Is YouTube Just A Big Fame/ Number Game?

• yes

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • no

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • eh, a little

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
I think YouTube is definitely what you make of it. While it would be great to get the attention of anyone and everyone you look up to or like on their videos, everyone is in it for a different reason. If someone has pursued a channel for many, many years and put their heart and soul into it, and is regularly commented upon by literally thousands of people per video per day, it's impossible for them to take notice of everyone. They also could cause a lot of issues by highlighting any particular one or set of their fans, because then the other creators who are fans will feel left out.

It can be difficult to find smaller YouTube channels to connect to, but not really too hard, in my opinion. Just go to page 3 or 4 or search results and find new updates on the subjects you like from people with fewer views or subs and start interacting with those folks. If your heart is in it and you show you're not just trying to get them to subscribe to you, often, you can spark a really nice dialogue and have some fantastic interactions with people.

Big Youtubers just have so much more than us to deal with. We aren't being sponsored or have big brand deals or have our own books. They just become one with corporate America

I personally HATE the idea of having "small youtubers" and "big youtubers". I think once a youtuber gets to a certain number, they act all high and mighty and let the #'s get to their head and think because they have more #'s they think it's okay not to be friends w/ people who isn't on their "level". I would personally be friends w/ anyone I think is cool. Also, WHY IS IT SO FREAKING HARD TO FIND new/"small youtubers" ? I would love to not just watch "big youtubers" but I honestly can't find any new ones w/ content that I love.

Also, do you think it'll be good if the "big youtubers" would help out the smaller ones? I mean, they should know how hard it is to grow. I think they should genuinely help the ones they think deserve it as well as if they could see themselves being friends w/ that youtuber.

PS. if you're looking for a YT friend, I'm here. That is really the reason why I joined lol.

I hope if I ever get the numbers I'll still be the same as I am today.

And, yeah, why is it so hard to find small youtubers - I was trying to search for channels with small subscriberships and was stumped with youtube's search features. The best I could do was look for videos that were uploaded in the last hour and look at the ones that matched my interests with not views - cos bigger channels get lots of views straight away.

A feature to search based on how many subs the channels have would be great for me personally and a bit of a boon for lots of smaller channels.

I do think that big youtubers help out littler ones sometimes its just that there are a lot of small channels compared to how many big ones there are so not everybody gets that helping hand. Sadly.

If you saw the inbox of a "big" YouTuber and the sheer volume of messages they receive including some of the requests they get, then you'd understand why they are quite selective with who they interact with.

Someone who gets 500 subs per day, what's he supposed to do? Even if he only became personal "friends" with 1% of them, that's 5 new people PER DAY. So after only a month, he'd now have 150 new friends that he's supposed to chat and reply to all day? How would that work?

How could they help smaller youtubers?

if you mean shoutouts that can cause a lot of problems. once you shout out one, then EVERYONE wants one.
and as mentioned:

They also could cause a lot of issues by highlighting any particular one or set of their fans, because then the other creators who are fans will feel left out.

I'm not a big youtuber, but I would feel horrible if people only talked to me or commented to get something out of it, or they feel like they are ignored by me while i reply to others.

I've made friends with quite a few of my subscribers, you start to see the same faces over and over. For instance, I get this one guy that ALWAYS comments on my G+ posts. which is really great because compared to my channel, my G+ page is completely deserted. and he usually even comments within the hour of the post! therefore I find myself always responding to him, and I've come to really appreciate his support!

some I've made friends with because they also do animation.
Some I've helped learn some basics, and I like to see them progress.

I will help new channels with advice and animation tutorial help, even watching a couple of videos if they really want to have my reaction or feedback on their animations. BUT I wouldn't do shoutouts or collabs with just anyone. I have to really be close friends with people like that, and often you can tell when someone is just wanting a collab for their numbers gain.

I personally HATE the idea of having "small youtubers" and "big youtubers". I think once a youtuber gets to a certain number, they act all high and mighty and let the #'s get to their head and think because they have more #'s they think it's okay not to be friends w/ people who isn't on their "level". I would personally be friends w/ anyone I think is cool. Also, WHY IS IT SO FREAKING HARD TO FIND new/"small youtubers" ? I would love to not just watch "big youtubers" but I honestly can't find any new ones w/ content that I love.

Also, do you think it'll be good if the "big youtubers" would help out the smaller ones? I mean, they should know how hard it is to grow. I think they should genuinely help the ones they think deserve it as well as if they could see themselves being friends w/ that youtuber.

PS. if you're looking for a YT friend, I'm here. That is really the reason why I joined lol.

There are some that get a chip on their shoulder. I know one personally that has half a million subscribers, and he is down to earth. That is essentially how I am, and I wouldn't expect me changing a bit even if I'd ever make it into the big leagues. I have a dislike for people that throw numbers around (or throw the lack of numbers around, which happens WAY to frequently on these forums).

The reason why it is hard to find small YouTubers is that their videos are not pimped by YouTube. Small channels cost YouTube money vs Big channels which pay the bills. It is a downside into finding smaller channels. That is why these forums work. Most everyone on here is a smaller channel. I am probably bigger than most, even at the "paltry" 2.3K subscribers I am at now. Plenty of sub 1000 subscriber channels here! I was one of them a year and a half back!

Back