How Long Does The Average Youtuber Take To Create Video?

On Average How long do you take to create a youtube video (Start to Finish)

• Total voters

abhinavguptaonline

AGOShareZone
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'd like to find out from as many youtubers as possible how long their creation time is in general. If you're creation/editing time is lower than the average, then WHAT ARE YOUR SECRETS TO SPEED!??!?!?!

Please lets work together to find faster methods to streamline the process.

Currently working on my next video and already I know for this 5-8 min video its going to take me at least 10 hours :(

I've added a poll, so pls answer and if you're below the overall average of responses, let us all know what your video creation steps are (and what tools/software you're using) that help you to speed through the process.

MY CURRENT STEPS:
(1 Hour+)
1. Pre-plan the video (Scripts, idea, planning out the venue (If required), shot ideas, etc.)
(1 Hour+) 2. Create the video (Errors and all, just the raw video creation using a Logitech HD Webcam and my Samsung Galaxy S3 Phone) and Audio (I record the audio separately for higher quality using the iRig mic and iPad)
(1 Hour+) 3. Download the raw data onto my system (This can take up to an hour depending on how many video and audio files I've made)
(1 Hour+) 4. Editing the Audio in Audacity to amplify it and remove background noise
(1 Hour+) 5. Matching the video and audio inside windows movie maker
(6 Hour+) 6. Putting it together in windows movie maker (2nd run after the matching of the good audio and video)
(1 Hour+) 7. Final output (I make 3 videos, 1 main video for Youtube, 1 Mini-Video for facebook and 1 Mini-Video (20 sec) for Twitter)
(1 Hour+) 8. Upload to Youtube

So a typical video for me usually takes a minimum of 10-14+ Hours on average (Usually over 2-3 days)

I'd love to know if others have some other methods they are using.

JackAttackGame

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Obviously the type of videos you and me make are completely different but it takes me about an hour-hour and a half. Recording and editing don't take up a lot of my time, it's more about creating the thumbnail and working on the SEO for my videos.

Topknot

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It takes me a bit of time, around 5 hours It used to take 8-10 But I figured out which workflow works best for me. And, so far its been getting better and better. I usually take 1-2 hours recording Then the other hours doing all the post production, then uploading.

Even though we have very different videos, your biggest flaw from what I see is your post production software. Windows movie maker is too basic for youtube videos in my opinion, an upgrade could easily save you an 2 hours or more, taking into consideration you syncing up the audio.

Also, maybe cutting down your pre plan from 1 hour to 25 minutes minimum would save a lot of time. Again, in step 7 you could depend on a different software, and it would cut down an hour job to mere minutes.

Well, that's my advice just from a first read at your workflow, hope you improve it! Goodluck!

Harpuia

That "creepy" guy that makes Youtube videos.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It takes me about:

30 minutes-1 hour to write the script for my video.
5-10 minutes to do the video portions of my videos.
5-10 minutes to do the audio portions of my videos.
30-45 minutes to research images to use for my video.
60-90 minutes to put everything together
5-10 minutes for the final cut.
10-30 minutes to upload the video to Youtube.

Overall that's typically about 2 1/2 to 4 hours, depending on the length of the video. Most I've ever had was 4 1/2 hours on a long 10 minute top 10 vid.

Reactions: Sk Jony

abhinavguptaonline

AGOShareZone
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Awesome feedback so far! I'm really gonna look at some new software. I have vegas but i find it takes so long to render the videos. What software tools are you guys using?

Thanks! Lets keep it going, pls take the poll

Abhinav[DOUBLEPOST=1451309272,1451280427][/DOUBLEPOST]Adobe is running a sale right now (Good until Jan. 4th, 2016 => http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere-elements.html) so I got Adobe Photoshop Elements 14 and Premiere Elements 14 on sale for just $99 USD which is pretty good coming straight from Adobe. Should be better than Windows Movie Maker right? (I have seen a lot of top youtubers using Premiere).

Abhinav

Ninja

Professional Funny Guy
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer, Commentator
All in all:

15 minutes: Setup
30 min - 2 hours (depending): Recording
1-2 hours: Editing
15 minutes: Thumbnail and export
Upload time depends on video length so it could be anywhere from 1-3 hours (bad internet)

For editing I use Vegas Pro 13 with a few extra plugins.

slayerkm

Daily Vlogger
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Filming i do all day (as i film my life) and i usually record my last clip around 10/11pm

Editing i've managed to get down to a tee now using Adobe Premier. I can edit my days recording in around an hour. Including time lapses and music and outro etc.

Exporting the video doesn't take too long as my PC handles that quiet well so exporting usually takes around 20 mins

Upload time is quick my vlogs average around 8/15 mins and they upload in minutes.

jschlatt

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Here's my process:

Usually I'll be doing something not related to Youtube when an idea for a video will come to me. I'll see a really bad commercial / movie trailer / etc. and although I don't know exactly what path I want the video to go down from the start, I'll begin editing it.
With making "montage parodies," 95% of it is editing. It can take upwards of 10 hours on a long project (~3 minute video, heavy editing), but shorter ones could take 1-2 hours. (!1 minute long video, moderate editing). Usually I will fill the whole video or duration of the clip I'm parodying with jokes / memes, then cut out the parts that aren't funny at all and improve the parts that are only kinda funny.
It's a long process and it's a lot different than other genres of entertainment. When starting to edit a montage parody, you generally have less of an idea of what you want the end product to be, as compared to a funny gaming moments or vlog video.

NerdsWithSwag

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It all depends on the video and how long it will be.