It's so true ,sometimes the thumbnails YouTube picks are so ridiculously that it makes me feel like it's random! However other times, it chose the same exact clip as the one I chose and it made me feel more confident about it!

I could be wrong, but I think YouTube Algorithm is much more complex with many layers upon layers than people think! Their formula might have hundreds of variables (watch time, clicks, engagement...etc) with different percentages vary for each variable and even different percentages for different types of videos! YouTube been saying watch time is the number one factor on determining if the video gets promoted. However, maybe watch time only counts for 15% (number could be way higher or lower, I'm just making it up) of the overall formula! They can say watch time is the top property and still be right if other variables are at a lower percentage by itself. If a video have low watch time but high click rate, engagement... and others, it could make up for the lost percentage of low watch time and still be promoted. Again I could be completely wrong, but I just don't think it is one single factor that determines the success of the video and the Algorithm is much more complicated than people give credit for!

So to answer your question, Emily Tube might not have a long description for SEO purpose, but they been doing the bad baby thing that's such a popular trend right now. They do put key words (bad baby)in their title and tag and have pretty good thumbnails! So we can't say just focus on an amazing thumbnail to get kids to click on the video and assume that's is the main determining factor to get YouTube to promote the videos! Family Fun Pack doesn't focus on their title for SEO purpose, and tend to target people that can read but have a pretty good description on most of their videos that have target keywords. I believe Family Fun Pack audience are a little older maybe 6 and up that can read. So I think you have to know your audience and know if you should focus on catchy title or long and descriptive title for the algorithm.

I think starting out, you should do everything you can to optimize your videos to give it the best chance at being promoted. Sure I've seen many videos with not great thumbnail, no description, hardly any tag and still have millions of views on it, but most of the time, that success is not repeated onto their other videos. I know it's a lot of work to think of great descriptions,tags, titles, great thumbnail, but with thousands of videos and hundreds of channels doing the same thing as you are, you have to make yourself stand out, even if it only increase your chance by 1% to be promoted! That's 1% more than another similar channels! When I was starting out, I also spend time doing close caption!

Many big Youtubers lately said they are losing views because YouTube are not showing their videos to their subscribers. Many people said the homepage focus on recommended videos rather than showing videos people are subscribe too. If thats true, how can YouTube recommend your videos if they dont have enough information on what your video is about? I watch a video on a big Youtuber talking to YouTube directly and asking them why he's losing views. He said YouTube tells him to work on his description.
Maybe that's a hint for him to put more key words into his description to get a higher chance of being recommended?

As for Adwords, I have no clue since I never done it before! Someone on here told me not to because it will kill the video retention rate if you don't target it correct. So I was too scare to try. However I heard other channels have success so maybe they can help you on that!

Sorry for the long post, it's way longer than I expected! Sorry about typing errors also!

Last edited:
Your advice is always helpful thank you beyond words. I really appreciate the lengthy advice seriously lol Some days I'm confused as YT is trial and error and it's great to discuss with you as your success on YT is extraordinary. Starting out is never easy especially for a mom wearing many hats at home it could be discouraging when the results aren't instant or barely :/ But I'm glad to discuss this with you to improve.

It would be a lifesaver if YT chose optimal thumbnails as it's important for us and a headache to pick! lol What drives me nuts is I still get some fuzz on my thumbnail pictures even with 1280 and high resolution. I started using size1920 as I heard it's better and using PicMonkey but may have to switch to Photoshop for clear sharp images. Recently with the new algo changes I also see many YouTubers complaining of glitches and lost subs/views. IMO YT is a billion dollar company and glitches shouldn't just happen for
no reason. I believe they are making it more challenging for dominate channels that are not optimizing as they should to give smaller channels a chance. This way viewers can be introduced to new channels rather than the same channels say PewDewPie that uploads constantly without much SEO work needed which dominates the space other gaming channels don't have a chance. YT is a business and more options is important for them. Kudos to him with over 50 mil subs!

Last edited:
It's so true ,sometimes the thumbnails YouTube picks are so ridiculously that it makes me feel like it's random! However other times, it chose the same exact clip as the one I chose and it made me feel more confident about it!

I could be wrong, but I think YouTube Algorithm is much more complex with many layers upon layers than people think! Their formula might have hundreds of variables (watch time, clicks, engagement...etc) with different percentages vary for each variable and even different percentages for different types of videos! YouTube been saying watch time is the number one factor on determining if the video gets promoted. However, maybe watch time only counts for 15% (number could be way higher or lower, I'm just making it up) of the overall formula! They can say watch time is the top property and still be right if other variables are at a lower percentage by itself. If a video have low watch time but high click rate, engagement... and others, it could make up for the lost percentage of low watch time and still be promoted. Again I could be completely wrong, but I just don't think it is one single factor that determines the success of the video and the Algorithm is much more complicated than people give credit for!

