Whats the best number and timing for Cards / Annotations?

SeanFace101

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Anyone know or figured out what time roughly in videos is the best to put cards and / or annotations? Just after the start of the video? Just before the end of the video?, etc.. ? Also, is it best to use up the full 5 spaces or just use one per video?

Uncivilized Elk

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Never unless another video or playlist is specifically mentioned. Then put it when it's mentioned.

/personalpreference

Last edited:

SeanFace101

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So do you never just put them on your videos promoting other of your videos, even if your playing video doesn't mention the promoted video? :p

ChrisLegend

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have a look at my average retention time and slip one in about 10 seconds before that. Another thing coming into the screen could help capture their attention again or they may click onto that. I've found this has really helped in increasing my retention time

SeanFace101

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have a look at my average retention time and slip one in about 10 seconds before that. Another thing coming into the screen could help capture their attention again or they may click onto that. I've found this has really helped in increasing my retention time
How do I find out my my average retention time? :p

Uncivilized Elk

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
So do you never just put them on your videos promoting other of your videos, even if your playing video doesn't mention the promoted video? :p
Not anymore. Tried it a bit when cards first came out; it achieves so little I no longer consider it worth the mild annoyance (from my own perspective as a viewer).
Now only when I mention a specific other video I already made when it's relevant to the current discussion do I bother to also throw a card in.

Reactions: SeanFace101

Whatwillhappenif?

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Depends on your analysis, after a few days it will show how long people watch it, but I prefer to start it from 30 second past from my video. :p

subversiveasset

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I do a variation of @ChrisLegend does.

In your analytics, go to "Audience Retention". It will default to show you average view duration, but you can switch it to average percentage watched.

I go a step further. From the Audience Retention analytics, you can then also see, by each video, what the retention is, and if you click on a video from the retention screen, it'll take you to another page where you can see by second what your audience retention is. I look for when the video dips below 50%, and around that time, I put in an annotation and card to another video.

SeanFace101

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I do a variation of @ChrisLegend does.

In your analytics, go to "Audience Retention". It will default to show you average view duration, but you can switch it to average percentage watched.

I go a step further. From the Audience Retention analytics, you can then also see, by each video, what the retention is, and if you click on a video from the retention screen, it'll take you to another page where you can see by second what your audience retention is. I look for when the video dips below 50%, and around that time, I put in an annotation and card to another video.
Nice, thanks :D

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I'm kind of a cards over-user. I add cards to other videos in the same series as well as the playlist for that series. I haven't heard any complaints about it, but now I'll have to rethink.