doing it for the $$$

KidsCorner

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Why are so many people only making videos to become rich or popular on YouTube.
What happened to just making your videos because you love filming the stuff you do?
I see so many threads where people are asking each other how much money they make or if they are "making full time money".. I'm shook!

Like.. Just make your videos and don't worry about making a paycheck off it and you'll probably find yourself making higher quality / more relaxed content that people will like more..

What are your thoughts on people creating channels specifically with money in mind?
What's wrong with doing it for the money? If you enjoy cooking and you decide to open a restaurant, you wouldn't cook for free either right?

Boris Qs

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm not sure that the reason of "because I love making videos" is a strong enough reason to stay motivated for as long as it takes to be successful on Youtube.

There is nothing wrong with the money being at least part of the reason. After all, that's why YouTube is doing it, don't kid yourselves into thinking otherwise. For many people, money (and what money provides) is a huge motivator.

Let's put it another way. If someone is making decent money from a channel (channel A) and someone else isn't making any money but claims to love making videos (channel B). Which channel is the most likely to still be making videos 5 years from now? :)
That answers it all...Great respons

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I started for the fun of it. I'm still doing it because it makes money. If I didn't make any money off it, I'd have lost interest long ago. It motivates me to keep working at it and putting out a video every day. My quality doesn't suffer because of it. It actually influences my thinking toward making things that my viewers will like more so that I'll keep getting as many views, and therefore money, as I can. But I never sacrifice quality for something that I think might make more money, because quality comes first.

As far as comparing how much money I make, I just like to brag.

Reactions: KiddieToysReview

babyteeth4

Taking over the world... ...one kid at a time!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
A passion for the work itself will result in better content than just a passion for money, but let's face it, YouTube was never a destination for artistic excellence even before universal monetization was a thing.

Reactions: KidsCorner

HearingMind

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
if you can make money while making videos you like, i don't see where is the problem tbh

satiricals

I've Got It
Reaction score
Long story short...HUGE BLOCK OF TEXT INTENSIFIES
We live in a morale relativism world. It isn't wrong to want in when the money is established on the platform. Channels like "First We Feast", where a whole production team is working on it, wouldn't exist if the money being earned on Youtube wasn't established. At least people on this platform can keep their artistic integrity.

u2bGamer

Reaction score
Here is my 2 cents: There are two kinds of people doing youtube because of money.

The first is the one who is currently doing youtube because of the money. They are already making money. They have content that viewers like to watch.

Then there are the others who often haven't even started and going around asking if they can make money off youtube. They are the dreamers thinking they can upload any videos and become rich and famous.

How to tell the difference? The former probably started as a hobby or some other reasons. For me, I even applied to ads sense believing I wouldn't make even a penny. But since YT said I can sign up for free, why not? Then unexpectedly, I received a letter from YT enclosed with a pin number.

Long story, I would have stopped after 3 videos. But the money gave me an incentive to keep going. I saw that my talents could make me money in this new world, so I am walking down that path. Ahh... it used to be okay to use ones talent to make money.

Reactions: KiddieToysReview

VRONA

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Why are so many people only making videos to become rich or popular on YouTube.
Because people like money and fame. And there is nothing really that bad about it. Everyone likes money and fame, no matter how much you try to deny it. However sometimes people are so obsessed with it they forget to actually make quality content. However they don't really grow much in that case then, but if they make good, quality and entertaining videos for money and fame, there isn't really much wrong with that.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I just want to make enough money to pay for my camera equipment and maybe some trips. But I'm so far away from that I only have 22 subs and 2600 views. I feel if you are doing youtube to make it big, you most likely will be in for a big disappointment and quit youtube or video making all together.

Last edited: