Softbox or ring light?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm looking into buying lights for my camera , right I'm only using natural lighting and it looks beautiful, but there's a few cons to it like when I need to film and the weather isn't the best so then I can't film a video and In the winter the lighting is going to be terrible. What type of lighting should I get a soft on or a ring light? And what specific brand should I go with? The type of videos I make are comed, skits, storytime and sometimes tutorials but not very often, I will be doing music on my channel soon

jack_penton

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I had a similar dilemma and after watching a few comprehensive reviews I decided to buy a ring light. It was the most portable and I always buy the most practical option. The ring light I own allows me to place my camera in the middle and therefore acts as a 2-in-1 tripod and light.

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I had a similar dilemma and after watching a few comprehensive reviews I decided to buy a ring light. It was the most portable and I always buy the most practical option. The ring light I own allows me to place my camera in the middle and therefore acts as a 2-in-1 tripod and light.
Where did you get and what brand is it? Does the lighting look good?

jack_penton

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Where did you get and what brand is it? Does the lighting look good?
The light I am using is by a company called 'Neewer®'. You can purchase one from amazon for just under £100. It is dimmable so can be suitable for a variety of situations and I think the lighting is very good. It has been labelled 'best cheap YouTube light money can buy'. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Courtney Candice

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I normally use Softbox Photography Studio Lights for my shoots. Approximately around $200-$400 for a set depending on where you look. Sure they take a bit of time to lug around the home or office but they tend to work beautifully. For on the go shoots that don't require as much I tend to stick to portable L.E.D lights that allow you to adjust how much power the light receives.

I've only used a ring light once. And the photoshoot involved a bathtub. It lit up the scene beautifully and would recommend those again. Not sure on the price.

Either way I see it just depends on portability, price and convenience on which kind of light(s) you decide to go with. Best of luck! =]

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I normally use Softbox Photography Studio Lights for my shoots. Approximately around $200-$400 for a set depending on where you look. Sure they take a bit of time to lug around the home or office but they tend to work beautifully. For on the go shoots that don't require as much I tend to stick to portable L.E.D lights that allow you to adjust how much power the light receives.

I've only used a ring light once. And the photoshoot involved a bathtub. It lit up the scene beautifully and would recommend those again. Not sure on the price.

Either way I see it just depends on portability, price and convenience on which kind of light(s) you decide to go with. Best of luck! =]
Thank you! Is the video where you used the ring light on your channel? so I can see what it looks like

jack_penton

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thank you! Is the video where you used the ring light on your channel? so I can see what it looks like
The only video I have posted on my channel was shot entirely outside so there was no need to use it! However, I have been using it for various college assignments and have been pleased with the results. I have no doubts I will be posting a video while using it in the future. In the meantime, I found a review of the exact product which you can watch. Christian James does a great job with the comparison. Search 'The Best Cheap YouTube Light Money Can Buy' on YouTube to find the video.

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
It unfortunately is not. The video/photography I helped with while using a ring light was someone else's creation and I was under contract. =\
But it did turn out very well.

Reactions: Courtney Candice

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The only video I have posted on my channel was shot entirely outside so there was no need to use it! However, I have been using it for various college assignments and have been pleased with the results. I have no doubts I will be posting a video while using it in the future. In the meantime, I found a review of the exact product which you can watch. Christian James does a great job with the comparison. Search 'The Best Cheap YouTube Light Money Can Buy' on YouTube to find the video.
Thanks

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I moved this to the video editing / hardware discussion forum. ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.