Intro or no intro?

BlandMark

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
My opinion may go against the grain here but I find introductions to videos put me off. I feel it makes people look self-important and celebrity like when really they're just on YouTube (I love YouTube- it's great, but people get bigheaded fast)! I think viewers like me just want to see the content, not some bore droning on about insignificant guff "Hey guys, this is____ and why not take a look in the ____. And Can I tell you a little bit about my dying cat?" No. Just get the video, thanks.
But this is just me and the people who do these annoying intros have A LOT more subscriptions than I'll ever get so what do I know. Peace.

RetroCrunch

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
A while back I started to add a short (2-3 second) intro to my videos, but someone pointed out to me that I shouldn't do that. Now I have started to doubt myself, what do you guys think? (the video in my signature does not have that intro).
Your best gauge of how your intros are affecting your retention is by looking at your analytics. On your analytics for the video in question, go to the secnd where your intro starts and stops and see what affect it is having on your retention. Are you losing half your audience? Is the retention going up? What is happening with the people watching your video - this should really help you decide if its a good place/length/need. If its NOT doing well, try moving it around.. Beginning, after the HOOK, after the Intro.. or NOT AT ALL. Analytics are your KEY to knowing what your audience want to see. Use it.[DOUBLEPOST=1542658521,1542658455][/DOUBLEPOST]
Some viewers want you to get to the point with your video and maybe you should add a a small part of the video to the beginning, something interesting.
You can do that, test it for a week or 2 by watching the analytics and see how people react to those changes and act accordingly.

StefanB89

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I like a well thought out intro to be honest.. don’t like the standard Minecraft intros popping up the minute you start a vid and after jumps straight to to footage..

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

edcwolfpack88

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
i think it's a cool thing to have. But I don't see a ton having one. Especially the larger youtubers. But some do like sean cannel or talon sei.

DapperDanVlogs

Reaction score
idk man, i notice when i use one I lose people toward the beginning of my videos, and ive heard people say that. but then i think about all the people who became
successful while using them so idk. petermckinon uses one and i kinda like seeing it. casey niestat was using one for 368 and i found myself humming the intro song. so idk

CTAC

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It depends on what purpose this 2-3 second video carries. If it works on brand recognition and carries useful information, as well as done qualitatively, brightly and solidly - then I personally welcome such inserts.

anglingdharma

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
intro is very necessary because it will be able to attract our viewers to watch our videos, because a viewer will watch our videos determined by the first 1 minute in our video if the first minute is very good they will continue to watch it, also they will become our subscribers so I think the intro is very important

Lopideon

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I would say no, because when I click on a dog thumbnail, I want immediate dog. Cute intro music over the first few seconds works, though.

Arthurise

Reaction score
A while back I started to add a short (2-3 second) intro to my videos, but someone pointed out to me that I shouldn't do that. Now I have started to doubt myself, what do you guys think? (the video in my signature does not have that intro).
Let me start by saying (and i know this is easier said than done) NEVER DOUBT YOURSELF, someone gave you their opinion. Take it as constructive feedback. Find out why they don't like it and figure out a way to improve.
One persons feedback doesn't speak for the crowd though. If you really want feedback on it as a whole, ask your audience. Ask them if they like it or not. If you have a good following they will give you an honest opinion.
Never take it as if your doing bad on your channel. Your trying new things. Making it more interesting for your viewers and that's never a bad thing.