youtube tips for beginners

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Tell me more please about your experiences with preroll ads. How long are your ads? Is it similar to a channel trailer?
You can either make a separate video for the preroll ads, you just use your best video. What you choose is up to you, sometimes I actually use my channel trailer for my preroll ad! They are quite effective as long as you target correctly and set the bid to 0.01. DO NOT let youtube randomly show your ad to people, OR set a price for you.

Reactions: KiddieToysReview

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You can either make a separate video for the preroll ads, you just use your best video. What you choose is up to you, sometimes I actually use my channel trailer for my preroll ad! They are quite effective as long as you target correctly and set the bid to 0.01. DO NOT let youtube randomly show your ad to people, OR set a price for you.
thanks for your reply!

I have only used the "Video discovery ads" which show up on search results and related and overlays, but have never used the In-Stream/Preroll. I have seen quite a few from newer channels, and they always seem to have a channel trailer type highlighting their best moments, sometimes with a voice overlay talking what the channel is about. Very different from the professional ad agency ones for banks, cars, etc.

For my ads I tried manual targeting, and letting YT target. I found the sub rates and earned views very similar. I think YT targets quite well. I can however see if you target the pre-rolls exactly where your audience is, that could be quite good (and sneaky). I can imagine kids expecting to see a particular kid, but have to watch 5 seconds of our kids. Hahaha. Very interesting.