Trying out Adwords, your experience?

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have about 8 videos, do you think I should upload more before spending money on adwords? Or should I just give it a go?

Thanks in advance.
I recommend at least 30-40 videos, perhaps even 40+, in addition to several playlists all setup and decked out. When you bring viewers to your channel you need to give them a reason to sub. If they see 15-20 videos, they likely won't. You need to show them you are serious, have good and broad content, and will give them value (entertainment).

Also all your End Screens & Cards need to be setup and cross-promoting. I would also recommend a $10-$20/day investment into each new release video to get the initial 24-48 hr spike and cross-over engagement to other videos and playlists. Also thumbnails should be tightly optimized for your target audience and in line with what they expect from similar videos.

Adwords is a long-term strategy. I think many people here give it a bad rap as they try it for a few days, a few videos, or a few weeks, and apart from a few views/subs, that's it. It's not a magic bullet, but can & should form part of a channel's long-term brand building and marketing strategy. Virtually every business is built with advertising these days, a Yt channel is no exception (unless you make a highly viral or unusual video, or have access to some really cool tech or first mover advantage in a product).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Best thing ever! It went, and goes, fantastic every day. Although $25 is ok for an experiment, it won't do much channel wise.
How exactly do you use adwords? Did it help out your channel? Do you use it for each video or just your channel? Not sure exactly how to use it.

Thanks!!

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
In the last 7 days - my ads have had 42k impressions but only 1 click!

The button not working is intentional

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Our % retention from Adwords has plummeted in the last 2 weeks.
Something has changed, perhaps related to the algorithm update???
Perhaps Google is now sending ads to any viewers, even "low quality" ones (by this I mean viewers with low retention). => Targeting settings are still in place as always, it's just the viewers watch less and drop off quicker.
Or perhaps something else has changed with how Yt works with Google ads, algorithmically.
We've stopped all our ad campaigns now, there is no point paying for low retention views that hurt the video and channel.
If anyone is experiencing something similar, post your details pls, try to understand what is happening.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Our % retention from Adwords has plummeted in the last 2 weeks.
Something has changed, perhaps related to the algorithm update???
Perhaps Google is now sending ads to any viewers, even "low quality" ones (by this I mean viewers with low retention). => Targeting settings are still in place as always, it's just the viewers watch less and drop off quicker.
Or perhaps something else has changed with how Yt works with Google ads, algorithmically.
We've stopped all our ad campaigns now, there is no point paying for low retention views that hurt the

Really? Your channel seems to be taking off though..? Did Google ads help you in the past?