Where are the best places to post your videos?

Hey guys I was wondering other than Facebook and twitter. What sites are there out there that you can promote your channel on to increase sub's and views??

I wanna start by saying, I'm fairly new to the forums, but I'm very much enjoying the atmosphere of it. Everyone is really friendly and helpful, so thanks :D Moving on!

This is more of a discussion starter rather than a straight question.. But does anyone else get a little overwhelmed by promoting your channels? What I mean is, for example, I struggle as to where, when and how to promote your videos and/or channel.. Obviously I don't want to spam anyone, but I just find myself getting lost by the idea of 'promotion'..

Anyone else feel like this? And does anyone have any pointers? Such as, what sites do you guys feel are the best places promote? Or how do you approach promoting on Facebook or Twitter? Thanks for reading! :)

I know what you mean by overwhelmed. There are so many social networks to promote on - we are quite active on Instagram, and share links to G+ communities. Trying to do Twitter, but apart from the usual share after posting a video, not much with Twitter. Also have a blogger site, and a WP site, in varying levels of development. And Tumblr too. And Pinterest.

The place we are most active on now is YT. We watch and comment on other videos in our category (kids channels). This has been the most beneficial I believe. We have found with our youtube channel (and other projects alongside this) that people are pretty sticky to their own social network. So when you post YT stuff on Instagram, hardly any people will click over. Same with facebook - FB users want embedded videos, and will likely not click through to YT and take them out of their feed. I find it with my own browsing behavior - when I turn on my personal FB, I rarely click external links, it's too much of a bother to have all these other apps load on my phone. I have seen this behavior with my friends who I have talked to (and who HAVE NOT) clicked through to our videos. A few comments I got were along the lines of "I don't want to go to YT, just load the video on facebook and we'll watch it there".

Now having said all that, a kids channel that started less than 12 months ago and has grown to 1.8M subs and 3B views, has done virtually zero external social media promotions apart from the standard share to G+/T on upload (from analysis of their social media accounts). They seem to have grown just on YT by making videos that engage people.

For us going forward, 90% of social media time will be spent on YT by engaging with other channels and making videos that other people hopefully want to see. All this may be applicable only to kids channels, I don't know, and other categories may be different.

Reddit. There have been lots of threads on how to use Reddit. You can probably search for them.
Where do post on reddit? I tried once and got shadow banned. I see people mention here they use reddit but reddit seems to be against it. I created new account recently and found a sub called newtubers or something like that and posted there. But reddit rules say dont promote yourself too much.

Its pretty confusing to me the best way to use reddit.[DOUBLEPOST=1457552230,1457552109][/DOUBLEPOST]
Reddit has been the best for me. My first video to reach > 500 views got 900~ ish views all overnight after being posted to Reddit and reaching to the top of the subreddit it was posted in.

That said now what I try to do is make my videos searchable and only occasionally share one here and there on Reddit if I feel it'd contribute specifically to the one or two subreddits I'm most active in. Since Reddit kind of works on a rule of "If you're an active contributing member of the community here, and you share something - it's all good, but if you just come here to share your content links, no thanks".
Which subreddits do you usually use?[DOUBLEPOST=1457553042][/DOUBLEPOST]
Now having said all that, a kids channel that started less than 12 months ago and has grown to 1.8M subs and 3B views, has done virtually zero external social media promotions apart from the standard share to G+/T on upload (from analysis of their social media accounts). They seem to have grown just on YT by making videos that engage people.
Yea Ive noticed they dont have big social media presence. I still like to use social media in meantime though since im not big yet. Ive got a new flow down to make it a little easier. Since i edit vidoes on my phone and then upload to youtube..

After that i will upload using instagram app. Instagram shortens it to 15 seconds. I create hashtags and a link to my youtube page on each video. Instagram has a hashtag counter to tell you how popular a keyword is. I just copy my instagram description with the hashtags and then use that same description for fb and vine.

I also then upload the 15 second video created by instagram to fb. Because fb creates a better clickable thumbnail if you upload video than if you linked a youtube page. And the vidoe i upload will mostly be a 15 second preview. Sometimes if im in the mood ill upload the whole video but usually i like to upload just the 15 seconds.

And i setup my youtube and other accounts to automatically update twitter when i post, so i dont even need to make a special post for that.

Social media not reallly helping us, but under my system its very easy and quick for me to post on extra social media accounts. So i do it anyways since it doesnt hurt. Also i tried following a bunch of fans of similar channels and it netted me 900 followers mostly of similar demographic. If i keep doin that ill have more instagram followers than youtube subscribers. Eventually one of them will visit my youtube i hope!

Instagram works best for kids channels. True, you can't post a video link on Instagram but I use it to alert our viewers every time a new video is uploaded, because so many kids don't subscribe. Helps to give them a heads-up.

I tend to post my videos all over the place. I promote them as much as I possibly can. As far as Facebook goes, I post on my wall, have a facebook page for my Youtube channel and also post in different groups there as well. I focus on groups related to my channel such as vlogging groups, asmr groups, beauty groups etc. But sometimes I will also post on Youtube groups too. Reddit has helped me a great deal in gaining views as well. Another place that helps a tad bit for me is posting my videos on Stumbleupon. I have tried posting on twitter, pinterest, etc. but haven't gained a ton of views from those other sources. It does seem to help, but most of my luck tends to come from facebook and reddit.

I've mostly stuck to FB groups that pertain to a particular topic that I've spoofed and whatnot. I need to look more into G+ groups actually. Reddit has been extremely hit or miss, even when I try to post in the most specific relevant categories. Ehhh. I also post things to Tumblr and tag them, but that's been lukewarm at best too.

I try my best to post it across all social media sites like Instagram, Twitter and Facebook, I'm not sure if they have been of much help but anything is better than nothing at this stage for sure. Hashtagging is definitely a big one for this though, especially instagram to get that traffic that you want. Reddit is real good as well, sometimes you get lucky on there and catch a big break. I'm currently in the process of looking for some Facebook groups that fit my genre and hopefully they'll be some luck with that

Back