Best Way to start out ?

Victor M.

Reaction score
Hello. What laptop would you recommend ? I like macbook pros a lot . What do you think ?[DOUBLEPOST=1468318247,1468317996][/DOUBLEPOST]And what camera would you recommend for indoor videos ???? No proper answers yet :(

CaptainDelugo

Even Blackbeard is scared of me!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
My best tip is to have a clear idea what you want to shape your channel BEFORE you start it.
TOO MANY channels start their channel without a clue what they're getting into, make videos and somewhere in the middle actually start shaping up their channel.
Now if you want a good start, you want to have clear channel art, a decent concept and a unique channel branding that makes it YOUR channel!

Reactions: Victor M.

Victor M.

Reaction score
I know exactly what I want . I just don't know what equipment I will need to start .I want to do similar stuff to Joe Weller and Thatcherjoe . Basically life vids ,challenges,days out ,comedy and a bit of gaming . Can soneone give me a full list of what I will need? Finance is no matter . :) V[DOUBLEPOST=1468495797,1468493082][/DOUBLEPOST]
Ahh yeah I get it then, you'd need some kind of better equipment to start out.
So what would you recommend for just sitting in my room and talking and vlogging ? And why do I always see youtubers with macbook pros ? And in general , do vlogs need lots of editing or can one simply use imovie or similar "light" editors ? Are custom PCs better for editing than a normal macbook pro ? I personally can ENJOY the apple OS .What do you guys say ??? :)

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Can soneone give me a full list of what I will need? Finance is no matter . :) V
Ok here goes for indoor shots, this is what we have:

• Canon EOS 700D + 18-55mm IS STM Digital SLR Camera
  • 64GB SDXC SD XC Class 10 High Speed card for Canon EOS 700D 700 D
  • RC-6 Wireless IR Shutter Remote Control for Canon EOS
  • RODE Videomic Pro R VMPR Video Microphone & Rycote Mount
  • Rode DeadCat VMPR Furry Wind Cover Shield for New VideoMic Pro Rycote - Dead Cat
  • Photo Studio Softbox Lighting Boom Soft Box Light Muslin 3 Backdrops Stand Kit
  • spare bulbs: 2PCS 135W 5500K 220V E27 Photography Daylight Photo Video Studio Lamp Bulb
  • sturdy tripod + Universal Flexible Foam Octopus Mini Tripod Stand Cell phone Camera Grip Hot T99
  • Laptop/desktop + extra monitor - I have a 3 year old Samsung laptop that does things fine but slow. It's got 1TB HDD and 32GB RAM. You'll need all the RAM you can get once the PC is rendering and you're working on graphics and other stuff.
  • Also external HDD, we're up to 3 TB external backup storage with ~90 videos published and another 30+ in the release queue.
  • For software for video editing I use Adobe Premiere CS6. For all graphics Photoshop CS6 (I hate all that pay monthly cloud crap).
  • Good clean large table, we use IKEA TORSBY high-gloss white, looks great in videos on closeups of stuff on table

For outdoor filming in stable conditions I use the EOS700D + deadcat on the Rode mic
For unstable conditions or risky shots I use a Canon Powershot SX700HS and/or Samsung S5

I have also tried Waterproof Tough Case cover for Samsung Galaxy S5 for underwater shots. This needs more experimenting though. Would prefer a goPro with water case.

If $$ is not a concern, I recommend the top of the line GoPro for outdoor shots with all its accessories. We will be investing in one as soon as we build up some more revenue.

About Apple/Windows - it's a personal choice. I've always used Windows so that's the easiest choice for me. I also had all the Adobe applications, so my laptop was all setup to go. It's best to use the platform you are most comfortable with as tech hassles are the last thing you need when you start.

If $$ is not a concern, I would go with a state of the art PC with 3 external monitors. you can never have enough external monitors.

And one final thing, if $$ are really not a concern, a visiting massage service for neck and shoulder massage - things get sore sitting for days on end editing and youtubing.

That's enough to get started! Ebay for most of it.

Last edited:

Victor M.

Reaction score
Ok here goes for indoor shots, this is what we have:

• Canon EOS 700D + 18-55mm IS STM Digital SLR Camera
  • 64GB SDXC SD XC Class 10 High Speed card for Canon EOS 700D 700 D
  • RC-6 Wireless IR Shutter Remote Control for Canon EOS
  • RODE Videomic Pro R VMPR Video Microphone & Rycote Mount
  • Rode DeadCat VMPR Furry Wind Cover Shield for New VideoMic Pro Rycote - Dead Cat
  • Photo Studio Softbox Lighting Boom Soft Box Light Muslin 3 Backdrops Stand Kit
  • spare bulbs: 2PCS 135W 5500K 220V E27 Photography Daylight Photo Video Studio Lamp Bulb
  • sturdy tripod + Universal Flexible Foam Octopus Mini Tripod Stand Cell phone Camera Grip Hot T99
  • Laptop/desktop + extra monitor - I have a 3 year old Samsung laptop that does things fine but slow. It's got 1TB HDD and 32GB RAM. You'll need all the RAM you can get once the PC is rendering and you're working on graphics and other stuff.
  • Also external HDD, we're up to 3 TB external backup storage with ~90 videos published and another 30+ in the release queue.
  • For software for video editing I use Adobe Premiere CS6. For all graphics Photoshop CS6 (I hate all that pay monthly cloud crap).
  • Good clean large table, we use IKEA TORSBY high-gloss white, looks great in videos on closeups of stuff on table

For outdoor filming in stable conditions I use the EOS700D + deadcat on the Rode mic
For unstable conditions or risky shots I use a Canon Powershot SX700HS and/or Samsung S5

I have also tried Waterproof Tough Case cover for Samsung Galaxy S5 for underwater shots. This needs more experimenting though. Would prefer a goPro with water case.

If $$ is not a concern, I recommend the top of the line GoPro for outdoor shots with all its accessories. We will be investing in one as soon as we build up some more revenue.

About Apple/Windows - it's a personal choice. I've always used Windows so that's the easiest choice for me. I also had all the Adobe applications, so my laptop was all setup to go. It's best to use the platform you are most comfortable with as tech hassles are the last thing you need when you start.

If $$ is not a concern, I would go with a state of the art PC with 3 external monitors. you can never have enough external monitors.

And one final thing, if $$ are really not a concern, a visiting massage service for neck and shoulder massage - things get sore sitting for days on end editing and youtubing.

That's enough to get started! Ebay for most of it.
WOW thank you so much !!! That was super helpful ! I like the idea of getting massages!!! My dad's a psychotherapist so I will definitely look into getting some free treatement out of him ;) lol. Thanks so much though that was exactly what I was after !!! :) :) :) :)

Victor M.

Reaction score
Would you recommend the 700d or would the g7x be more useful ? what about the 70d ? I have found the following cameras , they all seem pretty good : Panasonic Lumix GH4 , GF7 ,GX8 , TZ57 , Olympus OM -D E -M5 MkII , Canon Eos 750D , 760D , Nikon D5500 . There are of course many many more but these have found so far . What do you guys think ?

Last edited: