clerick

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
They increased the req to get into it again.
Starting today we’re changing the eligibility requirement for monetization to 4,000 hours of watchtime within the past 12 months and 1,000 subscribers. We’ve arrived at these new thresholds after thorough analysis and conversations with creators like you. They will allow us to significantly improve our ability to identify creators who contribute positively to the community and help drive more ad revenue to them (and away from bad actors). These higher standards will also help us prevent potentially inappropriate videos from monetizing which can hurt revenue for everyone.

Back-of-the-envelope calculation:

Assuming an average watch time of 2:30 per video (typical for many channels) then 10,000 views would be just over 400 hours.

Which means 4000 hours is TEN TIMES HARDER, at least in some sense.
https://youtube-creators.googleblog.com/2018/01/additional-changes-to-youtube-partner.html

Lekjih

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yeah, I just read that. Doesn't bother me. I'm so far from it anyway and I want to youtube for the sake of it as a side to my irl moey making. Be interesting to see if it helps.

clerick

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I honestly think its a great change, 10k was too low. This will absolutely devastate the reuploader for money channels as they need to dedicate time/resources and approval to make one scam channel monetizable. Furthermore 100k-300k views is peanuts in terms of dollars, and small channels shouldnt be running ads to begin with as it drives people away when you have no fanbase to speak off. Get to 10k subs or so and then get monetization.

MyBigBrain

I've Got It
Reaction score
A month ago, I removed a link to my website from hundreds of my videos because I read somewhere that YT wants people to remain engaged on YT. I thought that sending people off YT would hurt my chances of being monetized.

Now my chances of being monetized are zero, so time to put back the link to my website. :D

MyBigBrain

I've Got It
Reaction score
Click farms will be profiting from this. Stupid channels that pay for fake subs and views will get a nasty surprise when they apply for monetization. :D

Chol7024

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Well, there was an update announcement to the number of views to get review for ads. But this time all new creator like you and I will have to forget about 10000 views. Yes we have to think about 4000 watch hours and 1000 sub.

Will you continuous or give it up?

Reactions: danikempvlogs

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
New creators applying to the YouTube Partner Program will need to have accumulated 4,000 hours of video watch-time for their videos within the past 12 months and have 1,000 subscribers to be eligible to earn advertising revenue from their channels.

YouTube will enforce the new eligibility policy for all existing channels as of February 20th, meaning that channels that fail to meet the threshold will no longer be able to make income from ads.

Reactions: chubbybots

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Bad news for small creators or people wanting to start a new channel. Good news for those already established.

It will weed out the people thinking they are going to make a quick buck by flooding the site with bad content. I expect the amount of people begging for subscribers and those paying to gain subscribers to go up exponentially though. It took me 2 years to hit 1000 subscribers. It also took me in my second year to roughly break 4,000 watch hours in a year. Now I am hitting that watch requirement in a quarter of a year. in 2017 I hit 25,000 watch hours. I am safe. But if the shore it up even further, killing my monetization they would push me away. I rely on the revenue stream to purchase my editing software monthly, and save up for new equipment. It still is a hobby that costs more than in brings in, but I can see the tipping point on the horizon. Just a year or so away if everything keeps working out.