Intro or no intro?

TheAustrianGuys

TeaRoller
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It depends on the type of the intro. If it is short, simple and visually appealing I think you've got a good mix right there. You can even add a "signature sound" to your intro, if it is unique and fitting (thinking of one of my favourite youtubers whose intro is about 2 seconds long and has a very fitting sound effect).

One last thing you might already heard or know. PLEASE never ever use a 3D-font (unless it's unique maybe?) and dubstep music for an intro or, god forbid, even a minecraft intro! These are considered either lazy, cringey or even "cancer" all over YouTube will more likely scare people away from your channel!

Reactions: Liam O’Doyle

Liam O’Doyle

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Guru, Vlogger, Reviewer
It depends on the type of the intro. If it is short, simple and visually appealing I think you've got a good mix right there. You can even add a "signature sound" to your intro, if it is unique and fitting (thinking of one of my favourite youtubers whose intro is about 2 seconds long and has a very fitting sound effect).

One last thing you might already heard or know. PLEASE never ever use a 3D-font (unless it's unique maybe?) and dubstep music for an intro or, god forbid, even a minecraft intro! These are considered either lazy, cringey or even "cancer" all over YouTube will more likely scare people away from your channel!
100%!!!! No dubstep or or rancid 3D font.
Mine has a 3 second clip of one of my own songs (i use my own beats in my vlogs) and plain white background the channel name flashes up to the beat twice and its gone before you’ve even read it. But the sound is familiar to the loyal viewers and is normally followed by some sort of timelapse to set the tone for the vlog. I’m aiming really for the intro to settle people in as its what they’re used to. A bit of familiarity i suppose!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TheAustrianGuys

TheAustrianGuys

TeaRoller
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
100%!!!! No dubstep or or rancid 3D font.
Mine has a 3 second clip of one of my own songs (i use my own beats in my vlogs) and plain white background the channel name flashes up to the beat twice and its gone before you’ve even read it. But the sound is familiar to the loyal viewers and is normally followed by some sort of timelapse to set the tone for the vlog. I’m aiming really for the intro to settle people in as its what they’re used to. A bit of familiarity i suppose!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah that's the way to go! Use your own content. Be creative on your own and try to create a feeling of familiarity when people see and hear your intro!
Unless you're not able to do that I suggest you shouldn't do it. I myself don't have an intro yet because I don't have something like that right now. There's other stuff you can do in the meantime to make your videos interesting from the very beginning, for example a tiny/funny recap of the last video/episode.

Reactions: Liam O’Doyle

Nazir

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
There are many ways to make intro but this is what simple intro

Abram French

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think it really depends on what style of videos you are making. If you make your videos in a kind of series or episode format then I think it can really add to the videos, otherwise I don't think intros are necessary. I'm definitely not an expert, but thats just my opinion.

WonderWeirdo

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I think the ultimate way to use an intro is to begin every video in the same style, with the same joke or with something that is repeated every video, but done in a different way. But I don't think it's easy to manage to do such a thing.

gscratch

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I think it depends on the content. For 'regular' content videos - a series or installment, particularly when you create multiple 'streams' of content - having a unique title sequence is useful. Like radio, where DJ's have distinct bumpers and stingers to help delineate their show from others - having a title sequence early in the video helps visitors know what they're getting. Like McKinnon's 2 Minute Tuesday intro, or main 'McKinnon' intro.

My 'work' channel has content around SEO, Website management, Technology mentoring, and Creator support - and each has their own title segment.

Content 'hook' (10-15 seconds) -> 2-4 second title -> Content delivery.

While it may not make as much sense as a title overlay on a vlog - for any 'structured' content - I think it makes sense. Many of us don't have the recognition factor that a DeFranco or Neistat has, so we still need to brand. :)

Jim Baugh

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Very shore log line type of intro and personable, then canned intro (short) maybe 10 sec, then continue with story. JB

davidsfocus

Reaction score
Like a lot of people said, a lot of people like you to get to the point right away. I did just create a new intro and I try to say what the video is about first, then play a short intro and then go into the video.

Reactions: Jim Baugh