Best Way to start out ?

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I think your questions depend a lot on what types of videos you're looking to make. If you're doing something simple, like sitting in front of the camera and talking, then your camera can be a certain size and record for a certain number of minutes, and have X amount of memory, etc. Different story if you're going to be making videos while you're skiing down a slope or recording stuff that's going to require something light and agile, like a GoPro.

Same thing for editing/laptop equipment. For basic stuff, you can use what comes with any decent laptop, like iMovie or Windows Movie Maker, but if you want to make more elaborate effects and such, then you're going to want something more like what the pros use.

If you haven't even made any videos yet, I'd say use what you have, like an iPhone camera, which takes pretty decent quality video, and test out a few videos and see what's happening before investing in expensive equipment.

Victor M.

Reaction score
I think your questions depend a lot on what types of videos you're looking to make. If you're doing something simple, like sitting in front of the camera and talking, then your camera can be a certain size and record for a certain number of minutes, and have X amount of memory, etc. Different story if you're going to be making videos while you're skiing down a slope or recording stuff that's going to require something light and agile, like a GoPro.

Same thing for editing/laptop equipment. For basic stuff, you can use what comes with any decent laptop, like iMovie or Windows Movie Maker, but if you want to make more elaborate effects and such, then you're going to want something more like what the pros use.

If you haven't even made any videos yet, I'd say use what you have, like an iPhone camera, which takes pretty decent quality video, and test out a few videos and see what's happening before investing in expensive equipment.
Thanks a lot xingcat , I totally agree . The thing is though, I don't have a camera except for a Samsung es75 compact cam perfect for old aunties ! So what I personally want to do is buy the best camera -laptop-lighting setup I can get on ebay for under 600 pounds (700$ i think) . I'm thinking about filming indoor vlogs , and general stuff in my room . I would probably go with a good canon dslr , apple laptop (mac pro or air) 2011 or newer , and custom build my lighting to my preferences . It all sounds a bit far fetched,but i think if i read a few books on dslr videomaking and setups and editing etc I can go a long way instead of wasting money constantly upgrading my setup . I watch lots of video tutorials by Derral Eves ( I like Tim Schmoyer a lot but I can't focus on what he is saying because his voice drives me crazy…) and I gain confidence which I think really helps ... Thanks!

Victor M.

Reaction score
Your opinions would be much appreciated ! by the way I have also developed an interest in retro gaming. Do you think people are interested in this or is everyone into fifa and gta5 ?

KQ4rt

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
You should do more research before buying expensive equipment man! Need to figure out your favourite things to make first, then try it, learn from the mistakes. When you got the basics done, that's when you invest in fancy stuffs

Victor M.

Reaction score
You should do more research before buying expensive equipment man! Need to figure out your favourite things to make first, then try it, learn from the mistakes. When you got the basics done, that's when you invest in fancy stuffs
Of course I will do much more research ! I don't want to start on the spot !!! I want to start next year or so . What I'm talking about right now is just a very rough sketch.I don't tink I 'm quite that dumb (yet...)! lol.[DOUBLEPOST=1468078024,1468077853][/DOUBLEPOST]Thanks for the tips though ,KQ4rt !

KyaImatai

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Hi there , I have lots of newbie questions . here goes...
what is the best camera i can get on ebay for under 400£ ? what is the best computer (laptop)for doing youtube editing etc. ? and at which point will I making 100-800 pounds a month ? and last but not least, please give me some tips on starting out right! thanks ! p.s. i am totally new on youtube , no videos .
1. I use a Canon G7x which was about £300 i think
2. I use a home built computer which cost about £1000 so that's not very helpful :/ sorry
3. be yourself, have a consistent upload schedule and don't worry about the numbers too much!!

Hope this helps :giggle:

Reactions: Victor M.

Odralix

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Of course I will do much more research ! I don't want to start on the spot !!! I want to start next year or so . What I'm talking about right now is just a very rough sketch.I don't tink I 'm quite that dumb (yet...)! lol.[DOUBLEPOST=1468078024,1468077853][/DOUBLEPOST]Thanks for the tips though ,KQ4rt !
When it comes to youtube I've learnt and seen in hindsight that while some preparations are good, you really just want to start as soon as possible despite not having the best equipment. Naturally some types of videos won't be possible without SOME possibly expensive equipment and preperation but you want to start out as early as possible, despite thinking your quality is not up to par. Jacksepticeye on youtube is one example, he started recording his voice with some kind of really cheap microphone inside his shirt but upgraded over time and now a few years later has millions of subs. Basically what I'm saying is, you want to start as soon as you possibly can and keep a consistent schedule. That way you can start earning subscribers, start getting into the process AND start learning. There is no faster way to learn than actually doing the videos you plan to do.

Victor M.

Reaction score
1. I use a Canon G7x which was about £300 i think
2. I use a home built computer which cost about £1000 so that's not very helpful :/ sorry
3. be yourself, have a consistent upload schedule and don't worry about the numbers too much!!

Hope this helps :giggle:
Thanks for the great tips ! I've checked out the G7X before as it has excellent reviews and vlogging capability ! now i know what to look for . thanks !
When it comes to youtube I've learnt and seen in hindsight that while some preparations are good, you really just want to start as soon as possible despite not having the best equipment. Naturally some types of videos won't be possible without SOME possibly expensive equipment and preperation but you want to start out as early as possible, despite thinking your quality is not up to par. Jacksepticeye on youtube is one example, he started recording his voice with some kind of really cheap microphone inside his shirt but upgraded over time and now a few years later has millions of subs. Basically what I'm saying is, you want to start as soon as you possibly can and keep a consistent schedule. That way you can start earning subscribers, start getting into the process AND start learning. There is no faster way to learn than actually doing the videos you plan to do.
Really awesome tips !!! thanks a bunch !!!!!!

But I don't have a smartphone ,laptop , desktop or anything with access to the net except for this kindle e-reader with a black and white screen . :( :( :( :,(

Last edited:
Reactions: KyaImatai

Odralix

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Thanks for the great tips ! I've checked out the G7X before as it has excellent reviews and vlogging capability ! now i know what to look for . thanks !

Really awesome tips !!! thanks a bunch !!!!!!

But I don't have a smartphone ,laptop , desktop or anything with access to the net except for this kindle e-reader with a black and white screen . :( :( :( :,(
Ahh yeah I get it then, you'd need some kind of better equipment to start out.