Spaceshipcontrol

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hello guys,

a little bit of a backstory might help. So, actually, i uploaded my first videos around year ago, from beginning of April to July, but i deleted most of them because they sucked, only leaving one video that is actually funny. That is why i actually started out with a few subscribers when I started making videos again in December, where i uploaded a Christmas Special Parody that involved humor so dark i wasn't sure if i should even dare to upload it. I did anyways, and since then i have been consistently uploading videos for 3 months straight. At first, i tried to upload a video per week(every Friday), which was difficult at first, but soon after I realized that i could actually make more than that. In February, i uploaded 9 videos with ease, the majority of them being 4-7 minutes long and actually of decent quality.
Towards the end of February i started to realize that my videos aren't getting a lot of videos. And it really is kinda sad to have 20-30 views per video, especially if you spent many hours and hours making them. So i decided to promote my videos on Reddit... :unsure2:
Yeeeaaaahhh... I soon realized that Reddit really seems to hate people who try to share their content with others. They expect you to wait for others to do it, but for that to happen you need them to find out about the videos in the first place. And that is literally impossible. The majority of those who happen to get the initial exposure, got it, because someone shared their videos on Reddit or Twitter.
Actually, despite all the hate, my channel was actually starting to get somewhere. I lost one of my Reddit accounts(had 2, one as mainly a backup) to the banhammer after i got into a major altercation with an admin who literally has no respect for content creators/artists. :stomp::banghead::mad::mad:
I want to point out that more respect for content creators/artists could literally have prevented the Holocaust and possibly the Second World War.
But my videos got way more views, many got hundreds of views over a few weeks of self-promoting, one video got thousands, and gets many views every day since then, for some reason(YouTube search?), even though I stopped promoting it, and slowed down on the self-promotion due to the massive hatred from the Reddit community that seems to be completely nuts. Also, i really don't want to lose my other account as well, and got banned on multiple subreddits.

Now, my channel is going downhill in terms of views per day again. I have 39 subscribers, though, had 40 recently but lost one for whatever reason, but I still have 39, and I am happy about every new subscriber. :)

But i really don't know what to do. Reddit hates me, Twitter is ineffective, because i have only 200 followers(I use hashtags, which helps a little bit, but not much), it is quite a bit frustrating, because i put quite a lot of effort into my videos, even though they might sometimes seem like they are low-quality(that is intentional, for example i intentionally put in heavily distorted, oversteering Royalty Free Ukulele Music for the lulz).

TL;DR: Does anybody have any tips on how to get more exposure?

Reactions: BillyVlogsTV

GrgakGames

Phoenix Games Enthusiast (Please end my life)
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Lol Reddit is not meant for promoting your videos. What.

Unless you are 100% sure that your video would interest people on that board and also if it is allowed. (even then you need to be active on the board and not just post and leave)

For how to get exposure that is more on the luck/tags/relevance side of YouTube.

I looked at two of your videos and to be honest they are not that great, the humor (mlg pro s**t) is funny if done right but this stuff is just pretty bland.

Spaceshipcontrol

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Lol Reddit is not meant for promoting your videos. What.
Then what is meant for promotion?

Unless you are 100% sure that your video would interest people on that board and also if it is allowed. (even then you need to be active on the board and not just post and leave)
I am active on Reddit, mostly in the comments, but i've also started sharing videos made by others that i enjoyed on Reddit.

For how to get exposure that is more on the luck/tags/relevance side of YouTube.

I looked at two of your videos and to be honest they are not that great, the humor (mlg pro s**t) is funny if done right but this stuff is just pretty bland.
Which ones did you watch? There are a few that aren't all that great, that is true. And while it is true that there is some MLG, especially in some of my newer ones, the MLG stuff isn't really the main focus most of the time. It is a mix of puns, dark and/or surreal humor, satire, sometimes intentionally bad editing, etc.

TopScienceFacts

I've Got It
Reaction score
Reddit is one of the most effective tools out there, got me from 0 - 1000 in a month but you have to respect the rules!

Your suppose to post no more than 1 out of every 10 posts that is your own work!

Also I haven't checked your channel but reddit likes content that the whole subreddit should like! So if you a spamming it on irrelevant subreddits that's a ban and if people dislike the content enough they will simply report you for spam.

Don't blame the social networks, blame your actions!

Mr Danny

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I think the general rule is perseverance. Keep using Twitter and any other social media (Tumblr, for example, or Google+), and they will all slowly start to grow. Frustrating, but eventually it works. :)

Kelkschiz

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
When I started out my channel my views basically came from two sources. First and foremost they came from online communities like internet forums, forums that have a strong connection with the type of content I make and which I was already a part of before I started making videos. Surprisingly, the second thing that provided me with exposure were the Youtube and Google search engines. SEO is very important. At least for the type of content that I make.

That being said, I feel your pain. A lot of the more interesting options to get exposure really start when you are an established channel and you can do collabs and people start sharing your stuff. At that point it can start snowballing.

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
All I can say is keep at it. Make good videos, find people who are making videos like yours and make friends with them. Be good to your community. Promote on social media. Be active. Mostly, keep at it.

scott faulknor

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
I post my video on my twitter, Facebook and patreon to get more exposure.

Mirandapanda

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's true that Reddit is merciless when it comes to posting video, and self-promotion in general. The only way your video post would not crash and burn is if it seamlessly fits in with the content in the subreddit you choose to post it in, and is of excellent quality, and even then it may still do poorly. I tried there and got a few hundred extra views, but they were low retention views and not worth it.

Promote on your own social media. What I do is follow people within my target niche on twitter, and talk about my channel (and not pressure them to subscribe or even check it out). Works pretty well for me, but ymmv of course. If you have a tumblr or can get a following on there, they are a bit more receptive toward self-promotion, since it's a network of personal blogs.

PositivelyBrainwashed

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
First thing I quickly noticed was your thumbnails were not unique and branded. You want people to watch your videos and quickly notice on the suggested videos on the right that you have many others.

Second thing I noticed was that your channel header is poorly made. Make sure your using the proper dimensions 2560 x 1440.

Third, I'm not sure I understand the message you're trying to deliver with your channel. It's seems kinda scattered. This is just the feeling I get when I look at all the thumbnails and titles of your videos.

Good luck :)