Tips on How to Show Your Personality on Video!?

Danny G

Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Hi everyone. I started a youtube channel recently and I am having trouble just being myself and showing my personality on camera. I thought that Youtube would come naturally to me because I would say I'm pretty charismatic in real life, but as soon as the camera turns on and I try to film myself I just feel incredibly awkward. I only have two video's on my channel at the moment that don't give much of an opportunity to show my personality, but I've been trying to film for new video's and when I watch them back it just seems too unnatural. I don't know whether it is a standard thing to cringe a bit when watching your own video's back, but i do.

If anyone could give me any tips on how to overcome this that would be amazing :)

Jawad Soomro

I'm a Human!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
Everyone gets this kinda awkward feeling in front of camera. In my case, I just talk to camera as if camera is my friend and camera has to listen to my crap lol. So make your camera your best friend. Everyone make acquaintances and eventually become friends once they are comfortable. So the same goes for camera.

Reactions: CelyD87

Yoursharkfriend

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer
I would say practice makes perfect. When I first put myself in front of the camera and watched it back I'm like... dang I'm so boring and emotionless haha I reflected on that and end up relaxing and just let myself go and the more videos I create the more easier it is to talk to a camera. I get that it's weird because essentially your talking to yourself

JackJack

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You'll get better and feel more natural with practice. It takes a while.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hi everyone. I started a youtube channel recently and I am having trouble just being myself and showing my personality on camera. I thought that Youtube would come naturally to me because I would say I'm pretty charismatic in real life, but as soon as the camera turns on and I try to film myself I just feel incredibly awkward. I only have two video's on my channel at the moment that don't give much of an opportunity to show my personality, but I've been trying to film for new video's and when I watch them back it just seems too unnatural. I don't know whether it is a standard thing to cringe a bit when watching your own video's back, but i do.

If anyone could give me any tips on how to overcome this that would be amazing :)
My brother and i had this problem starting out. We would awkwardly speak and stare at the camera at times. The awkwardness will go away the more you make videos. It will become second nature, especially if you upload regularly.

adams eats

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I can completely relate to this one mate, don't worry you're not alone. Just take a look at my first video, then my latest few and you'll see there's a big difference in how I behave. Naturally I'm a very confident person, and have no trouble talking to people. But that first time I filmed myself I almost shut down with fear. But I plucked up the courage and just did it anyway, and im glad I did! Being yourself will come naturally and with time and experience, I wouldn't stress about it. Just learn each time. I don't even think about it now, i just switch the camera on and i'm off!

Charles Wimer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Practice is key. My own videos don't reflect what happens on stage, but stage presence is just like camera presence. A couple things that have helped me out: Open your eyes. If you droop your eyes and try to remain too calm, you come off as tired and tired = boring. Smile when possible. It is hard to speak in a boring tone when smiling... possible, but hard. Exaggerate. Don't speak to the camera like it's right in front of you, even if it is. Speak as if it's 10 feet away and you want to get your point across. Not shouting, but projecting. It creates energy and causes your own blood to flow. Practice in front of a mirror. Get an idea of what you want to say, use a script if necessary, and practice. Last but not least. Do retakes and edit. A lot of your major Youtubers do not do it all in one cut. Don't expect perfection on your first take. Create it. Go back and watch your edits and replace what you don't like with something better. And if you have the courage and patience. Have someone else review it before posting and edit based on that feedback if it makes sense. Hope this helps.

Danny G

Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Practice is key. My own videos don't reflect what happens on stage, but stage presence is just like camera presence. A couple things that have helped me out: Open your eyes. If you droop your eyes and try to remain too calm, you come off as tired and tired = boring. Smile when possible. It is hard to speak in a boring tone when smiling... possible, but hard. Exaggerate. Don't speak to the camera like it's right in front of you, even if it is. Speak as if it's 10 feet away and you want to get your point across. Not shouting, but projecting. It creates energy and causes your own blood to flow. Practice in front of a mirror. Get an idea of what you want to say, use a script if necessary, and practice. Last but not least. Do retakes and edit. A lot of your major Youtubers do not do it all in one cut. Don't expect perfection on your first take. Create it. Go back and watch your edits and replace what you don't like with something better. And if you have the courage and patience. Have someone else review it before posting and edit based on that feedback if it makes sense. Hope this helps.

Really helpful thanks![DOUBLEPOST=1478294552,1478294501][/DOUBLEPOST]
I can completely relate to this one mate, don't worry you're not alone. Just take a look at my first video, then my latest few and you'll see there's a big difference in how I behave. Naturally I'm a very confident person, and have no trouble talking to people. But that first time I filmed myself I almost shut down with fear. But I plucked up the courage and just did it anyway, and im glad I did! Being yourself will come naturally and with time and experience, I wouldn't stress about it. Just learn each time. I don't even think about it now, i just switch the camera on and i'm off!
Haha yep that's what happened to me! And yeah I checked out your video's you are right!

georgia grace

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
you're definitely not alone! something that really helps me is before i start talking about what i actually want to talk about in the video, i tell a story about what happened during my day or just something to loosen up a little bit. i find that when i actually go to film the video afterwards, i'm already in the groove of things and it comes out more naturally. :)

GucciCarry

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I always think to myself what I want to talk about. I sometimes write a few key sentences down and go by that. I also cut out parts and go back over it if I think it sounded bad. It just takes a lot of practice I guess.