Opinions on Exagerated Personality

SnowAspire

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator
I've notice (as I'm sure you all have) that all big youtubers use an exagerated personality, whether it be minor or extreme. I see this from streamers like Ali-A, Markiplier, Pewdiepie, etc.

What do you think about using an exagerated personality as opposed to the person you really are?

I ask because I want to know if I should really consider being more exagerated in my own videos.

FrankCos

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
"Exaggerated" is the operative word. The best personalities simply exaggerate their authentic selves. With a screen between you and the viewer, you may want to talk a little louder, be a little more performative, just to get across how you really feel and think. This is how you cross that barrier and connect with your audience.

That said, always be true to you.

Xaegoba

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I've notice (as I'm sure you all have) that all big youtubers use an exagerated personality, whether it be minor or extreme. I see this from streamers like Ali-A, Markiplier, Pewdiepie, etc.

What do you think about using an exagerated personality as opposed to the person you really are?

I ask because I want to know if I should really consider being more exagerated in my own videos.
I think it's b******t unless your being yourself and your just an excited person but I'd rather be real with my subs man they deserve that much and if I don't grow as fast so be it. I want people to sub to me for me being 100% with them. Now and then I hold back because I don't want to get flagged and s**t but I'm still going to be authentic.

SmartTheDumb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
I'm working on that right now! I'm a very bad communicator, so there's a need to talk in a certain way to connect with an audience. Something that I can't even start to do at this point in time. Spent all my life trying to get people away from me. Now I talk in the least attractive way possible...
If you're talking about those wildly exaggerated cases like the Markiplier fake laugh, well it's just annoying enough for me to not watch them.
But, check out Vsauce Michael. He doesn't talk with such exaggerated pauses and facial expressions in everyday conversation. But on his videos, the message is delivered wonderfully.

Reactions: SnowAspire

HalieCakes

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
"Exaggerated" is the operative word. The best personalities simply exaggerate their authentic selves. With a screen between you and the viewer, you may want to talk a little louder, be a little more performative, just to get across how you really feel and think. This is how you cross that barrier and connect with your audience.
That said, always be true to you.
This is a great way to put it! Honestly, if I didn't act a little animated I would look so bored at what I'm doing. I also see Youtube as somewhat acting, I never talk loudly in person..I'm very quite and I also don't flail my hands around. But, it's entertaining to people..this doesn't mean I'm not being true to myself..I just see it as...acting in a sense.

MasterDF

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian

I think its okay... its not the best though. As long as youre being yourself and not becoming a different person. Im sure though since theyve been around a long time its kinda become who they are. So idk be yourself and dont let it become the best of ya.

Switchbox

Give me your food
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator, Other
I prefer Markiplier when he isn't exagerrating.

Curious World

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter
I worried about this in my narration, but I wasn't comfortable putting on an exagerrated or alter-persona, so I stuck with me. I've done OK.

Envision Adventure

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
If it's obvious that someone is exaggerating, then yea it's annoying. I prefer if someone talks how they normally would. Maybe adjust a little to improve your camera presence.