And I recommend targeted subreddits if you want to try to "promote"...but ultimately, it shouldn't be about promoting. It should be about sharing relevant, quality content...where some (but not all or even most) of your links just *happen* to be your own stuff

I agree with all of the last post. And that last part is what Reddit is all about. It's why self promotion is not a good idea in general. It's not built to be a place for self-promotion. It just isn't. If you manage to make it work for you, then fine. But it's really not what the site is for.

My experience is there is a nice subreddit ( I think its called youtubers) that you can have people review a video or your channel but the rules are you have to review two other videos and copy and paste links to your reviews. I really liked it since you are helping each other out and I felt like the feedback was fairly constructive and not too mean or rude. It did give me a few more views but of corse not a ton of engagement. I also have posted on the you tube beauty Reddit and havent seen much progress there. It seems everyone there is just to try to promote ( which admittedly that's what I was doing) so I felt it was a wast of time. I really think you have to network there just like everywhere else.

Reddit is a scary place. You said it yourself it's confusing as anything. All I hear people say, when they used it to post their videos and other stuff, it gets downvoted and so much hate. So like Daniel Burgio said, use with caution.

Reddit got one of my videos 18k views in 3 days, it can be a great tool, but people on reddit are extremely bitter and harsh. My advice would be to not associate your reddit account to your youtube page, people on reddit are little babies and don't like any form of self promotion. Comment on some random subs on reddit a couple times a day, once your karma builds up post a link of your youtube video and in the title imply it is someone else's vid "look at this guy's cute cat" etc... Be prepared for some nasty feedback, reddit is FULL of trolls with pitchforks!

Since we do quite dark, crass humour, posting on Reddit (so far) hasn't had any net negatives. We get some good views from it, a few subscribers and nice comments. Rentention rate can be low...but so far no mass dislikes or horrible comments!

I use reddit from time to time usually with good results. You have to tread very, and I mean very carefully with reddit. You can let them perceive you as self promoting. Also be prepared for people to be mean. redditors tend to comment negative or troll-like comments first. That being said IF they like you, the sky's the limit. I posted a new video on /r/Zelda about the Master sword I built. I got an extra 450 views in 24 hours and 25 up votes.
I try to title my reddit posts in a way that is more like I want their opinion or feedback. For instance for my Master Sword video I Didn't say. "Check out my new, where I build a master sword" I titled it. "So, I made master sword. What do you think? Any good?

I think presenting content in a humble way on reddit is the way to go. Otherwise they will eat you alive.

hope my experiences with reddit will help. Just be careful and really don't over post. I post maybe one link a month, per subreddit.

best of luck!

I made a reddit but I feel like it's mostly risque because it can bring a lot of negative views and comments if your not careful. I personally think it's not worth it. But hey, that's just me.

Back