Is it weird that I don't want people I know watching my vids?

Merlina Rodas

I've Got It
Reaction score
I guess it depends on the type of videos you do. Mine are easy to share because it's mostly dog videos. You don't see me in a whole lot of my videos, but even the ones where I say something weird or stupid I have no shame in them. My girlfriend's coworker asked her one day "Were you in a video where you guys took turns using a stun gun on each other? My wife swears she saw you in it." lol, I thought that was pretty funny because we did do a video like that. We made the video without the intentions of YouTube, it was just us being stupid and I found the footage later. It's now my second most watched video and I share it with friends and family once in a while.

What is your fear of sharing? Are you self conscious about them or are you shy? If I were to do a vlog or something I'd probably be more shy about sharing, but I'd start with people who are not judgmental and ask them what they think.
I dont even know what it is! A few of my close friends who have seen my videos say they're good but I guess I just feel self consious about the fact that I'm putting on my "youtube personality" a bit more professional and camera friendly than I am in real life haha maybe I just don't feel comfortable with my frienda seeing that yet?[DOUBLEPOST=1490918025,1490917914][/DOUBLEPOST]Thanks for all the replies! It's good to know thete are other people in the same boat and reading all these different views on it kind of gave me a better understanding of maybe why I feel this way

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
There is something you should always go by: Tell your YouTube audience what you have already told your family and friends. That way you will never have an issue. I don't care if my family or friends watch my videos. But, I also don't give up my darkest secrets in my content either. I primarily do car reviews and car show videos. Personal stuff rarely comes up!

Reactions: Merlina Rodas

Cidsa

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I felt weird about it at first but I review games so it's not exactly a terribly embarrassing thing and most people I know don't particularly care about games.

Now if I had something like a political or prank channel.. I'd be incredibly embarrassed to let anyone I know see.

Noobzilla

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
How can I get over this weird "fear"?
Action is the cure for anxiety and fear. I went to your channel and you post good videos that provide nice information to viewers. I can't tell you how to feel or what to do, but I would be proud if those were my videos and would probably want to share them around to real life friends/coworkers

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
My family knows about it and they don´t care that much, I know that a few of my friends see my vids but it seems like my closest friends doesn´t care!
The thing I find weird is the fact that people I meet through youtube wants to meet me in person though. That makes me uncomfortable!

Helen Czap

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Not weird at all! I don't want to show mines until later in the future when I'm more established.

ZakDTV

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
My father, brother, kids and my nieces know I do this that's it. I have pledged to myself that I am going to put it out on my social media on Monday. I have told myself I was going to do this one other time, I even said hi to them in my video and invited the torment that I know is coming. Fortunately(ish) my laptop died on me while I was editing and I decided I wouldn't put myself out there till I got it back from dell. Well that day was today so I typed my message I'm going to send to everyone on my friend list. I'm finishing up my intro, gonna make sure everything looks great and Monday I'm going Big. So for me how I am going to get over the fear is to dive right in like a cold creek in the summer. Get it over with and regret it after its already done. I will let yall know how it works out.

Cameron Arnold

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer, Other
Don't worry abour it i used to be just like you they're were people who waste their time trying to make me feel like i was nothing but thst inly want me to keep doing youtube ans making videos because its fun and I love it so don't worry about people ypu know see your video

Nathan Williams

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
hey everyone,

So today I went to post a clip of one of my videos on Instagram and a lot of people I know, don't know about my channel yet... So I didn't post it :unsure2:

I don't know why, but I just suddenly started worrying about what they would think and I didn't want them to mention my videos the next time I saw some of these people (my coworkers for instance). I know I shouldn't worry about what others think, and should just enjoy what I'm doing but I couldn't help it.. I suddenly got shy!
Am I the only one who doesn't want friends and aquaintances to see my videos? How can I get over this weird "fear"?
That's normal! Only one of my close mates knows I make videos but the rest don't. When you feel like you are ready share it with your friends but it's definitely not weird lol :)

MemoryOfWoe

Reaction score
I'm the same way, especially because of my profession. I don't want any of my students knowing my YouTube name or watching these videos. I'm trying my best to keep my channel family friendly, but there are times where that slips. I'd prefer that any future employment isn't at risk.