doing it for the $$$

helloimtim

Reaction score
Why are so many people only making videos to become rich or popular on YouTube.
What happened to just making your videos because you love filming the stuff you do?
I see so many threads where people are asking each other how much money they make or if they are "making full time money".. I'm shook!

Like.. Just make your videos and don't worry about making a paycheck off it and you'll probably find yourself making higher quality / more relaxed content that people will like more..

What are your thoughts on people creating channels specifically with money in mind?

DigiBox

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Nothing wrong with it.

We all have bills to pay and mouths to feed if you think that youtube content is the best way to make money that's their choice, if they aren't affecting me or trying to hurt my content it's fine.

ilikepstrophies

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You're only looking at the "Youtubers" then. There are just as many, if not more, very talented people making videos to show something nobody else has thought of or a special talent without ever monetizing.

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I´m doing what I love, while making some money, I know that I won´t get rich by doing youtube, but if it gives me little money, then I am happy!
Youtube has done more to me than expected, I have traveled to a lot of different places, a lot of then were places I have never been before!

Reactions: helloimtim

MutantCreeper36

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Long story short if you make a channel just for the money then you aren't doing youtube for the right reason. If it is for advertising sure thing, if you want to make content like pewdiepie you will never get any views. People go to youtube with one thing in mind; to get out of their own life. This fact is what makes video games so great, they make you forget about the bad things going on in your life. For those people who want to do it to sustain themselves go for it, just don't get greedy. But if you go onto youtube saying "I'm gonna become rich and famous." Well you're wrong. Earlier today I saw a video about how people change when they get the silver play button. Their content is basically made by lots of other people. At that point you have enough money in views to hire someone to do the work for you. Some channels do great with this such as Mythbusters or Smosh, but going onto youtube is something that requires you to do the work yourself. Basically what I'm saying is youtube is for the hardworkers, not the lazy; its for the determined, not the weak; its for somebody who is willing to put everything they have on the line to have fun and make a bit of cash. People like DanTDM, Pewdiepie, Markiplier, and so many more all rely on youtube. When they first started they weren't thinking. I'm gonna be RICH; because youtube wasn't going to get them rich at the time. It's people who have the mentality where money is everything will fail. Sure money helps make videos and pay rent and such. But if you ever think that you will be a successful channel and you're in it just for the money then have fun failing.

u2bGamer

Reaction score
I see so many threads where people are asking each other how much money they make or if they are "making full time money".. I'm shook!?
Hint: If you see them asking a lot, make a youtube video about making good $$ on youtube. I saw a girl did this and most of the comments were like "You sub me, I sub back" to each others. I even checked some out and some don't even have any uploads.

Weallstink965

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Making money is sort of a good way to monitor your progress.
If you're earning more one month than the others, then perhaps you did something right that you should try again one day.

I invest my money earned back into videos, whether props, equipment or what not, so more money means more/better videos I can create etc etc.
I do do youtube for fun tho, money just helps improve on what I can do.

Those that start YouTube just for money tho do tend to give up early on as they are not passionate about it and making videos can be demanding sometimes.

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Just make your videos and don't worry about making a paycheck off it
So when we all have to pay rent, electricity, food shopping, petrol, gas bills, car registration, maintenance, medical costs, insurances, looking after aged parents in a nursing home, kids uniforms, school supplies, shoes, socks, all that stuff, can we call you for some $$$?
Not even mentioning that running a channel costs several thousand $/month, and don't forget opportunity costs, as in quitting a $100k/year job to do Yt full-time, which is pretty much what is required to make a living doing it, at least in the kids area.

Last edited:

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I'm not sure that the reason of "because I love making videos" is a strong enough reason to stay motivated for as long as it takes to be successful on Youtube.

There is nothing wrong with the money being at least part of the reason. After all, that's why YouTube is doing it, don't kid yourselves into thinking otherwise. For many people, money (and what money provides) is a huge motivator.

Let's put it another way. If someone is making decent money from a channel (channel A) and someone else isn't making any money but claims to love making videos (channel B). Which channel is the most likely to still be making videos 5 years from now? :)

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It is an unfortunate truth. People slap content on-line daily in the hope of getting a few YouTube bucks. It is the main reason why you see so many low energy videos drowning out the ones that actually have production value.

I myself do it straight as a hobby and treat it as such. It costs me more than in brings in so it makes no sense to push out weekly content. I enjoy it sparingly now.