What do you use YouTube for? & How did you come about to use it?

xBlazingStar94x

Now by the name of ActuallyEmoTrash
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I spend so much of my time on YouTube that it actually might be unhealthy. So much so, I decided to write my university dissertation on YouTube linking it in with Users and Gratification Theory. I used to like making videos when I was 16 (2010-2011) but got super self conscious when people at my school found out and so I stopped (I was a shy kid). I started again, but doing gaming, last year. However, mainly I just watch a lot of videos now. I became obsessed with YouTube through watching tutorials on how to create special effects (This is why I ended up taking a film course). I kind of want to make sketches for YouTube one day. I personally have found YouTube to influence my entire career choice. Sometimes YouTube has taught me more than other education so I am forever grateful for it.That is why I chose to write about it.

(Note: If anyone wants to help me out with some first hand information about what you use YouTube for, it would be super awesome if you could do my questionnaire for my research! Less than 10 questions. Just message me if you want to help.)

But other than that, I am still curious as to what you guys use YouTube for and what got you to keep going back?

Last edited:

newage

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I make tutorials for modding gaming hardware. I plan on doing more with it, but that's really it for right now.

Comes from watching crappy videos with kids holding shaky cameras while vaguely explaining how to modify hardware. I wanted to make something better than what was currently available.

xBlazingStar94x

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I make tutorials for modding gaming hardware. I plan on doing more with it, but that's really it for right now.

Comes from watching crappy videos with kids holding shaky cameras while vaguely explaining how to modify hardware. I wanted to make something better than what was currently available.
Shaky cams were the worst when I used to watch tutorials. Especially when they were holding it up to a computer screen haha

Reactions: Branden Morales

Branden Morales

ENJOYING THE PATH OF LIFE. WHICH IS PIZZA.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I do agree with you! Youtube has taught me so much about everything! I remember when I first started out I was scared of people knowing about my channel. After I left college I felt more open. Pretty much everybody around me knows this is what i do lol. I use it like a diary, but also an outlet to reach across to people :) that's the mission

Reactions: xBlazingStar94x

xBlazingStar94x

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I do agree with you! Youtube has taught me so much about everything! I remember when I first started out I was scared of people knowing about my channel. After I left college I felt more open. Pretty much everybody around me knows this is what i do lol. I use it like a diary, but also an outlet to reach across to people :) that's the mission
I get you completely! When I started university, I eventually became more open as weel. When I started doing live streaming, I told people about my channel (still terrified of being judged) some of my friends even joined in with making video with me. My problem is I prefer to be behind the scene making films. I didn't feel right talking to a camera. I did when I was 16 but I think people put me off a bit. I hope you achieve your goal/mission :)

Reactions: Branden Morales

MattyGreen

Music and Mess...
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I use it for everything. From learning new things to entertainment. As far as what I make, I use it as a place to release music I make and a place to put whatever I feel like onto. Its also amazing for looking at back at where you used to be as to where you are now!

I also wrote about it for University projects and this year it'll be part of my major project! I do music business so looking at YouTube and social media is what I'm all about!

Reactions: xBlazingStar94x

WeirdoVivi

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I use youtube for a bunch of stuff.

Personally, I make a few different types of content. I have one channel (Vipensity) for music tutorials, and livestreams, and another (WeirdoVivi) for vlogs and other such stuff.

Youtube tutorials taught me a TON about music when I was starting out, and now I make my own as a way to give back to the community.

On the other side of the coin, I just vlog because it's quite fun.

That's basically it for me.

xBlazingStar94x

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It really does interest me the fact so many people use YouTube to learn. I think is is amazing.

xBlazingStar94x

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I know how you feel, they really need to start incorporating youtube in to schools and teaching.
Depends on to what extent.I had a teacher who would always tell us to 'YouTube it'. Bare in mind, I always do this before I ask for help anyway. This was in college (England college not university) so I understood there was a bit more independent learning but every time I would ask, it would be constantly 'go look it up' or 'YouTube it' and I thought, well I can do that at home and in this case, there is nothing to help me. I sometimes prefer that 1 on 1 teaching of 'show me personally so I can ask questions and learn at a different pace or can you show me a different way of doing thing'. I love learning on YouTube but sometimes it is nice to show you in person so basically, I do agree with this statement. It would be nice to have an equal balance.