Our % retention from Adwords has plummeted in the last 2 weeks.
Something has changed, perhaps related to the algorithm update???
Perhaps Google is now sending ads to any viewers, even "low quality" ones (by this I mean viewers with low retention). => Targeting settings are still in place as always, it's just the viewers watch less and drop off quicker.
Or perhaps something else has changed with how Yt works with Google ads, algorithmically.
We've stopped all our ad campaigns now, there is no point paying for low retention views that hurt the video and channel.
If anyone is experiencing something similar, post your details pls, try to understand what is happening.
Interesting to know... I only use Adwords on our small channel, but I haven't looked carefully at retention for about 2 weeks... you've piqued my curiosity!

How exactly do you use adwords? Did it help out your channel? Do you use it for each video or just your channel? Not sure exactly how to use it.

Thanks!!

You set a video as an ad, add keywords and any other targeting you want, such as age groups, geography, parent status, set a CPC, say 1 or 2 cents now it's close to Chrissy, and let it run. It allocates your daily budget, you set it to $10-$20 per day or whatever you allocate, and watch the retention carefully.

Check out KiddieToysReview's posts... they have given a lot of helpful and detailed info on this forum.

Haha I did.. I'm still at a loss[DOUBLEPOST=1482256879,1482256824][/DOUBLEPOST]
You set a video as an ad, add keywords and any other targeting you want, such as age groups, geography, parent status, set a CPC, say 1 or 2 cents now it's close to Chrissy, and let it run. It allocates your daily budget, you set it to $10-$20 per day or whatever you allocate, and watch the retention carefully.

Thank you! Mine was just approved so we shall see :)

Haha I did.. I'm still at a loss

Search for @FamilyToyReview posts, they are the original source of all our knowledge, and what we based our campaigns on.
Although with the recent algo changes, some of the advice may be dated now (from our posts too going to early/mid '16)[DOUBLEPOST=1482257106,1482256927][/DOUBLEPOST]
Interesting to know... I only use Adwords on our small channel, but I haven't looked carefully at retention for about 2 weeks... you've piqued my curiosity!
Let us know what you find... something foul may be afoot....

Would you recommend using any video as an ad, or making a video specifically for that purpose?
We used our normal videos. Idea is to build engagement and views on your videos.
Some channels do make a 30 seconds trailer, and run that as an in-stream ad. However, in-stream ads are usually used by brands building awareness (like today I keep getting Ford ads in front of videos I watch).

Back