Is exposure my channel's weakness?

Christoverse

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hi guys,

My YouTube name is Christoverse and I've been doing commentary/story time videos for 4.5 months now. I've been very consistent, putting out fresh, new content all the time. I've received frequent positive feedback from Facebook, Reddit, Twitter, Yttalk, Damnlag, Instagram and in person with people saying "Your channel is amazing" and have friends/strangers promoting me. Also, I've continued to improve upon my channel continuously (changing thumbnail types, being more personal, narrowing channel focus etc) to give my followers more.

However, I find that my channel growth is not as steady as other channels I have seen (229 subs/10.5K views in 4.5 months). Could it be that the exposure is just not there yet? Or am I missing something else?

Jake Fuller

I Vlog, Therefore I Am
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
228 subs in 4.5 months is great, just keep interacting with social media and manage the SEO for your channel/videos and the growth will follow.

Reactions: Christoverse

Anjim

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You are doing great man! I can't positive feedback on twitter and facebook. I am stuck on 256 subs on my anime channel and I must be doing something wrong but Youtube is taking subs.

PositivelyBrainwashed

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I watched 2 videos, and personally I'm not into gaming so I'd be giving a biased opinion. But have you checked your average audience retention in your analytics? What percentage of your videos are being watched? If it is below 35% then you gotta work on keeping people's attention.

Christoverse

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
228 subs in 4.5 months is great, just keep interacting with social media and manage the SEO for your channel/videos and the growth will follow.
@Jake Fuller Thank you Jake. I will do that. I've heard that tumblr works well for promotion, have you ever used it? Also, in terms of SEO optimization, any tips?

@Anjim I appreciate it Anjim. I just checked out your channel. 256 is still awesome! For growth, I feel as though perhaps it's the timing of your uploads? You put 4 videos up at the same time, and before that, 5 days ago. Perhaps try uploading once a day so it doesn't overflow your subs with content? In terms of your work I think your passion and entertainment value are def there. Keep it up!

Jake Fuller

I Vlog, Therefore I Am
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have a blog on Tumblr that i share to, I can't say I put effort into it.

notjamie

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think your channel is going really well. You get a lot of likes on your videos compared to your views. It's like the snowball effect: once you get going you'll reach a certain point and your channel will take off.

One thing sort of bothered me, though. I watched your Mike Tyson Security Guard video and it was really busy. I was looking at your facecam but my eyes were being distracted by the gameplay. Then I tried watching just the gameplay but the white, bright facecam was making me want to look there, so it was hard to focus on one part of the video.

Christoverse

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I watched 2 videos, and personally I'm not into gaming so I'd be giving a biased opinion. But have you checked your average audience retention in your analytics? What percentage of your videos are being watched? If it is below 35% then you gotta work on keeping people's attention.
@PositivelyBrainwashed Hi PB, thank you for the feedback. I'm just curious, which two videos did you watch? My channel isn't focused on gaming, gaming is just a backdrop. In the videos I actually tell stories, or talk about stuff with friends (non gaming related). I've checked the percentage, it's pretty high in terms of engagement. I am just wondering what would help me reach new audiences.[DOUBLEPOST=1466615402,1466615186][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think your channel is going really well. You get a lot of likes on your videos compared to your views. It's like the snowball effect: once you get going you'll reach a certain point and your channel will take off.

One thing sort of bothered me, though. I watched your Mike Tyson Security Guard video and it was really busy. I was looking at your facecam but my eyes were being distracted by the gameplay. Then I tried watching just the gameplay but the white, bright facecam was making me want to look there, so it was hard to focus on one part of the video.
@notjamie That is very true Jamie.

Feedback like this is great to know thank you for that. Would you suggest I take out the cam? Or just make it a tad darker?

PositivelyBrainwashed

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
@PositivelyBrainwashed Hi PB, thank you for the feedback. I'm just curious, which two videos did you watch? My channel isn't focused on gaming, gaming is just a backdrop. In the videos I actually tell stories, or talk about stuff with friends (non gaming related). I've checked the percentage, it's pretty high in terms of engagement. I am just wondering what would help me reach new audiences.
I watched your 2 latest videos. Well for someone like me whose not big on the background being gaming, I'm forced to just look at that small video of you, or do some other work while listening to you speak. If you're saying your engagement is high, then I would have to agree you simply need more exposure and learn how to close better. By close, meaning learning how to get people to subscribe. I spend a lot of time daily researching persuasion strategies. I'd share mine, but until I can prove I can get over 1000 subscribers using my method, I don't feel comfortable doing so.

notjamie

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
@notjamie That is very true Jamie.

Feedback like this is great to know thank you for that. Would you suggest I take out the cam? Or just make it a tad darker?[/QUOTE]
Yeah I would say either take out the gaming and have just facecam or have just gaming. I think just facecam would be better because as you said before, your channel isn't focused on gaming and there are thousands of story-telling gamers.