Why hasn't Youtube blocked Adblock?

Ghazi

Reaction score
I just got 800.000 views on a youtube video, but I have only earned 50 dollars, because over half of the viewers are using Adblock. So, my question is, why hasn't Youtube blocked Adblock??

Thanks in advance

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I didnt think/wasnt aware that Adblock worked on videos.. But, how do you know over half of those viewers are using it?

Dewmonic Abyss

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Adblock works in the sense that you might not see the display ads on the side, but it wouldn't interfere with in-video ads, I wouldn't think. $50 for one video seems about right, though. You have to keep in mind, all 800,000 of those people aren't all 800K who watched the video completely, would click on ads, and some of them could easily be the same person or someone testing out view bots. And then the thing to keep in mind is that YouTube's also for the viewers and not just the creators. It can't just all be about money, even if it seems like that sometimes. If Adblock was banned, you can bet a lot of people would probably boycott the site.

Reactions: Brandon

Ghazi

Reaction score
I didnt think/wasnt aware that Adblock worked on videos.. But, how do you know over half of those viewers are using it?
Because in Google Adsense it says, that my video has only 330.000 views. See it here: ibb.co/dfD0yv

OnlyGameplay

The Real OG
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
There's a lot of factors that go into determining how much revenue a YouTube video earns. CPM (the rate you're paid per 1,000 views) can vary from $0.50 to $10. Also, roughly 15% of viewers actually interact with ads. The rest have an ad blocker, skip the ads, or never click on the ads. So for an 800,000 view video, only 120,000 of those viewers watched or interacted with the ads.
You can read more here: https://devumi.com/2016/12/1-million-youtube-views-much-youtube-pays-milestone/

King Christo

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
There are so kany dufferent types of adblick you can use that would be virtually impossible. Also, like you have stated, tons use it so youtube would get a massive backlash most likely. Im sorry to hear that the $ you should have earned has beentaken by those who cant watch a 30 second ad. Although they are annoying, ads are needed and people do depend on them.

GeekyNet

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
There are so kany dufferent types of adblick you can use that would be virtually impossible. Also, like you have stated, tons use it so youtube would get a massive backlash most likely. Im sorry to hear that the $ you should have earned has beentaken by those who cant watch a 30 second ad. Although they are annoying, ads are needed and people do depend on them.
Actually, it's quite easy to detect AdBlock or similar browsers/addons/etc. I'm a freelance coder, and this is a frequent request from clients.
YTTalk for example notifies me every day that they've detected my uBlock chrome addon. I'm guessing the main reason that YouTube hasn't done anything about AdBlock/similar ones is because it's not illegal to use AdBlock... I'm guessing they could face some legal trouble if they denied access to YouTube based on the user's browser addons. I'm not sure though!

Reactions: Brandon

TigerXtrm

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Because the gains in revenue wouldn't be worth the public backlash. Too many people these days are entitled brats who think a site like YouTube should be a charity which is free for them to use. If YouTube would force everyone to watch ads the platform would run dry, it's that simple.