Don'ts of Self Promoting in Yt Comments

Brucey

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I always thought the rule of self-promoting in the Youtube comment section is to not self-promote in the Youtube comment section :p Good guide though. I'd also add to try and make it as non-obvious as possible when self-promoting yourself in others comment sections. Such as "Great video, <Upoloader Name>. I've been a fan of you for awhile and a lot of my videos are inspired by your content ^.^". Though definitely don't say something like that unless it's true. You don't want to seem like a fraud.

Reactions: TaxOwlbear

JakeyBlueEyes

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
T
Promoting yourself in the comments is kind of getting annoying. If you want to promote yourself in the comments, I highly suggest you look at these rule I made up. These are just my opinion so don't take them too seriously. Just know that I will not check out or subscribe to your channel if you do these things.

Don'ts of Self Promoting in Comments

1. Don't comment if you don't have any videos. I kept seeing this one guy comment telling people to check out his channel, but there were no videos. I bookmarked his channel and four months later, still no videos.

2. Don't say "I make videos similar to ___, unless it is true" This one person commented on a vloggers channel, saying they make similar content, but they were a minecraft channel.

3. Don't create fake accounts to thumbs or up comment on your comments. This one is obvious and eventually people find out. I've seen a few of these.

4. Don't comment saying to check out your channel if you haven't made a video in months. If you haven't made a video in 3 months, you shouldn't be spend time commenting to get viewers. Instead, spend time making a new video.

5. Don't comment if there is a video on your channel, saying "I don't care about the numbers." This makes you a hypocrite. There is this one YouTuber who has a few thousand subscribers but still has the need to comment. However, on a couple videos he says he isn't it for a lot of subs and doesn't care how many subs he gets. hmmmm.

6. Don't forget to proofread your comment. This one should be a rule if you making any comment on a YouTube video in general.

7. Don't comment on smaller Youtubers channels with for sole intent of self promotion. If they have under 100,000 subs chances are they read every single comment, I think it insulting to do this to smaller channels. Just the other day, a person commented to check out their channel and they had more subs then the person they were commenting on.

8. Don't apologize, if you were really sorry you wouldn't do it. No need to say sorry, when you know you aren't.

9. Don't expect that you will gain a million subscribers overnight just from self-promoting via comments. You might gain a few, but it won't be that many.

10. Don't resort the comments as the only way to grow your channel. There are plenty of other ways to grow your channel like collabs, social media, better titles, tags, and thumbnails, or just making quality content.

Tell me what you think. Do you find these helpful?
Thanks for all the advice ill keep this in mind hopefully it will help me grow a bit more :)

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
It´s a big heads up if the comment immediately goes to the spam section, which you might know, that the person in questions says it to a lot of people!

Reactions: TaxOwlbear

WolfWraith

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
It´s a big heads up if the comment immediately goes to the spam section, which you might know, that the person in questions says it to a lot of people!
So that's how they determine it! That's nice to know, I always assumed YouTube had an algorithm in place that searched for certain words and sentences in those spammy comments which is why they usually appeared in my spam instead of showing in the comments. But this makes more sense xD

Alienskii

Reaction score
Very true. I found a good way to self promote without saying anything about your channel. I remember this commenter on alltop10s and watchmojo and he was kinda famous in the comments for saying witty and clever things about the video. after a few months of doing that, he was able to get 500 subs without any videos. So if you say something clever on a popular video, people are more likely to check out your channel.

Bannik13

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
LOL number 1 is actually so common.. How can people assume they will receive subscribers if they have no content at all?

Reactions: CoolMoo5

TaxOwlbear

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
LOL number 1 is actually so common.. How can people assume they will receive subscribers if they have no content at all?
Sub4sub. If you only do sub4sub, it's not like anyone is actually watching your content, so why have content to begin with? :D

Topknot

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Great Tips! Definitely going to take this into consideration if I decide to do this as a way of self promoting

SlayerXtR

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Great post and great tips!

Sometimes if you just talk about their video and add in something like "Well, I did this game and I really think you would be awesome at or would add something new to it.. I did a let's play of this game.. can you check it out and see what you think of the game?"

That can drive people to it and then also drive people to the same idea or maybe even back it up.