Thank you for stating what were also my thoughts about reddit! I don't understand it, many people recommend not self-promoting on reddit. I don't know what to think about it all so I look forward to seeing people's responses to this thread.

I echo everyone's sentiment. Unless your video is extremely good, stay away from the bigger sub-reddits. You'll get loads of abuse. The very small, specific subs are much more welcoming.
I find your post kind of funny because how do you know that your video is "extremely good" unless you allow other people to critique you. I get where you're coming from though, thanks for your input!

I find your post kind of funny because how do you know that your video is "extremely good" unless you allow other people to critique you. I get where you're coming from though, thanks for your input!

Well, Reddit might dislike it just because you put it there for them to see. They're spiteful like that. They just wanna share random crap. You could always get a friend to upload a vid for you. Or a sock puppet account lol. But Reddit might figure it out either way.

I think that there are definitely subreddits that are really good at critique (for example, r/youtubers). On the other hand, i will agree with others here that a subreddit like r/videos is not very good at critique -- most likely, you'll just see your submission downvoted to 0 very very quickly, with no comments about why.

I find that r/videos is really best designed for virally funny sorts of videos. It tough to discover a viral video before it has hit, much less to create them.

I think that there are definitely subreddits that are really good at critique (for example, r/youtubers). On the other hand, i will agree with others here that a subreddit like r/videos is not very good at critique -- most likely, you'll just see your submission downvoted to 0 very very quickly, with no comments about why.

I find that r/videos is really best designed for virally funny sorts of videos. It tough to discover a viral video before it has hit, much less to create them.

Fellow redditors on small youtuber subreddits will actually downvote you to bury your submission to limit competition for theirs. Or so I've heard.

Fellow redditors on small youtuber subreddits will actually downvote you to bury your submission to limit competition for theirs. Or so I've heard.
I definitely do not really recommend those "small youtuber" self-promotion subreddits for a number of reasons:

1) Lots of competition, as you noted
2) People who are just looking to promote their stuff aren't going to be trying to look at other people's content.
3) It's not a targeted audience anyway, so chances are you're not going to get a lot of views with good watch time/audience retention.

However, a subreddit like r/youtubers is ultimately not for self-promotion. It is specifically for critique, and as a subreddit, the moderators are pretty good about establishing ground rules (you have to review two others before posting, and you have to provide a self-critique.) In this way, the system works reasonably well, because people are incentivized to review others if they want to receive reviews.

And I recommend targeted subreddits if you want to try to "promote"...but ultimately, it shouldn't be about promoting. It should be about sharing relevant, quality content...where some (but not all or even most) of your links just *happen* to be your own stuff

Back