YouTubers Make Too Much?

LeGenDaryPuLse

Rhythm Savage
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
So recently a statistic was shown after a hacker group hacked into Markiplier's account and leaked how much he made in the month of November. I won't share the exact number due to privacy reasons for him but, he made well over 500k in that month. This sparked a bunch of people saying that YouTubers shouldn't be able to make this much money or they make too much money. Another opinion was that they shouldn't get paid this much because they don't put in as much effort as other occupations. What do you think? I think that as long as people make their money legally than they should be able to keep on making it no matter how high it is. So I have no problem with Markiplier making more money than a doctor because, he earned that money himself legally.

mrarauzz

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Should celebrities be able to make a lot? At the end of the day it is all about advertisement. They put in work for their vids...not as much as other professions, but its all ad revenue. Being a high profile figure just makes it easier to make money via ads. That being said I use adblock so yea.

Ninja

Professional Funny Guy
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer, Commentator
Those earnings are an estimate. He is making quite a bit less than that since his network takes a cut, as well as taxes. Still he's making quite a bit of money, but that's chump change compared to a professional athlete and no-one seems to complain about how much they make.

MeowCaptain

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
With the amount of work needed to get a high enough revenue, yes, definitely. They put enough work into their videos to get people to watch them and be entertained, so they deserve to be paid, just like celebrities.

Kirgle

"taking a swipe at everything"
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I know it sounds callous, but big youtubers jobs are to sell adds.
The actors from big bang theory get $1mil and episode because they sell alot of adds.
This Mark fellow makes 500k a month because he has marketable add space.
Consider Youtubes take of this as well. would be millions - from one account!

LiveLoopers

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
You would have to go a LOOOOOOOONG way down the list of who makes obscene amounts of unjustified money before you would ever get to Markiplier. If there are really people arguing that people are not going to aspire to be doctors and rocket scientists now because they're going to be Let's Play YouTubers.... well that's true enough, but you would have to go a loooong way down the list of what's f'd up about capitalism before you would get to that problem.

Reactions: darkstarmedia

babyteeth4

Taking over the world... ...one kid at a time!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think he deserves every last dime that he earns. The market determines the dollar value of someone's work, nothing else. Some people get upset when they confuse dollar value with importance or what they perceive as fairness. Every job's value is determined by market forces, so there's no such thing as "too much" other than just a point of argument.

Jawad Soomro

I'm a Human!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
Advertisers are only bothered about others watching their ADS. Obviously their ad will be watched much more easily through larger channels like Markiplier. Since he is the content creator, he deserves to get paid for what he is doing, even though he is earning higher than the doctor, it is all about his hard work.

ShyGirlGetsLoud

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Um too much money??? HAHA HAHA. I agree with you that there I'd nothing wrong with that at all.

Mithril

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
No, I don't think YouTubers make too much money at all. Every cent that they get has been willingly handed over to them by their customers or viewers. No one forces people to hand over their money. They are just receiving compensation for the improvement that they have made in people's lives.

If audiences didn't enjoy the content, they wouldn't watch the videos or buy merchandise and the creator wouldn't make any money. However, it's been proven that people do want this content so they are willing to pay in their time to watch advertisements or buy merchandise.

It's a positive relationship for everyone involved so there's really no reason to be upset over the amount that they make.