• Total voters

Vedstedsen

Globus Travellus
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I just started, but I would do it as soon as possible. The small extra income would be reinvested into the channel for higher quality content.

AngelineCommander

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I am going to wait until I get 1000 subs before I monetization my channel. I am no where near that yet so I have not monetized my channel only 946 subs to go before I'll monetized my channels and videos.

Highfalutin' Low Carb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I monetized immediately upon hitting the 10k threshold. Lots of people say they won't watch a video from a small channel that has ads. Why? Anyone that uses YouTube regularly is used to sitting through ads, anyway. Doesn't bother me a bit.

Also, while making money might not be a creator's motivation, it sure as hell is YouTube's motivation! They're a business. They NEED to run ads. All things being completely equal, if there were two channels of equal status (subs, views, retention rate, etc) in the same genre, and one was monetized and one was not, which do you think YouTube has the motivation to put in front of viewer's eyeballs? The one they CAN'T make money on, or the one they CAN?

Think about that.

Last edited:
Reactions: nad

Joe Pought

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I was monetizing everything up until a few days ago. The only reason I stopped was because I saw a video that said it monetizing too early could potentially harm instead of help my channel. I sit at 148 subs with 3k views & it's been just over 3 months so I'd like to think I'm growing well. I'll most likely start monetizing again after a substantial growth.

Xynudu

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Monetize as soon as you can.

It has no bearing on views etc.

If people want to avoid the ads they can easily click past or use an adblocker.

So it's no big deal.

If they like your videos they will let the ads roll a bit ;)

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I monetised my channel before I even uploaded my first video and would always recommend other to do the same.

Reactions: nad

Sibernethy

Questin' for a Jestin'
Reaction score
Website
www.sibernethy.com
Channel Type
Gamer
I'm thinking of removing the ad that normally plays before the start of each video and instead placing it somewhere around the middle or between 3-5 minutes in. The people who watch past the first few minutes are more likely to watch it through to the end.

The other reason to do this is so that if anyone happens to be binge-watching a playlist I made, especially if they're playing a game or something, they don't have to stop what they're doing immediately to skip the ad when a new video starts. Come to think of it, that might also be a good reason to cut out the ad at the end of each video because from my experience, it can stop a playlist from advancing to the next video.

What would you be willing to sit through? That's probably what you should consider when placing ads on your videos. I'm going to do the same with mine.

nad

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
My channel was monetized before I even had a single view. I don't see any harm in it. If there is ad before your video people won't be mad on you but on YouTube. I think many viewers don't even know that there is ad because of you and not because of the evil and greedy YouTube.

Loki Doki

Gaming Nerd and SEO Guru
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
monetize right away, you won't make much but its nice to see a few pennies. you don't lose subs or many if any viewers. people are used to having ads on youtube. and IF ads bother them then they already have adblock or youtube red