YouTube in smaller countries?

TheBossman

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Ranter, Gamer, Reviewer
Well, the whole reason I do videos in English is because it brings a wider audience in. I love hearing from people all around the world. But I could work with my accent, sometimes accents can give you that interesting edge :D Maybe I'll get better with time. And yes, Lightsen is awesome, hope to see myself on that level as well someday :D
Yeah I watched a couple of your videos. Your accent is very good, hardly noticeable. I wouldn't worry about that at all. And although your videos aren't my cup of tea, you can tell they are very well made and a lot of thought went in to them. You've got nothing to worry about at all. If the people you know find it to be a "weird hobby", then that is their loss.

Reactions: Navinax

NuSpirit

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I personally decided to go with both - english and local (slovak) channels just recently. Reason is pretty simple for me though - I play a lot in both languages with friends and get a lot of interesting videos from them. And best time to experiment in large is in my opinion while you are small :) (one local guy have over 1 mil subs from 15 mil market (including everyone in 2 countries) and he plays and talks only in slovak language). So surely if you do things for fun, people will eventually find their way to you even if they are in english or any local language :)

P.S: Also dont worry about english - when I started I was way more terrible at it than I am now (not saying I am anywhere near being good at it). If you have good foundation in language you will easily improve over time ;)
P.P.S: Even good animator can get enough reward if he is any good and do it with passion (some even making living out of it) - so its no so unrealistic :)

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Work it to your benefit!
I'm sure one of the big things people like about pewdiepie is his sweedish accent! I love accents, it makes you stand out!
ps: loved your face video XD

@Lightsen does animation on here and he has done extremely well with his channel (it is really good)
hey thank you so much xD
feel like a reyt tool now.
no worries, its not like i make it very clear :p also that last line sounded geordie to me, your not from up north are ya? xD

TheBossman

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Ranter, Gamer, Reviewer
Work it to your benefit!
I'm sure one of the big things people like about pewdiepie is his sweedish accent! I love accents, it makes you stand out!

hey thank you so much xD

no worries, its not like i make it very clear :p also that last line sounded geordie to me, your not from up north are ya? xD
I am from Barnsley, so you got the up north bit right. Live in Sheffield so losing most of my accent, it used to be really broad but I still can't type right instead of reyt because it doesn't sound reyt.

Reactions: Lightsen

Safety Turtle

Turtle Power!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer
Just keep fighting for it no matter what others say...I'm from a small country as well doing commentary in English which isn't my native language and a different accent may work to your advantage ^^

Keep doing what you're doing as long as you're having fun doing it!

LRwF

Super Poster
Reaction score
I live in Bahrain which is 85 times smaller than Latvia! I found a YouTube community (about 20 people) on Facebook but they are mostly very small gamers and really do not interact. In comparison - just an hours flight away in Dubai - there are loads of huge YouTubers (500,000+) but even though they talk to us they have no interest in collabing or giving advice. So it is pretty tough out here, but we are unique :p Its really hard to explain why we do it though

LuiC

I sing and vlog stuff
Reaction score
Ok, so this is a subject I've been thinking about for a while. I am from a fairly small country Latvia, and here I haven't heard of a lot of people that do YouTube. And if they do, they mostly stick to making videos in our own language. Mostly, its something people ridicule for being a weird hobby, saying you cant possibly get that far with making videos online and its discouraging sometimes.
I've just been thinking about people from small countries or countries where YouTube isnt such a big deal, and how many are fairly well known and have good content. Do you maybe know any? And if you fall into this category of people that make videos outside of your language and culture, what do you find challenging? I know I struggle sometimes with my accent and pronouncing words correctly. And I cant find people that I could share my interest for YouTube with or help me make videos, and only mostly talk about it with people online and on this forum. And the thing I would love to make most, animation, isnt really considered a cereer worth pursuing and I havent seen anyone else really doing animation around here.
I just want to know if I'm just being irrational to think that I couldn't get far just because I am from a small country.
Have you heard of a concentrated fanbase?
It's where you could have:

10,000 die hard fans

(Which is better than)

over 200,000 not-so-die-hard fanbase, with only 1,000 being die hard fans.

I've seen smaller YouTubers with a passionate fanbase, and they don't have much subscribers compared to bigger ones. And vice versa.

Your advantage is that you and your content could potentially TAKE OVER a whole country with your videos and since YouTube is uncommon from where you live (as you say), there is little to no competition.

No more fighting in a saturated area where it's hard to stand out.

What do you think?

Jawad Soomro

I'm a Human!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
Follow your dreams, English is not my first language, so we just try to make the best content as much as we can. Doing videos in your own language is also not a HARM.

Reactions: wasabiroots

cadetKei

Hakuna your tatas.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Ranter
Work it to your benefit!
Thank you! Being only 30 seconds longs it took way too long ;D

I live in Bahrain which is 85 times smaller than Latvia! I found a YouTube community (about 20 people) on Facebook but they are mostly very small gamers and really do not interact. In comparison - just an hours flight away in Dubai - there are loads of huge YouTubers (500,000+) but even though they talk to us they have no interest in collabing or giving advice. So it is pretty tough out here, but we are unique :p Its really hard to explain why we do it though
YES, I know of a small YouTube community of vloggers and beauty gurus who are deemed popular here, but they mostly just talk to each other. But at least we have this forum and other sites we can engage with people :D

Yeah I watched a couple of your videos. Your accent is very good, hardly noticeable. I wouldn't worry about that at all. And although your videos aren't my cup of tea, you can tell they are very well made and a lot of thought went in to them. You've got nothing to worry about at all. If the people you know find it to be a "weird hobby", then that is their loss.
Thank you! :) I really do work hard on my videos, but I still have a lot to learn :D

Have you heard of a concentrated fanbase?
It's where you could have:

10,000 die hard fans

(Which is better than)

over 200,000 not-so-die-hard fanbase, with only 1,000 being die hard fans.

I've seen smaller YouTubers with a passionate fanbase, and they don't have much subscribers compared to bigger ones. And vice versa.

Your advantage is that you and your content could potentially TAKE OVER a whole country with your videos and since YouTube is uncommon from where you live (as you say), there is little to no competition.

No more fighting in a saturated area where it's hard to stand out.

What do you think?
Yes, I believe that a lot, I wouldnt be happy with just a lot of people that dont really enjoy my stuff and rather fewer, that really do and engage with me in discussion. But I guess most people here wouldn't like my type of content, as far as I've noticed. I dont know, I guess we'll see in time :D

So lovely to see such a supportive community here! Thank you all for that little boost of confidence I needed so desperately right now :D