How do I Make Videos in College? What do you do?

Jacadamia

Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
So I just started off my whole youtube shabang, and although it's really early in the game, I know I want to continue it! The thing is though, I'm going to college for my first semester at the end of august, and I'm not sure how plausible that would be.

Sure I'd have to balance studies with youtube and friends and all that, but what I want to know is how am I supposed to record myself for my videos when my only "private" room is shared with another person, and when I'm in hall of other people where our walls aren't exactly thick.

I know my roommate, but I'm still a bit worried about this. I like to get really emphatic with parts of my videos and need to do multiple takes a lot. I feel like I'd either be constrained in how loud I can get, or annoy the other people and embarrass myself, haha.

So, if you're in college, what do you do? How do you do it?

Inspired

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I don't stay in a dorm but I would just get to know him a little better and then ask him if he minds. Show him one of your videos and show him what you do. It's not a weird thing anymore.

Reactions: Jacadamia

Jdlikefood

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I don't live in the dorms anymore either, but when I did, I still went home to film my videos. My school is only about 30 minutes away from home so it wasn't too bad. However, not everyone goes to school close to home. The best suggestion I have is to just go for it, if they hear you, they hear you. You should be able to easily find time when your roommate is out, and as for the people in other rooms, forget them. As long as you are filming and being noisy during reasonable hours, there shouldn't be any problem. You could even find a space outside, or my school has sound proof rooms in the library so you can be as loud as you want and not disturb anyone.

Jacadamia

Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I don't stay in a dorm but I would just get to know him a little better and then ask him if he minds. Show him one of your videos and show him what you do. It's not a weird thing anymore.
alright, yeah, I'll give that a shot! Thanks, I guess it really isn't all that weird : -][DOUBLEPOST=1470719062,1470718741][/DOUBLEPOST]
I don't live in the dorms anymore either, but when I did, I still went home to film my videos. My school is only about 30 minutes away from home so it wasn't too bad. However, not everyone goes to school close to home. The best suggestion I have is to just go for it, if they hear you, they hear you. You should be able to easily find time when your roommate is out, and as for the people in other rooms, forget them. As long as you are filming and being noisy during reasonable hours, there shouldn't be any problem. You could even find a space outside, or my school has sound proof rooms in the library so you can be as loud as you want and not disturb anyone.
Yeah I'm about 2 and a half hours away from home, so that could be an option for weekends at times, but most of the time I'd say it wouldn't be.

I guess it is just best to think "what's the worst that could happen?" and go for it. I'm a little nervous about that, but I'd say it's worth it, I don't want something as dumb as just feeling funny stopping me from doing what I want >:-] !

I think my campus does have soundproof rooms somewhere also, so I'll look into those! Thanks man!

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I've moved this to the Strategies & Technique Advice Forum. ^_^

I never made videos in my dorm at school, but I remember having an awful roommate who made a ton of noise (as in parties in the dorm room while I was trying to study.. >.> ). I was able to reserve conference rooms in other parts of the dorm building to get away to a quiet place. ^^ I never filmed in them, but I would recommend looking into rooms you can reserve -- either in the dorm building, or in another building on the campus. I'm sure there are some rooms that are really modern and look aesthetically pleasing because schools are always having meetings with important people who have money lol. ^^

Jacadamia

Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I've moved this to the Strategies & Technique Advice Forum. ^_^

I never made videos in my dorm at school, but I remember having an awful roommate who made a ton of noise (as in parties in the dorm room while I was trying to study.. >.> ). I was able to reserve conference rooms in other parts of the dorm building to get away to a quiet place. ^^ I never filmed in them, but I would recommend looking into rooms you can reserve -- either in the dorm building, or in another building on the campus. I'm sure there are some rooms that are really modern and look aesthetically pleasing because schools are always having meetings with important people who have money lol. ^^
Yeah that's fine!

Jeez that must have been pretty annoying >3< If I can't work something out I'll definitely look into something like that, and maybe I'll just do that anyway because I feel like the sound would be better? I dunno, haha, I only really need it for recording my scripts and then I'm all good : ->

Reactions: KatyAdelson