YouTube in smaller countries?

cadetKei

Hakuna your tatas.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Ranter
Ok, so this is a subject I've been thinking about for a while. I am from a fairly small country Latvia, and here I haven't heard of a lot of people that do YouTube. And if they do, they mostly stick to making videos in our own language. Mostly, its something people ridicule for being a weird hobby, saying you cant possibly get that far with making videos online and its discouraging sometimes.
I've just been thinking about people from small countries or countries where YouTube isnt such a big deal, and how many are fairly well known and have good content. Do you maybe know any? And if you fall into this category of people that make videos outside of your language and culture, what do you find challenging? I know I struggle sometimes with my accent and pronouncing words correctly. And I cant find people that I could share my interest for YouTube with or help me make videos, and only mostly talk about it with people online and on this forum. And the thing I would love to make most, animation, isnt really considered a cereer worth pursuing and I havent seen anyone else really doing animation around here.
I just want to know if I'm just being irrational to think that I couldn't get far just because I am from a small country.

mrarauzz

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Don't let your dreams become memes. You can do anything :)

lucagrabacr

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
You are indeed being irrational to think that way. Just ignore the incorrect and discouraging popular belief there and chase your dreams, do have secondary plans that are more conventional though in case things don't go as planned.

Reactions: Redford1900

cadetKei

Hakuna your tatas.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Ranter
You are indeed being irrational to think that way. Just ignore the incorrect and discouraging popular belief there and chase your dreams, do have secondary plans that are more conventional though in case things don't go as planned.
Yea, I think its always good to have a backup plan if things dont go as smoothly. And thanks, I'll just try to keep my eyes on the goals I've set out :)

Reactions: lucagrabacr

TheBossman

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Ranter, Gamer, Reviewer
Why not try doing it in your native tongue? could be quite a niche audience but if it makes you feel comfortable. Or if you are just doing animation you could always do silent animation. Or instead of getting wary of you mispronouncing you could make it your thing, make it a joke, own your style it is you and you should never be ashamed of being you. I mean I am from England and I could put money on 80 percent of the English speaking world could fully understand me which makes me have to really work on my accent. Different genre though.

@Lightsen does animation on here and he has done extremely well with his channel (it is really good)

Reactions: Lightsen

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I always advise creators to play to their strengths. You could make living in Latvia into a big positive. YouTube is international and I'm sure lots of people from all over the world would be very interested in finding out about Latvia and what it's like living there. What might seem mundane to you (because you see it every day) would be interesting to others who aren't familiar with where you live.

The fact that there aren't many other creators there is even better. - Less competition. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1458497758,1458497674][/DOUBLEPOST]
@Lightsen does animation on here and he has done extremely well with his channel (it is really good)
she - @Lightsen is a girl. ^^

TheBossman

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Ranter, Gamer, Reviewer
I always advise creators to play to their strengths. You could make living in Latvia into a big positive. YouTube is international and I'm sure lots of people from all over the world would be very interested in finding out about Latvia and what it's like living there. What might seem mundane to you (because you see it every day) would be interesting to others who aren't familiar with where you live.

The fact that there aren't many other creators there is even better. - Less competition. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1458497758,1458497674][/DOUBLEPOST]

oops, I didn't know that. Sorry lightsen. No offense intended at all. I actually watch her channel too just didn't watch the subscriber special one, feel like a reyt tool now.

Reactions: Lightsen

Navinax

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I will kind of repeat what some already said, but you should follow your dreams. You can build it yourself with your own style. And might I loved your "The Face" animation. Very original and interesting. So just keep doing what you love and eventually you will succeed!

cadetKei

Hakuna your tatas.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Ranter
Why not try doing it in your native tongue? could be quite a niche audience but if it makes you feel comfortable. Or if you are just doing animation you could always do silent animation. Or instead of getting wary of you mispronouncing you could make it your thing, make it a joke, own your style it is you and you should never be ashamed of being you. I mean I am from England and I could put money on 80 percent of the English speaking world could fully understand me which makes me have to really work on my accent. Different genre though.

Well, the whole reason I do videos in English is because it brings a wider audience in. I love hearing from people all around the world. But I could work with my accent, sometimes accents can give you that interesting edge :D Maybe I'll get better with time. And yes, Lightsen is awesome, hope to see myself on that level as well someday :D

Hm, I have thought about maybe contributing some interesting things about living here, because it is in a lot of ways different than some other countries. And true, it is harder to become popular everywhere else, so it might just be something to help along the way. Thanks! ^^

I will kind of repeat what some already said, but you should follow your dreams. You can build it yourself with your own style. And might I loved your "The Face" animation. Very original and interesting. So just keep doing what you love and eventually you will succeed!
Thanks man! :D But yea, really nice to see people being so encouraging around here :)

Reactions: Crown