Trying to Talk is Harder Than Previously Thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankenPixelGaming

Professional Introvert
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
So after recording/editing just now, one thing became immediately clear to me: attempting to fill all the dead air is a much more intimidating thing than I thought. Trying to find the happy medium between silence and screaming crap into the audience's ear is difficult, and even after just a few episodes worth of recording, I've noticed certain filler words slipping in. "Alright" is the most prevalent of the bunch. I said it probably a hundred times in those recordings. Has anyone else noticed this? Or have any tips for improving one's commentary?

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I've moved this to the Strategy / Technique advice forum. ^^

Sin B

2017 blows
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
YouTube is showbiz at the end of the day, so speaking is something that you either have or you learn as you go. Practice makes perfect as they say, when I first started out I had the same issues, used alright way too much and awesome and cool probably stuffed it a thousand times into one episode that was way longer than necessary but now after 30+ videos it has improved a lot.

Keep on recording, and consciously fixing the speaking ticks, look up synonyms for your most commonly used words and start mixing it up in your speech. So instead of saying that was alright try that was adequate that was satisfactory that was reasonable that was damn good enough. Just to keep things different.

Study your favorite tubers how they talk, what speeds they keep words, if you're playing a game that's older watch a couple tubers that did the same game and the way they did it, take the best from others and mix it up with your own style and from there keep improving your dialogue.

Overall as much as you strive for improvement the chances of starting off as a Casey Neistat or a Pewdiepie are nigh impossible, it'll take you a lot of work, practice, effort and confidence in your work to get past the starting point.

MasterEth

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So after recording/editing just now, one thing became immediately clear to me: attempting to fill all the dead air is a much more intimidating thing than I thought. Trying to find the happy medium between silence and screaming crap into the audience's ear is difficult, and even after just a few episodes worth of recording, I've noticed certain filler words slipping in. "Alright" is the most prevalent of the bunch. I said it probably a hundred times in those recordings. Has anyone else noticed this? Or have any tips for improving one's commentary?
I've had this struggle since I've started recording different types of media. I first realized this when I was editing my old podcast. I said "Uh", "Um" and all that stuff.

But after my first podcast episode, I realized that I was doing it, and made a conscious decision to not say those things. Granted, I'm not perfect, but I've gotten better with filling dead air.

You're asking about how to make your commentary better, so are you talking about video game commentary, or talking about some other form of commentary? Please let me know and I'll try to give some helpful tips. :D

FrankenPixelGaming

Professional Introvert
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
You're asking about how to make your commentary better, so are you talking about video game commentary, or talking about some other form of commentary? Please let me know and I'll try to give some helpful tips. :D
I'm doing mostly video game commentary, yeah.

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
The few LP style videos I did had commentary in post-production, something that I'd suggest is to record game and commentary audios separately and synch them in post production, that way you can cut off the parts are supposed to be silence when there's a filler word slipping in.

MasterEth

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm doing mostly video game commentary, yeah.
Ok, that's what I thought. Actually, I've had experience with gaming videos (both recording and editing-wise) so hopefully I can help.

Tip 1: Make a conscious decision to speak better

Tip 2: Don't Get discouraged.

Especially when starting out, don't discourage yourself. Every YouTuber has started out not being the best they can be, they got better with time.

Tip 3: Practice

The more you do commentary, the better you'll get at it. This can also tie in with tip 1.

I know it isn't much, but I hope it helps you. :)

Reactions: FrankenPixelGaming

FrankenPixelGaming

Professional Introvert
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
The few LP style videos I did had commentary in post-production, something that I'd suggest is to record game and commentary audios separately and synch them in post production, that way you can cut off the parts are supposed to be silence when there's a filler word slipping in.
That is a good idea, but doesn't really fit with the style of video I'd like to do. Right now it's a blind playthrough thing so my initial reactions are part of it. Thanks for the tip, though! I'll keep it in mind for the future.

FrankenPixelGaming

Professional Introvert
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Ok, that's what I thought. Actually, I've had experience with gaming videos (both recording and editing-wise) so hopefully I can help.

Tip 1: Make a conscious decision to speak better

Tip 2: Don't Get discouraged.

Especially when starting out, don't discourage yourself. Every YouTuber has started out not being the best they can be, they got better with time.

Tip 3: Practice

The more you do commentary, the better you'll get at it. This can also tie in with tip 1.

I know it isn't much, but I hope it helps you. :)
I appreciate the help :)

Reactions: MasterEth

thepaulsociety

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Haha I love the title of this video because it is soooo true! It gets a lot easier with practice, instead of posting the first thing you record pick a couple games and do commentary on them and record yourself and once you are done just watch them over and see what you can improve on. : )

Status
Not open for further replies.