Is it weird that I don't want people I know watching my vids?

Merlina Rodas

I've Got It
Reaction score
hey everyone,

So today I went to post a clip of one of my videos on Instagram and a lot of people I know, don't know about my channel yet... So I didn't post it :unsure2:

I don't know why, but I just suddenly started worrying about what they would think and I didn't want them to mention my videos the next time I saw some of these people (my coworkers for instance). I know I shouldn't worry about what others think, and should just enjoy what I'm doing but I couldn't help it.. I suddenly got shy!
Am I the only one who doesn't want friends and aquaintances to see my videos? How can I get over this weird "fear"?

Reactions: Audrone

Phunky

Reaction score
I think it's common. I don't tell anyone I know about my channels, and two of my other friends I met in college are the same way, one of them having 1.8 million subscribers. There is a third though, who's pretty open about it, and has a pokemon channel that hit 100k not too long ago.

Reactions: Merlina Rodas

GrimPeter

Reaction score
I actively avoid telling people about my channel. In fact, the beautiful thing about Youtube is I can pull the plug and delete my channel the instant someone I know finds it.

As for getting over the fear, I'm sure as you see growth and become more confident in your channel, it won't be such a big deal.

Reactions: FRANKIEandEMILY

Munchito696

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
hey everyone,

So today I went to post a clip of one of my videos on Instagram and a lot of people I know, don't know about my channel yet... So I didn't post it :unsure2:

I don't know why, but I just suddenly started worrying about what they would think and I didn't want them to mention my videos the next time I saw some of these people (my coworkers for instance). I know I shouldn't worry about what others think, and should just enjoy what I'm doing but I couldn't help it.. I suddenly got shy!
Am I the only one who doesn't want friends and aquaintances to see my videos? How can I get over this weird "fear"?
I guess it depends on the type of videos you do. Mine are easy to share because it's mostly dog videos. You don't see me in a whole lot of my videos, but even the ones where I say something weird or stupid I have no shame in them. My girlfriend's coworker asked her one day "Were you in a video where you guys took turns using a stun gun on each other? My wife swears she saw you in it." lol, I thought that was pretty funny because we did do a video like that. We made the video without the intentions of YouTube, it was just us being stupid and I found the footage later. It's now my second most watched video and I share it with friends and family once in a while.

What is your fear of sharing? Are you self conscious about them or are you shy? If I were to do a vlog or something I'd probably be more shy about sharing, but I'd start with people who are not judgmental and ask them what they think.

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
I am in a situation not too different from the OP. I prefer to leave on the internet what I do on the internet, for fear of being picked on and constantly made fun of because of it.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
People know I YouTube but very few people know my channel names as I find it embarrassing. I dont care if people I dont know judge me.

Uncle Eggnog

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm the same. I don't have Facebook Twitter etc anyway but I would be embarrassed if friends found out I do videos even though I shouldn't.

Edoziethe1and0nly

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Me too i think that my videos are reslly for the public for a certain sector and they are not so much for my diverse friend group with dissimilar interests.

AmberAndGolden

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I'm 100% the same, it feels so awkward knowing that someone I know might see my videos,
I think it's got a lot to do with the fact i'm 'putting on a face' in my videos, if that makes sense... it would be like talking to my friends/family using my retail voice LOL
I'm also embarrassed about my videos in a way because a lot of the time they're//// sub par? I guess? not very thrilling or interesting, and people might think that I'm being boring or wasting my time... I'm okay with strangers thinking that, but not my friends, jeez.

I honestly don't see the need to rush into it though, I think it's easier when you have a more substantial audience for some reason, though...

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Totally common and understandable. There are so many contexts for in-person relationships that aren't necessarily creative. I've had this feeling about coworkers coming to see plays I've written, or family members seeing me do comedy. Everybody is comfortable with different sets of their connections being aware of different parts of their lives.