So to answer your question, Emily Tube might not have a long description for SEO purpose, but they been doing the bad baby thing that's such a popular trend right now. They do put key words (bad baby)in their title and tag and have pretty good thumbnails! So we can't say just focus on an amazing thumbnail to get kids to click on the video and assume that's is the main determining factor to get YouTube to promote the videos! Family Fun Pack doesn't focus on their title for SEO purpose, and tend to target people that can read but have a pretty good description on most of their videos that have target keywords. I believe Family Fun Pack audience are a little older maybe 6 and up that can read. So I think you have to know your audience and know if you should focus on catchy title or long and descriptive title for the algorithm.

I think starting out, you should do everything you can to optimize your videos to give it the best chance at being promoted. Sure I've seen many videos with not great thumbnail, no description, hardly any tag and still have millions of views on it, but most of the time, that success is not repeated onto their other videos. I know it's a lot of work to think of great descriptions,tags, titles, great thumbnail, but with thousands of videos and hundreds of channels doing the same thing as you are, you have to make yourself stand out, even if it only increase your chance by 1% to be promoted! That's 1% more than another similar channels! When I was starting out, I also spend time doing close caption!

Many big Youtubers lately said they are losing views because YouTube are not showing their videos to their subscribers. Many people said the homepage focus on recommended videos rather than showing videos people are subscribe too. If thats true, how can YouTube recommend your videos if they dont have enough information on what your video is about? I watch a video on a big Youtuber talking to YouTube directly and asking them why he's losing views. He said YouTube tells him to work on his description.
Maybe that's a hint for him to put more key words into his description to get a higher chance of being recommended?

As for Adwords, I have no clue since I never done it before! Someone on here told me not to because it will kill the video retention rate if you don't target it correct. So I was too scare to try. However I heard other channels have success so maybe they can help you on that!

Sorry for the long post, it's way longer than I expected! Sorry about typing errors also!

When your channel started to grow did it grow right away? Or did it take some time?

Thanks so much!![DOUBLEPOST=1482279063,1482278938][/DOUBLEPOST]
How do YouTubers manage time wisely and what schedule works best for you to upload daily and still have a "normal life"?

For example, I have a week footage for our new channel Kids Fun Reviews featuring my toddlers (which is a job in itself lol) and I would like an idea how youtubers spend on time management. Ideally having a kids channel I would need to upload daily. I see myself spending a couple hours on editing then some time on thumbnail and SEO preparation is what I spend most time.

Im aware YT is a full-time investment so I would like to use my time wisely and not procrastinate. I do work outside of YT and plan to until I'm able to receive income from our channel.

How did you succeed in uploading daily? Is there a method you use to keep things flowing on a ritual schedule like prewritten note of tags, default information set on the channel, etc?

Time is important for me as I do it all on my own and don't have much free time no nanny & no school while I'm
home. At night after kids are asleep is when I'm able to work on YT. I do want this to be successful and trying to figure a reasonable schedule. I'm curious how successful channels navigate this?

Haha I do most of mine daily! Which probably isn't a great idea! Also, I do videos everyday but thinking about stepping it down a bit. Do you do videos every day? I was working part time from home, but decided to pursue our yt channel. Toddlers lol That's a job in itself, i know! lol

When your channel started to grow did it grow right away? Or did it take some time?

We got our first paycheck 3 months in and it was barely over the minimum amount to get paid. It picked up 4-5months in when one video got picked to be suggested and brings in the views. I would say every major spike that we had, just comes out of no where and totally unexpected. Sometimes it stays,sometimes it goes back down!

We got our first paycheck 3 months in and it was barely over the minimum amount to get paid. It picked up 4-5months in when one video got picked to be suggested and brings in the views. I would say every major spike that we had, just comes out of no where and totally unexpected. Sometimes it stays,sometimes it goes back down!

Wow, that's so awesome! We had a spike in viewership over Thanksgiving but seems to be going back down haha Crazy Algro! Love your channel btw. I love how you all seem to have fun with it!

Hello, hello! Please try to keep future discussion on topic of the original post (regarding uploads schedule). Off topic discussion can be had individually via PM or profile posts. Thanks

I upload (or rather publish) daily and I have a full-time job and 2 kids. But the videos I chose to do require much less work than yours, so I can do them much faster. Plus I can work on them at work and at home. My videos only require me, so no needing to coordinate with anyone else. I honestly got tired just reading about the amount of work that goes into your kind of channel. There's no way I'd be able to keep at it if mine took anywhere close to your workload. I'd lose interest very early on. Definitely props to you!

It's funny you mention Paw Patrol and Bubble Gubbies, though, because my videos that feature those are some of my more popular ones.

Back