How did you make friends/collab on YouTube?

Would you collab with someone much smaller than you if you liked their content?

• Yes

Votes: 14 93.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

tlegacytv

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have seen others that would be great to collab with but I don't want to look desperate. Also I don't have many subscribers so if I collab with someone with a couple 100 or 1000 it would not really benefit them. It seems kind of weird to ask someone too lol. Would you be weirded out if some random person on youtube messaged you about collaborating or just to chat? What are some personal criteria that others must meet before you collab? I just started and don't have many friends so I am curious how it works for some people.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
My advice would be for you to become active here on YTtalk, make friends and get to know people here and then use the collaborations forum to contact like-minded people.

Here are some tips for making friends on YTtalk -> http://yttalk.com/threads/how-to-make-friends-at-yttalk.129913/

That will have a much higher chance of success compared to sending messages to people directly on YouTube who probably don't know you (and could even flag your messages as spam)

(moved to the strategy forum)

PositivelyBrainwashed

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
When I get big enough, I wouldn't mind collabing with channels who are smaller, especially if my instincts tell me they'll get big and perhaps surpass me some day. In fact there's a few channels in my niche who were smaller who I agreed to collab with in the future that have surpassed me now. Personally I'm just waiting until me and who ever I collab with actually has a decent enough audience so it becomes worth it.

I've also heard of really big Youtubers who only collab with smaller Youtubers. This way no one will ever be able to accuse them of only getting big and successful cuz of some other channel.

But how do you find someone to collab with? Well first you gotta make good content, then interact in this forum and give good comments on other people's channels and social media. If you're on twitter, retweet people's contents. Anyone who keeps sharing my stuff, I promote them back. Join Live streams and webinars of big channels. But with that said, I would personally focus on learning how to grow on your own first, as that's a more important skill. Most people who win the lottery go broke within 5 years because they don't know how money works. It's the same with subscribers.

Last edited:

NuSpirit

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
If people seems to be normal (well not sure if you know what I mean) and they really seem to be funny, I dont care if they have 1, 10 or 1 million subs :)

And how do I meet them? Mostly either via forums like this one, or when some of my friends played with them/talk with them and introduced me ;) (honestly I really dont remember how I met more than half the people I call now friends - it just happened somehow gradually :D )

Reactions: tlegacytv

SimeonTG

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I have seen others that would be great to collab with but I don't want to look desperate. Also I don't have many subscribers so if I collab with someone with a couple 100 or 1000 it would not really benefit them. It seems kind of weird to ask someone too lol. Would you be weirded out if some random person on youtube messaged you about collaborating or just to chat? What are some personal criteria that others must meet before you collab? I just started and don't have many friends so I am curious how it works for some people.
Most Youtubers would collab with a smaller Youtuber if the smaller Youtube has great content and a great idea for a video.

tlegacytv

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If people seems to be normal (well not sure if you know what I mean) and they really seem to be funny, I dont care if they have 1, 10 or 1 million subs :)

And how do I meet them? Mostly either via forums like this one, or when some of my friends played with them/talk with them and introduced me ;) (honestly I really dont remember how I met more than half the people I call now friends - it just happened somehow gradually :D )
Thanks for the advice. I just started doing youtube almost a month ago and I just joined the forums recently so I just need to be a bit more patient. Also congrats on hitting your 1000 subs goal :) maybe I will get there some day as well.[DOUBLEPOST=1471637249,1471637005][/DOUBLEPOST]
When I get big enough, I wouldn't mind collabing with channels who are smaller, especially if my instincts tell me they'll get big and perhaps surpass me some day. In fact there's a few channels in my niche who were smaller who I agreed to collab with in the future that have surpassed me now. Personally I'm just waiting until me and who ever I collab with actually has a decent enough audience so it becomes worth it.

I've also heard of really big Youtubers who only collab with smaller Youtubers. This way no one will ever be able to accuse them of only getting big and successful cuz of some other channel.

But how do you find someone to collab with? Well first you gotta make good content, then interact in this forum and give good comments on other people's channels and social media. If you're on twitter, retweet people's contents. Anyone who keeps sharing my stuff, I promote them back. Join Live streams and webinars of big channels. But with that said, I would personally focus on learning how to grow on your own first, as that's a more important skill. Most people who win the lottery go broke within 5 years because they don't know how money works. It's the same with subscribers.
Thanks for the advice I will definitely give this a try. I just joined the forums almost a week ago so I just need to be patient when it comes to making friends. I also haven't been on Youtube long so I can't just expect something like that to happen right away. Also this might be off topic but how do you have your view and sub goal on display under your comment or do you know a forum name that could show me how? Thanks again

The Cold Abyss

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I would reach out to people with a similar sub count and related content. I would try 2 help someone if I could. Lol I haven't colabed yet either man so I feel u lol.

tlegacytv

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Most Youtubers would collab with a smaller Youtuber if the smaller Youtube has great content and a great idea for a video.
Thanks this makes me feel a bit more at ease.[DOUBLEPOST=1471771002,1471770915][/DOUBLEPOST]
I would reach out to people with a similar sub count and related content. I would try 2 help someone if I could. Lol I haven't colabed yet either man so I feel u lol.
Thanks for the advice. I will make it happen eventually for you and me. I just need to stop being so shy and awkward lol

Reactions: The Cold Abyss

The Cold Abyss

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Thanks this makes me feel a bit more at ease.[DOUBLEPOST=1471771002,1471770915][/DOUBLEPOST]
Thanks for the advice. I will make it happen eventually for you and me. I just need to stop being so shy and awkward lol
Ur very much welcomed! :) :thumbsup2: Trying is all one can ask/do sometimes.

Dryve

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'm fortunate enough to have a couple friends with youtube channels, who I have done a few collabs with. Every youtuber wants to do collabs with bigger channels, as it helps bring in more subs and views. But, I would do collabs with smaller channels if I liked their content. Even just thinking of my own channel it still helps. I have done collabs with one of my friends who does not make videos himself, simply because we are very good friends, which can bring out some unique and interesting commentary, which in turn helps my channel out. So yes, there is benefit to collabing with a smaller youtuber if they can add to your commentary and make you look better. As far as finding people to collab with, I would recommend finding someone you are comfortable around if you can, but keep an eye out because some youtubers have different opinions. For example, I personally tend to refuse collab requests as most of the people who ask to collab are smaller than me and do not have very engaging content. However if I found someone that could add on to my content, I would consider it. Some youtubers will refuse to do any collabs with anyone who they don't know, while others are very open to collabs with others. Keep looking around and trying to make friends on yttalk and youtube, and you will find someone to collab with. In the meantime make sure you have quality content to make you more appealing to bigger channels! Hope this helped :D

Reactions: Anjim