Good grades = good future???

Olivea-Sea

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've been pressured all my life to study, study, study and I did because I felt like I had no other option or support.
So I did and I'm almost finishing my study and I'm miserable about it... I hate the field and I wish I could have taken a break somewhere in-between where I had just the time to think about all of it.... about life what happy and successful means to me.

Since I started my youtube channel I have been thinking and making my own view of the world and that has resulted in me saying: I'm going to do something totally different when I'm graduated and I'm going to make me happy by doing something that I love instead of something that I have been pressured into!

Reactions: Sabrina

TheBatteryChicken

Level 34 Drug Dealer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I didn't bother writing a serious response when I saw most people in this thread don't think working class jobs are even jobs. Mainly just complaining that you can't get the job they want and don't want to do a job that requires actual hard graft.

clerick

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
School is not for everyone and there are too many people graduating in huge debt with worthless degrees, and yet there is a huge stigma that if you don't go to college you'll fail at life and never accomplish anything. For me college was a complete waste of time.

Reactions: Julius Gacgacao

Safety Turtle

Turtle Power!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer
I take it this is mainly aimed at the US from the comments, but will give a Danish view on it anyway ^^

Here, grades can affect your future as some schools demand certain grades in certain topics to be able to enter, it depends a lot on the job you want to get.
There's also a lot of options left when it comes to getting a job that isn't a spare-time job if you don't have an education...luckily, education is free and you even get paid to study here, so it's not that big of an issue.

Reactions: Julius Gacgacao

Julius Gacgacao

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I take it this is mainly aimed at the US from the comments, but will give a Danish view on it anyway ^^

Here, grades can affect your future as some schools demand certain grades in certain topics to be able to enter, it depends a lot on the job you want to get.
There's also a lot of options left when it comes to getting a job that isn't a spare-time job if you don't have an education...luckily, education is free and you even get paid to study here, so it's not that big of an issue.
Thanks for reading! It's interesting to hear an opinion, about this topic coming from some who's from another country.

Julius Gacgacao

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
School is not for everyone and there are too many people graduating in huge debt with worthless degrees, and yet there is a huge stigma that if you don't go to college you'll fail at life and never accomplish anything. For me college was a complete waste of time.
Clerick, although I'm in high school. I can agree with you when you say people graduate with a lot of debt and student loans.
My current plan is to save my money and not go to college. To further pursue my filmmaking career.

FamilyToyReview

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Success depends on you. Its all about the hustle. Putting effort in your education is usually a once in a lifetime opportunity to improve your position and understanding of the world while youre still young. Good effort in school is just one aspect of getting your hustle on. How to get from point A to B is all up to you. Someone previously mentioned you need connections. Yeah having luck can help, but some people dont wait for luck, instead they find ways to make luck happen.

Anyways parents can be difficult. They're just pushing the most conventional path to success. You wont get them off the school thing until you start showing them you can be succesful. But really education is an invaluable tool in life. And doing well in school or improving your film making are not your only choices. You can do both. Pump yourself up and put your mind to it. If theres a problem there has to be a solution. Get your hustle on.

CrazyPUA

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Reviewer
It all depends on what you want to be in life. If you want to be a Doctor, Engineer, Lawyer you will need good grades to get into college which is completely required for these careers. In your case grades will not make you a better film maker. I recommend you check out some of Gary Vaynerchuk's keynotes where he talks about this. He was a D student during High school, skipped College and now he is a successful entrepreneur.

Furry Gurus

I'm a girl!
Reaction score
Grades are important to have a plan B. I'm all about going for your dreams, but make sure you have something to fall back on, because life doesn't always work out the way you want it to. Getting a good degree in filmmaking could be what is required for that one job you aimed for, so if you have the time to combine study with film. I would go for it.

binky VS bunson

LoL Guys
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I got straight B's all through college with putting in minimal effort... a rogue A here and there.... I could have easily gotten straight A's.... but college is fun and I like fun..... and I'm doing just fine with 3.2 GPA on my transcripts ;) haha

Truth be told, it's experience that's going to get you a career.... BUT that being said, many employers have a bachelors as a prerequisite to even apply