• Yes

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • No

Votes: 11 78.6%

• Total voters

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
There is effectively no chance of this negatively affecting content creators. The only possibility is if the ad platform gets abandoned completely which will not happen. At least not rapidly.

Here's why. YouTube is not 100% supplied with ads. It's closer to 50% supplied with ads when last I heard. This means that there are twice as many views as there are ads to show on those views. This is not true in all sectors of course as some have higher competition than others, but in the general sense it is true, there are more views than ads. The relatively small number of people who will sign up for Red, compared to the number who will not, only remove a small amount of the available ad inventory. This means that the ad that would have been shown to that person will be shown to someone else who didn't subscribe to the service. This is totally added value to YouTubers.

Further to that, on average a single view is not worth much. It's much less than a penny per view. If you assume an average CPM of $8, RPM of $4.40, that's 0.0044 cents per view. Now, it's not that simple because ads are often based on clicks, so some can be worthwhile and some not so much. Who do you think clicks more ads? Someone who is going to sign up for a service like Red, or someone who won't? People signing up for Red aren't going to be high click ad consumers, rather they'll be the lowest of the low because they're the ones p****d off enough by ads to be willing to pay not to see any.

So, you take that $10 a month and turn it into a per view amount, after you take out around a 50% cut for YouTube (I haven't seen them comment on the exact value), average it over let's say 1000 views a month to 100 views a month. Each view from that user is then worth $0.005 to $0.05 PER VIEW. That's higher than the average CPM conversion. Much higher in some cases.

There is nothing negative about this at all in my view. Do the math for yourself.

Minor Correction: It's based on minutes watched, not individual views. This favors viewer loyalty and doesn't materially change my point.

Last edited:

Brinkbabe91

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hey! So Youtube Red starts in a few days, so I was wondering what your guys thought are on it? What do you think of them making your videos private if you don't opt in on the contract thing?

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Hey! So Youtube Red starts in a few days, so I was wondering what your guys thought are on it? What do you think of them making your videos private if you don't opt in on the contract thing?
Do you have to pay to opt in?

Trevgauntlet

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'd rather watch ads than to waste money on a useless service. Is it really true that YouTube Partners need to spend money in order to keep their videos in public?

Python Blue

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I only just learned about YouTube Red, personally. That being said, I too would like confirmation about whether YouTube Partners need to pay to use this new service.

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
There's a bit more info that is out now. The RED subscription isn't split on a per user basis. So if someone subs and only watched one video from one channel in a month, that channel doesn't get the 55% of the subscription that the person paid. Rather, there is a giant "Red" pool of sub money and it is distributed based on your channel's overall red minutes compared to total red minutes on YouTube. So it's not a good way for people to support their favorite creators as had been hoped.

It still doesn't make it bad for a video creator. Still a net positive. It's just not the nice potential boost that smaller channels with a really dedicated following had hoped for.

Reactions: Python Blue

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I'd rather watch ads than to waste money on a useless service. Is it really true that YouTube Partners need to spend money in order to keep their videos in public?
No You don't have to pay. I contacted Youtube Space again in LA. I was told that 90 percent of YouTube Accounts were automatically opted in to RED. Only the major Networks have to opt in manually. So Everyone is pretty much all set.[DOUBLEPOST=1445814368,1445814339][/DOUBLEPOST]
There's a bit more info that is out now. The RED subscription isn't split on a per user basis. So if someone subs and only watched one video from one channel in a month, that channel doesn't get the 55% of the subscription that the person paid. Rather, there is a giant "Red" pool of sub money and it is distributed based on your channel's overall red minutes compared to total red minutes on YouTube. So it's not a good way for people to support their favorite creators as had been hoped.

It still doesn't make it bad for a video creator. Still a net positive. It's just not the nice potential boost that smaller channels with a really dedicated following had hoped for.
That's not what a guy from Youtube LA Space told me. But I guess we will wait and see.

Reactions: Trevgauntlet

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I was told that 90 percent of YouTube Accounts were automatically opted in to RED.
There must be a misunderstanding. I doubt YT would arbitrarily opt in 90% of the channel's and tell 10% they had to opt in or else.