To Restart or Rebrand?

DanDaSimmer

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer
Hey YouTubers,

So the channel I run on YouTube I have had since 2008, and in a sense has grown along with me. What started out as a Sims video channel transgressed into an animation channel, then a vlog channel and now it's found its most success as being back to a Sims gaming channel. I am just shy of 450 subscribers, and due to a video or two (that are now hidden) that went low-key viral I have 55k total video views!

Here's my predicament
The Sims Let's Play videos are great for gaining a following that will have a conversation with me and interact with how I'm playing the game (though admittedly they are a bit embarrassing for me), but I also want the ability to post comedy videos, vlogs, lifestyle etc.
Do I keep my DanDaSimmer channel as my gaming channel and launch another channel as my lifestyle/ personal/ fun channel? Or do I run a channel that has gaming videos AND other style videos?

Obviously starting a new channel for my lifestyle videos means I lose those 440 subscribers and have to start from scratch which will be an effort, but I'm not sure how receptive subscribers will be to a multi-use channel? It's a difficult choice to make, because it's not easy to build up an a responsive audience, especially considering how many people are on YouTube these days.

Also, does starting a new channel under the same account as my original have any limitations for me- or will the "sub account" be fully functional?

I'm aware that on my channel I haven't uploaded since January, it's because I went overseas for two months and then had a big semester at uni, but I'm now on break and keen to get back to the channel! I have some content already created, waiting to be uploaded.

Thanks so much everyone,

Daniel

Last edited:

PictureFIT

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Why not create a new channel and then link it to your current channel? Place it as one of the featured channels and from time to time, you can promote the new channel in one of your videos.

Lrulesok

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I would say just keep with the same channel and build on it. If you lose a few subs because of your new content its better than losing 440.

MemoGaming

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Take a look at what you get more views on. If it is the gaming videos, I suggest keeping the channel dedicated to that and starting a separate lifestyle/vlog type channel. However if your vlog style type things are the most viewed, I would carry on with the games and vlogs on the same channel. Also, maybe ask your active subscribers what they think, they are actually going to be the people watching your content so asking them about it would be a good idea c:

RichGuitarGamer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
bro you havent uploaded in like 7 months whats beens happening? id say make a video on this channel stating new channel and then u can get as many active subs moving with you :)

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I would start a second channel for skits and such, since you already have a following for the Sims stuff on your current channel. You may not get everyone to follow you over there, but it may be better than losing subscribers who may not want to watch the other content on your main channel, which you've worked hard on building.

DanDaSimmer

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer
bro you havent uploaded in like 7 months whats beens happening?
Like I said, lived overseas and then had a hectic semester at university when I returned.

Take a look at what you get more views on. If it is the gaming videos, I suggest keeping the channel dedicated to that and starting a separate lifestyle/vlog type channel. However if your vlog style type things are the most viewed, I would carry on with the games and vlogs on the same channel. Also, maybe ask your active subscribers what they think, they are actually going to be the people watching your content so asking them about it would be a good idea c:
Thanks MemoGaming! My gaming videos are definitely the most watched ones I do, I think it's just a scary notion of starting a channel from scratch again- haha!

Reactions: MemoGaming

DanDaSimmer

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer
I would start a second channel for skits and such, since you already have a following for the Sims stuff on your current channel. You may not get everyone to follow you over there, but it may be better than losing subscribers who may not want to watch the other content on your main channel, which you've worked hard on building.
Thanks, Xingcat!
I think what you and MemoGaming said is what I had a gut feeling to do, but I needed somewhere to write it all out and ask for help?!

I'm thinking my best bet will be to promote personal videos to be on my new channel and gaming to be on DanDaSimmer. If anyone still watches my videos from before I focused on gaming, I'm sure they'll swing over and hit subscribe for me. If not? Time to get networking again. Haha!

Reactions: xingcat