Softbox or ring light?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highfalutin' Low Carb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I use both - at the same time - but I'm lighting my kitchen and myself. I use three softboxes to brighten the whole kitchen and then use the ring light around the camera to provide extra light to my face.

I bought the set of three soft boxes on Amazon for like $150, and it even came with a standing backdrop and a black, white and a green screen. I bought the Neewer ring light that's around $120 on Amazon. All have been a great purchase and used in every video.

Reactions: Courtney Candice

Sally Morgan

Reaction score
Hi - I'm a professional make-up artist and beauty influencer, so taking good photos is critical for my career. I got rid of my old soft boxes a couple of years ago, and my ring light is my most valuable piece of equipment. It's so easy to carry around when I'm travelling to clients, it's super quick to set up, and I only need this one light for all of my shots, I don't know what I would do without it! The fact that the light is coming from all angles around the subject ensures that all shadows from uneven skin and pimples is eliminated. The finished product is flawless and very flattering (my clients and followers are always impressed!). I recently replaced my fluorescent ring light with an LED version. It is much brighter than the old fluorescent one with a great colour rendering index. The best bit is it is fully dimmable so you can have it as dim or as bright as you like.

Last edited by a moderator:

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi - I'm a professional make-up artist and beauty influencer, so taking good photos is critical for my career. I got rid of my old soft boxes a couple of years ago, and my ring light is my most valuable piece of equipment. It's so easy to carry around when I'm travelling to clients, it's super quick to set up, and I only need this one light for all of my shots, I don't know what I would do without it! The fact that the light is coming from all angles around the subject ensures that all shadows from uneven skin and pimples is eliminated. The finished product is flawless and very flattering (my clients and followers are always impressed!). I recently replaced my fluorescent ring light with an LED version from a UK company called Radiance Ring. It was a really good quality light and their customer service is top notch! It is much brighter than the old fluorescent one with a great colour rendering index. The best bit is it is fully dimmable so you can have it as dim or as bright as you like.
Thanks for the feedback:) but this post is about a year old and I now have both and umbrella lights.:)

Reactions: KatyAdelson

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Okay, then I've locked this thread since it's old and the OP has found an answer! ^_^

Reactions: Crown
Status
Not open for further replies.