Having a major issue with one person.

Kyle2000

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
So I am new to this forum. I have about 1,000 subscribers on YouTube, and about 292,000 views total. I have a nice channel, I do tech videos, tech reviews, and other videos. Recently I've been having this issue with this guy named "John Smith". Yes, I am aware that it is a fake name this guy is using.

So I made an intro for my channel, I made it all by myself with no help. So I uploaded it to YouTube. Then this "John Smith" guy decided to just download my video, and just reupload it, saying it was his work. Well, people of course are not that gullible and called him out on his actions. He just repiled with "Thanks for viewing my work! I spend lots of time to create this for my friend". I even filed a copyright takendown but he countered it.

This "John Smith" also keeps dislking my videos with alts. Every video I upload gets like 1-3 dislikes. It's actually rare to see a video with 0 dislikes. It's not because the content is bad, because I do a lot of video editing, and I make good thumbnails and titles. However because I get like 12 likes for every video I make it's not a big deal. However he has alot of alts or people because when I uploaded my 1,000 sub video it got over 40 dislikes. Yes. Even on my last video it got 9 dislikes in a few seconds.

And then his alts/friends leave racist, disgusting, and rude comments. One of his alts legit said "Your terrible drink bleach hole you get shot up by a school shooter one day". I know it's petty, but it's a bit annoying. They make false claims that I "make videos only for the money" and I subbot.

It's just really annoying to have to put up with 1-9 dislikes and 3 comments trying to destroy your self-esteem on every video you work hard on and then have 40 alts go and ruin something you worked hard on. I'm afraid the dislikes may turn new viewers away. This guy is trying his very best to destroy my hard work. Anything I can do about this? Can I get his alts terminated for spam?
chrome_2018-03-20_11-16-57.png

BrettMikaluk

Uniquely Awesome Since 1997
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
This is super s****y... I've had a few of these happen before. I would suggest two things.

1. Don't let it get to you, keep creating the content you love and the actual subscribers that are enjoying the content will continue to support you!

2. I would suggest getting in contact with YouTube support and see if they can do anything about it, rather than going through their automated copyright claim system!

That's just my two cents!

Reactions: xMiMiTheQueenx

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I’m really sorry this is happing to you! I’ve had this happen to me before some person created a couple accounts just to dislike, but dislikes don’t actually ruin a video if anything they are counted as interaction so it helps your channel more than hurt it.

Kyle2000

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I’m really sorry this is happing to you! I’ve had this happen to me before some person created a couple accounts just to dislike, but dislikes don’t actually ruin a video if anything they are counted as interaction so it helps your channel more than hurt it.
This is super s****y... I've had a few of these happen before. I would suggest two things.

1. Don't let it get to you, keep creating the content you love and the actual subscribers that are enjoying the content will continue to support you!

2. I would suggest getting in contact with YouTube support and see if they can do anything about it, rather than going through their automated copyright claim system!

That's just my two cents!
Alright, I will E-Mail YouTube and see what they can do about it.

MyBigBrain

I've Got It
Reaction score
but dislikes don’t actually ruin a video if anything they are counted as interaction so it helps your channel more than hurt it.
Do you have proof of this? If I dislike a video because it is of poor quality, or has offensive or illegal content,
how can YT consider this to be a good thing for the channel? [DOUBLEPOST=1521604165,1521603070][/DOUBLEPOST]
So I made an intro for my channel, I made it all by myself with no help. So I uploaded it to YouTube. Then this "John Smith" guy decided to just download my video, and just reupload it, saying it was his work.
If the intro is for your channel then people will see an intro for your channel. So he is actually doing you a favor by spreading the intro for your channel?

Whatever you do, don't engage this guy or his minions. It will only escalate his responses. If I was in your shoes, I would temporarily disable like/dislike for a week or two until this guy gets bored and goes away. Once he realizes that his actions have no impact on yourself or your channel, he will stop.

Last edited:

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Do you have proof of this? If I dislike a video because it is of poor quality, or has offensive or illegal content,
how can YT consider this to be a good thing for the channel? [DOUBLEPOST=1521604165,1521603070][/DOUBLEPOST]

If the intro is for your channel then people will see an intro for your channel. So he is actually doing you a favor by spreading the intro for your channel?

Whatever you do, don't engage this guy or his minions. It will only escalate his responses. If I was in your shoes, I would temporarily disable like/dislike for a week or two until this guy gets bored and goes away. Once he realizes that his actions have no impact on yourself or your channel, he will stop.
I’ve seen all over this forum that dislikes is counted as interaction and there’s a lot of big channels that get more dislikes than likes and somehow their video still goes trending. I didn’t know it was counted as interaction until I joined this forum. If you look around on here I’m sure you will find it. Update I @ you in of the threads. Also a lot of intetrent trolls go around pushing the dislikes button out of meanness without even watching the video.

Last edited:

MyBigBrain

I've Got It
Reaction score
I didn’t know it was counted as interaction until I joined this forum.
Ever since I joined this forum, I keep hearing that a dislike is good for a channel. Repeated over and over as if it's a fact. But where is their proof that a dislike is a good thing for a channel?

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
I really wouldn't worry about the dislikes.

The comment on the other hand is downright abusive and should be reported. If you go to the comments section of Creator Studio (under "Community") you will see a flag sign at the side of each comment. Here there is a drop down menu that allows you to report spam or abuse.

Wakanda

Reaction score
Looks like a vindictive troll. If the only thing he can muster is 4 dislikes,then I doubt it will impact your channel in any significant way. Just keep on churning out good content and soon his dislikes will not be noticeable.

Personally I have never been deterred by dislikes nor attracted by likes. I just get in to experience for myself regardless of what others say. And I have since learnt that even the best of videos will earn dislikes. Some just do it for the sake.

Reactions: xMiMiTheQueenx

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Unfortunately there are bullies/idiots everywhere.
If I was you I would simply block all users that leave abusive messages.
Try to ignore the dislikes. Eventually these people get bored and move on.
For the reuploads - all you can do is report them or again try to ignore.
I have had all the above a number of times.

Reactions: SevenFortyOne