How did you start?

• Total voters
Okay, so we used to love playing animal jam...Anyway, we would watch these animal jam YouTubers like Aparri and WisteriaMoon, and both of us had kind of been thinking about starting a channel before watching them, but we were kind of scared to start it alone and never talked about it together. Watching Aparri and WisteriaMoon together kind of started making us think of video ideas for some reason. We started talking about starting our own personal channels, and we never did, but we talked about it a lot. Then one day, we were extremely bored, so we finally got it started, and set it up that day, and made plans! So glad we started making videos. We love it!

Julia and Claire

I made videos which my fellow students and even teachers (!) watched. It got a bit excessive so I made a YouTube channel and put them there. Pretty neat story I'd say.

I just enjoy the variety of skills you get to learn whilst gaming at the same time and also the social interaction even though sometimes it's negative! :)

I do it as a hobby. I've been playing video games for most of my life so I figured I should upload some of the games and I play in hopes of getting noticed. I don't want to make youtube a career like most youtube gamers, but I figured if the slightest chance I get notice and start making a little money by playing video games then it's an extra source of income for me doing what I love.

I remember when Youtube first got steam rolling. And people like WheezyWaiter and LiveLavaLive were a thing. I was in high school then. And all I knew was that these people seemed awfully relatable. Like I understood this sense of humor and that it may translate well for me. So, I started uploading when I joined a collab channel. As that was the thing to do. Joined three, actually. And found myself giving advice I hadn't exactly started following yet. But, I ran into a road block. Because this advice was empty. Didn't really hold impact. I left. But, returned in 2016 because I began to watch youtube again. Remembering how much I loved Vlogging when I just enjoyed myself. And, I still talked all my old vlogging friends. It really helped me where I am now. Doing videos I want to do.

For me, I always wanted to do Youtube but back when I wanted to start I was in high school and didn't really think I could make interesting content. I did try once with a friend but I quit and decided to no do it. However, after some inspiration and not getting work this summer I decided to give it a go again and hopefully this time I make some waves.

So, the reason I joined YouTube is, I would assume, fairly common, but then again, this might be a unique story.

When I first joined YouTube in March 2010, I opened a channel to simply leave a comment on a Shane Dawson video. That was it. I had no desire to make videos or anything. But after I left the comment, I was looking about the settings page on my channel and I saw an "e-mail address" you can send videos from your phone and it goes to your channel. Well, I decided to save that e-mail address into my phone, and later that night, my brother and I were in the car being random and strange and I decided to film us and I posted it to YouTube. I thought that was the coolest thing ever because I made a video that lots of people could possibly see. Ever since then, I have been in love with making videos, learning different ways to make videos. I am actually in college right now studying videography. So, YouTube has impacted me so much.

Unfortunately, my original channel is gone (I deleted it. I highly regret it to this day), but what I've been doing with my current channel has been a blast. I recently parted ways with making comedy skit videos (think of a typical Smosh video); now, my focus is on vlogging. I still make stop motion videos and Flash animation videos every once and a while.

I hope that whoever is reading this decides to check out my channel and if you like what you see, you show some love to that Subscribe button!

The reason why I post on youtube is in the name of my videos which is "express authentically". I wanted to create a space where I made videos discussing topics that don't always place us in the best light but are as much a part of us as the good things in life.

I feel like society says it's okay to be expressive, but people's actions speak differently and that's not okay. I wanted to be relatable to others so people could know it's okay to feel emotions and go through things, and to know that you don't have to be afraid to be vulnerable. We all feel pain, embarrassment, regret, loneliness, heartbreak, anger, resentment, etc. these things make us as much as happiness, love, peace and so on.

No matter if I am sharing a personal story or a poem; I want viewers to leave my channel feeling connected to somebody that is genuine, and authentic all the way through. That's the mark I want to leave.

Hi, I loved reading this! I think it's so great that you got over your camera shyness because I definitely still struggle with this. It's funny because I have hosted live events and my own radio show and never gotten tongue twisted, but when it's just me and my camera in my room I don't know what happens, but I freeze up lol. One day I hope it doesn't take me as many takes as it does now to produce a video. Thank you for sharing your story.

This question has been asked several times on the forum and I would like to explain my answer in a little bit of detail:

Youtube has changed me. Before I began my channel early this year, I was an extremely camera shy person with a big inferiority complex. I was convinced to do this by another Youtuber who makes really good vlogs and is extremely comfortable in front of the camera. Being a Youtube personality really appealed to me and I wanted to give it a try not so much to be rich or famous, but to conquer my insecurities.

It was a big step for me because I didn’t quite know how to begin. I had a camera and a hobby but my biggest problem was, and sometimes still is, how to avoid getting tongue tied when the red light is blinking. My first few videos were awful. So awful that they never made it onto my Youtube channel. The first few videos that I did upload are better but still not great.

As I filmed more and more, the videos got better but I concede they still could use improvement. My very first uploaded video, which is my Homemade Doughnuts was the scariest because I filmed the first part of it in a public place (the gym) with a bunch of people, some I knew, others I didn’t standing around watching me. I planned it out a week in advance and even remembered a brief script in my head. I would recite the script out loud in my car while driving everyday until I got it right. It was a success. It was a huge step in overcoming the awkwardness we all feel about filming in public. I still go back and watch that video because I believe it was a turning point for me.

The biggest change is that the camera shyness is completely gone. In fact, I now love being in front of the camera and willing to do things I would never consider doing in the past such as dancing, wearing NO makeup, and acting like a clown. I can’t see myself not doing this because I’m really having so much fun now.

That is why I Youtube

Back