Merlina Rodas

I've Got It
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm pretty new to the YouTube community.. I have posted about 5 videos so far and I thought it was about time I made a channel trailer for new viewers. Most I've seen are about a minute long but mine is almost 3, I'm thinking about making a new one, something shorter and more condensed but I'm still unsure of whether I should keep this one or make a new one

What are your thoughts on channel trailers? Does video time really matter? what should be included?

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I think a good trailer tells a new visitor what your channel is about as quickly and concisely as possible. Mine is 43 seconds long and I would make it shorter if I could - but there is so much awesome in mine I couldn't squeeze it any shorter. :)

PictureFIT

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
IMO, it's not necessary. Sometimes trailers rub me the wrong way. Just feels like an ad and 999 times out of a 1000, I wouldn't even bother watching it. I know that some people will, but to me, it just seems unnecessary. I rather put a good general audience vid there that might pique their interest while at the same time get an idea of what my channel is all about.

Reactions: Merlina Rodas

Tom theWildlife

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I would tend to agree that it is a little too long, Still good but I think if you made it shorter and more to the point it would be more powerful. :)

10ACITY

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I like trailers because unlike all the other videos, they are there as a summary of what the channel does. A description is cool, but A: not everyone will read it and B: it gives a better feel for somebody's channel.

There's a channel on this site called Fresh Brownies, I think. They make good trailers that really, explain what you're getting into by pressing subscribe.

My trailer on the other hand is basically just a definition of tenacity and then a montage of my dancing. I'm not very proud of it and would like to make a more professional looking one.

Bottom line, give it the same tone as your other videos, but a summary-like structure.

Merlina Rodas

I've Got It
Reaction score
I like trailers because unlike all the other videos, they are there as a summary of what the channel does. A description is cool, but A: not everyone will read it and B: it gives a better feel for somebody's channel.

There's a channel on this site called Fresh Brownies, I think. They make good trailers that really, explain what you're getting into by pressing subscribe.

My trailer on the other hand is basically just a definition of tenacity and then a montage of my dancing. I'm not very proud of it and would like to make a more professional looking one.

Bottom line, give it the same tone as your other videos, but a summary-like structure.
That's pretty much what I've tried to do but I wanted to say a few different things that extended my video to about 3 minutes long... all others I've seen are from 30 seconds to a minute

Anyway I was able to chop it up and bit and leave only REALLY important info but it's still 1.5 min long! Everyone's telling me to make it shorter but I just don't know how, all the info I want in there takes over a min to talk about[DOUBLEPOST=1491772160,1491771970][/DOUBLEPOST]Thanks to everyone for the replies
I ended up cutting my channel trailer a little bit and shrinking it down to a minute and a half... I guess for a trailer still a little long but I'm pretty happy with it and it contains all the information that I wanted to contain. You guys think it HAS to be under a minute or is a minute and a half ok?

I'm just really not sure how else to condense it and what else to cut out

I'm thinking, in the future when I have more videos up, I'll do a montage of some of my vids with a voiceover.. but right now I don't have too many uploads so I have to just explain verbally what my channel is about.

10ACITY

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
That's pretty much what I've tried to do but I wanted to say a few different things that extended my video to about 3 minutes long... all others I've seen are from 30 seconds to a minute

Anyway I was able to chop it up and bit and leave only REALLY important info but it's still 1.5 min long! Everyone's telling me to make it shorter but I just don't know how, all the info I want in there takes over a min to talk about[DOUBLEPOST=1491772160,1491771970][/DOUBLEPOST]Thanks to everyone for the replies
I ended up cutting my channel trailer a little bit and shrinking it down to a minute and a half... I guess for a trailer still a little long but I'm pretty happy with it and it contains all the information that I wanted to contain. You guys think it HAS to be under a minute or is a minute and a half ok?

I'm just really not sure how else to condense it and what else to cut out

I'm thinking, in the future when I have more videos up, I'll do a montage of some of my vids with a voiceover.. but right now I don't have too many uploads so I have to just explain verbally what my channel is about.
Yeah, one and a half minutes seems okay. :p

As long as it is interesting and can hold the audience's attention.