offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I’m curious what happens when someone wants to apply for partnership and they have copyrighted music that YouTube has listed as being available to use on their creator section

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
The most ironic thing is the 'bad actors' posting the 'inappropriate content' are already on your channel and will not be affected by this. And you're still giving them money. What a joke. If there was some other true competitor, I'd close my channel now and restart there tonight.

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
For me, It´s sad that my main channel will get demonetised, a channel that I have been working on for over three years now.
I was a bit demoralised before, but this might even push me further away from youtube, which is sad, because it feels like the hard work would be for nothing!

Reactions: Alexander Hoff

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
The most ironic thing is the 'bad actors' posting the 'inappropriate content' are already on your channel and will not be affected by this. And you're still giving them money. What a joke. If there was some other true competitor, I'd close my channel now and restart there tonight.
Bad actors??? What!?

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I feel like I'm probably remembering this completely wrong, but for some reason I remember the partner program (when it first came out back in like 2007 or so) was only available for the really big channels with upwards of 100k subscribers.. I remember being really surprised when they opened it up for everyone to be eligible to apply to become a partner.

The big channels that started a decade ago (before monetization was a thing) originally posted many videos "just for fun." Initially, there was no money available at all, and I really liked the genuine "old YouTube" mentality. Since then, it's been turned into a big money-machine. I think this will push new creators a bit more into the old original YouTube mindset -- which is a little better, imo.

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Bad actors??? What!?
That's what the blog post from YouTube is saying. They're doing this to 'ensure they'll keep out the bad actors that might post inappropriate content that could hurt your revenue' when it's their biggest Youtubers that are saying the N word in streams and filming dead bodies.

When it comes to the smaller channels, Logan Paul screwed us all.

DarkLiberator

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
4,000 watchtime hours is going to be a major hurdle for some talented smaller channels I know.

Someone mentioned this might be targeted against scam channels that make a new channel, upload a stolen video and ez money, problem is what about the established channels that already do that? They're probably in the clear over the requirements.

This may encourage sales for fake subs. I wonder how stringent Youtube will be in checking for that.

WebSam

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I can see why they did this update, and I'm sure it won't put off dedicated people wanting to create content. I know I won't reach the threshold anytime soon, but I swear if Amazon (or someone else) comes to the party and creates something slightly better, YT will suffer.

It will be interesting to see how all of this plays out.

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I am a bit conflicted with this. I have recently put a lot of effort into my channel. a big part of my motivation for doing that was because I was eligible for monetization. due to some old videos I randomly put up years ago. in the last month and a half I have gained 13 subscribers my content has improved greatly.

anilitics.jpg

to reach the threshold to be able to remain monetized within the next 30 days is a unrealistic goal and rather discouraging. I have never had any strikes every video that has been flagged has been approved threw manual review. I have only ever made original content. I have invested some money in being able to make quality video and had planned on investing more. but there has to be a possibility for a return on investment. although I don't expect it to be profitable the possibility needs to exist. I am conflicted now if I will continue.

keviin

Reaction score
Today I saw this blog post. They are saying if you achieve 4,000 hours of watch time within the past 12 months and 1,000 subscribers than you are qualified to enable monetization. is it true?