Is YouTube Just A Big Fame/ Number Game?

• yes

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • no

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • eh, a little

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

HelloKeyy

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I personally HATE the idea of having "small youtubers" and "big youtubers". I think once a youtuber gets to a certain number, they act all high and mighty and let the #'s get to their head and think because they have more #'s they think it's okay not to be friends w/ people who isn't on their "level". I would personally be friends w/ anyone I think is cool. Also, WHY IS IT SO FREAKING HARD TO FIND new/"small youtubers" ? I would love to not just watch "big youtubers" but I honestly can't find any new ones w/ content that I love.

Also, do you think it'll be good if the "big youtubers" would help out the smaller ones? I mean, they should know how hard it is to grow. I think they should genuinely help the ones they think deserve it as well as if they could see themselves being friends w/ that youtuber.

PS. if you're looking for a YT friend, I'm here. That is really the reason why I joined lol.

Reactions: CrazyPUA

Babison

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Its harder for Bigger YouTubers to connect with all the smaller YouTubers. They have a much more important, harder to maintain life, and they have business deals. Bigger channels also have clothing stores which they also have to take care of, and also a life to care. Smaller channels ALWAYS, I promise you, all smaller channels start bad, due to the lack of equipment. Also most ideas are taken, even if you do it people might be bored of watching it. Doesn't mean you should stop, it matter on how you make that content (make it funny). If you need to collab start a thread saying "In need of a collab, GAMERS" Instead of gamers put your genre of YouTube.

Reactions: darkstarmedia

BecomeAPrime

Professional Designer/Photographer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
In my years of YouTube I and several friends have grown over the years... I've worked with some 100k+ channels back before they even had 300.. some to this day are amazing people and still keep in contact with me even though I choose to go a different path when I started to grow and abandoned what could have likely become a very successful channel by today to start new channels with new ideas.

What you say is true.. some people change when they grow for the worse or for the better and I've experienced both... its kinda sad to see.

HelloKeyy

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
In my years of YouTube I and several friends have grown over the years... I've worked with some 100k+ channels back before they even had 300.. some to this day are amazing people and still keep in contact with me even though I choose to go a different path when I started to grow and abandoned what could have likely become a very successful channel by today to start new channels with new ideas.

What you say is true.. some people change when they grow for the worse or for the better and I've experienced both... its kinda sad to see.
it is sad. i told myself if i ever grow, i'd check out people's channel and promote them if i think they deserve more recognition as well as to be friends w/ anyone that i think is cool and like.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I don't think all larger YouTubers let the numbers go to their heads. Some of them do, but a lot of them still act like regular people. If they seem closed-off to smaller channels, I think it's more likely because they have a harder time finding genuine people to be friends with. Once a channel reaches a certain size, people start prying at them for free advertising.... Channels with large audiences never know if someone is saying something nice just to be nice, or if they are pretending to be nice just so they can get something advertised in return. I can imagine that being really frustrating.

A neat thing about this site is that a bunch of YouTubers are mixed together, regardless of channel size! I think it's really fun to hear the different points of view about YouTube from different channel sizes. ^^

And to be quite honest, with all of the multi-million subscriber channels popping up, I don't really know what defines a "big YouTuber" these days..... o_0

HelloKeyy

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I don't think all larger YouTubers let the numbers go to their heads. Some of them do, but a lot of them still act like regular people. If they seem closed-off to smaller channels, I think it's more likely because they have a harder time finding genuine people to be friends with. Once a channel reaches a certain size, people start prying at them for free advertising.... Channels with large audiences never know if someone is saying something nice just to be nice, or if they are pretending to be nice just so they can get something advertised in return. I can imagine that being really frustrating.

A neat thing about this site is that a bunch of YouTubers are mixed together, regardless of channel size! I think it's really fun to hear the different points of view about YouTube from different channel sizes. ^^

And to be quite honest, with all of the multi-million subscriber channels popping up, I don't really know what defines a "big YouTuber" these days..... o_0
yeah it isn't a whole lot, but it is some. i can understand the whole being genuine thing, i do. it is sketchy for someone with 1k to try to be friends w/ someone with 500k, but i think it would be best to start a frienship just by real comments and then checking out their channel and talk from there. not by "youtube friends?" type of comment.

Celsus

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It's really dependent on your perspective, this is a loaded question really ^.^

If you're content with just having fun with what you do then numbers shouldn't matter at all.

If you're looking to make a career out of youtube, then yeah numbers matter. You really have to consider it more of a acting
career, because you're essentially doing the same thing that you would find on a normal television channel. But youtube seems
to be far easier than getting your own air time or backers to support your Television pitch. You also have time to perfect your ideas
as well.

Ultimately youtube itself is a business archetype, so their objective is to make money. So naturally they would choose to support the people who
have the most backers like "Seananners" more than say "me" who virtually has no backers comparison. Do I believe bigger youtubers should
make smaller youtubers more noticed, If they want to but really that's asking a lot of someone since they spent time and money in their craft
to get to where they are. I think it's nice of those who do help other's out like how "Pewdiepie" pretty much made "Cinnamontoastken".

But don't be discouraged, My videos are pretty much in one of the most over crowded genre's and with my subscriber count I'm still able to make
it up on the front page of relevant search keywords. Titles, Tags, and description help you succeed, and a little help from tube buddy for those =P

projectorgaming

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
A lot of it depends on the content. I do game stuff, and I frequently watch other gamers channel's. Most of the huge names out there I can't stand to watch their videos. I usually go a few pages back before I even start clicking on anything. I think a lot of the people that get big, let it go to their head, and they just try to be more and more outrageous with every video. I mean a lot of them are huge so they are doing something right for the general viewer, but most of the folks who yell and scream at the games they play just annoy the crap out of me.

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I personally HATE the idea of having "small youtubers" and "big youtubers". I think once a youtuber gets to a certain number, they act all high and mighty and let the #'s get to their head and think because they have more #'s they think it's okay not to be friends w/ people who isn't on their "level". I would personally be friends w/ anyone I think is cool. Also, WHY IS IT SO FREAKING HARD TO FIND new/"small youtubers" ? I would love to not just watch "big youtubers" but I honestly can't find any new ones w/ content that I love.

Also, do you think it'll be good if the "big youtubers" would help out the smaller ones? I mean, they should know how hard it is to grow. I think they should genuinely help the ones they think deserve it as well as if they could see themselves being friends w/ that youtuber.

PS. if you're looking for a YT friend, I'm here. That is really the reason why I joined lol.

Nice to meet ya, and sure, we can always use new friends. I think most people here are small, or at least smaller than the 'big names' on Youtube. I usually just search for what I'm looking for, say.... 'Review on Street Fighter 5' and check the ones that look interesting, not necessarily the 'big names', just whoever catches my eye, and I end up subbing or at least watching out for more videos of them if I like them. I run into a lot of 'small' youtubers that way.

MightyBrows

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
In my day job I am working on a web project for two very large UK YouTubers (I won't name drop, cos its crass) and the people they are away from the lens is very different to the people you view online.

Whilst they are part of the reason I decided to create myself, I have not told them what I am up to.

This is because at their level it isn't a hobby anymore, it is a business and it doesn't feel right.

And I think this is where the disconnect you feel comes from. At a certain point the hobby becomes the job and at that point things get very real for those people. Helping out us small guys is something they don't necessarily have the time for any more.

This is why this forum is great, it is a real mix of creators who are willing to share ideas and experience... but they key thing is that I bet most of us are hobbyists!

Reactions: KatyAdelson