• Yes

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • No

Votes: 11 78.6%

• Total voters

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
They are missing a huge opportunity here, IMO. YouTube needs to create an incentive in addition to the ad-free viewing. It could be anything from customizable emojis or other such little nonsense, but there needs to be something you get that is better than just running adblock. The whole point of avoiding "piracy", which is where I classify Adblock, is to create a better service for the paying customer than the one the pirates get.

That's why Twitch subscriptions work. Sub only chat, custom emotes, direct known support to a creator. All tangible benefits.

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
A possible benefit is that people will be able temporarily download videos, presumably from WiFi, and watch the videos later rather than consuming their data plan during the day.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Or even some merchandising stuff for them. T-shirts, polo shirts, pens etc. It would be free advertising for the service when people ask how they got a YT T-shirt or whatever.

It's definitely an interesting development. I really hope they launch soon.

Reactions: Lightsen

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
This was talked about a year ago as a rumor and from what I researched from various YouTubers and some people I know that work for Google YouTube would actually being paying more to YouTubers if people subscribed. The reason being is because YouTube would calculate how many people who paid watched a video and then YouTube would estimate how many clicks that video would of generated. So technically you don't have to click on an ad anymore they pay you for what might be a click.

Moses Cheeks

Youtuber
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
the link doesnt work. I have no idea what is being talked about.

Scapestrato

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Thing is, how the hell are they going to share that monthly 10 bucks with each creator? Same model as now (earning x $ every 1000 views)?

I sense there would be something wrong as it's not like the advertisers that are paying 10 bucks for a fixed amount of views/clicks, as the paying subscribers would have an unlimited number of views available...

Reactions: Sk Jony

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thing is, how the hell are they going to share that monthly 10 bucks with each creator? Same model as now (earning x $ every 1000 views)?
The $5.50 (after Google's cut) will be shared by watch time. If that person watched only your videos, you get $5.50 of that subscriber's funds. If that person watch one hour of your content in the month but they watched nine hours of content from other people, you will get 1/10 (10%), 55 cents.

That sounds like a small amount but if you do the math, it is much more than you are currently earning with the views/ads system.

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Any idea's of when exactly this may launch?