Finding my niche

Reaction score
Hey Everyone, Im 18 years old, im an aspiring youtube and film maker, ive spent years trying to start and get a channel. Making a channel, posting a few videos and then deleting the channel because its not working because im scared of what people have thought and then repeat.

I want to be a film maker. Like thats my dream job! Making videos has been a passion of mine for so long ive just always had that fear of the opinions of other. I struggle with social anxiety so i struggle with the opinions of others in life in general.

I currently have a channel which has just the most random stuff on like its terrible, it has one short film ive made, one short documentary video i made for college, i couple montage videos and a couple vlogs. Its seriously all over the place.

Id love to have a vlogging channel but i just feel like i havent got the audience for something like that yet. So i need to pick a topic which will allow me to get some people watching and then i can start from there. Im getting frustrated with myself for being so scared of peoples opinions and i know its something i need to work on but its my hardest hurdle out of any ill ever have to come across in my life.

I just dont know what channel i want to do because if theres one thing thats for sure its that i dont want to do youtube for the views or the money i want to do it for the love and the fun of making content for people to enjoy thats always been my motive. Im such a perfectionist though that this motive prevents me from creating content because i worry that my content is never good enough.

Anyone help? Id love your advice and support!

Thank you so much!

daniel burgio

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It sounds like you already know what to do lol. Just don't be afraid. It's not a big deal if someone tells you to kill yourself in the comments. Been there, had that, nothing really changed in my life because of it.

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
You got to do what you love but you have to focus it on what people might be interested in as well as what's possible with your equipment, etc.

If you're 18 takes some classes on video production or volunteer / intern at a theatre or radio station. You'll get skills and make connections

Learn what not to do as well as what to do and don't be afraid. Many people hit it big by chance without realizing it until they are there

Reactions: daniel burgio

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
If your channel is starting out small, that's the perfect time to experiment. To me, that doesn't mean throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks, but more go full-on with one type of content (making videos regularly in that area, promoting them as much as you can, etc.) for a while and really check your analytics panel to see if it's working for your audience. A lot of people give up on a certain type of content without knowing why it's not working for them (watch time, search results, suggested videos, etc.), so really learn as much as you can about figuring out how an audience is finding your work and whether they're staying and/or returning, and you can figure out if a niche is right for you.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
My first channel started out as a mish mash of everything.
After a year I had about 50+ videos with no direction or identity.
I looked back over the channel to see what was most popular uploads and what I enjoyed creating the most and my niche stood out amongst the videos.
So I rebranded the channel and stuck to my niche and I enjoyed making every video thereafter.

Reactions: Boris Qs

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the strategy / technique forum. :)

allstarmel

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I foster cats and my son loves watching yt gamers and has been bugging me to set up gaming, my brother in law is going to set up the hardware it goes over my head -_- i want to combine the two and do a Gaming With Kitties-Adopt Us or something and a cat livestream of the cats in their room...my channel at the moment is of my pet minding business...would this work its not weird is it?

daniel burgio

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I foster cats and my son loves watching yt gamers and has been bugging me to set up gaming, my brother in law is going to set up the hardware it goes over my head -_- i want to combine the two and do a Gaming With Kitties-Adopt Us or something and a cat livestream of the cats in their room...my channel at the moment is of my pet minding business...would this work its not weird is it?
you should just do it. It might be weird, but there are lots of weird ideas that went big. Like that damn superhero-disney crossover garbage.

allstarmel

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
you should just do it. It might be weird, but there are lots of weird ideas that went big. Like that damn superhero-disney crossover garbage.
HAHA the what? im going to have to go search for that. there IS some crazy stupid stuff especially in the pet niche im constantly going WTF how did that get 100s of thousands of views lol I need to copy that!

daniel burgio

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
The superhero-disney crap gets millions and millions of views. It has stuff like Spider-Man in army gear fighting alongside Superman against some rando villains that are mostly made up.