Tips with using Facebook adds

LIAMODEARME

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey everyone,

Last night I paid for a $10 facebook ad to try and get more views on my youtube trailer video. I don't do this with every video but this one described my channel so I thought it was worth it.

Unfortunately after an hour the add got taken down as I had over 20% of text in my thumb nail. For that hour however I received 124 unique views from people who otherwise wouldn't have found me.

I received 6 likes during that time, which for me is pretty amazing for only 1 hour. Those likes were on facebook not on the actual video. I woke up and saw these six likes on facebook and thought, holly cow thats awesome! I must have 6 new subscribers, as the only people who would like this particular video are people who would subscribe.

I went over to my video and my subscription number didn't go up at all.

So my question is, why didn't they subscribe? What should I try to do differently in the next facebook ad to help me with this? Should I perhaps post a picture with the ad of the thumb nail but put the link in the advertisement for them to click which will take them to the actual youtube page.

Anyway, does anyone have any experience with facebook advertisements? Hopefully someone can help me understand this. Thanks!

I cant put the video up here or a picture of the advertisement but you can find it all on my LIAMODEARME facebook page. The icon is the same as my display picture on this site.

Thanks in advanced!

coliwob

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I don't know much about this myself. But I have been looking around for ways to advertise.

I did see a thread recently where people were saying that facebook ads were a waste of money.

I guess that the subscribe button is quite a long way from the face book like button. Isn't that little thumbs up basically like adding lol into online conversations, whereas actually going on to subscribe is like actually laughing out loud.

idk, its all very confusing.

Reactions: LIAMODEARME

Celsus

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I wouldn't put too much stock in facebook, I always get numbers back every day saying that I've received x amount of views but I never see any of my post getting numbers, My assumption is facebook is feeding numbers to your page even though no one is actually seeing it. I could be completely wrong on this, but that's just my thoughts on it.

coliwob

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I wouldn't put too much stock in facebook, I always get numbers back every day saying that I've received x amount of views but I never see any of my post getting numbers, My assumption is facebook is feeding numbers to your page even though no one is actually seeing it. I could be completely wrong on this, but that's just my thoughts on it.
You mean x amount of views on what?
post - facebook post that was boosted?
page - facebook page?

I don't know about the dubiousness - If all the sets of numbers are all from facebook, surely they are intelligent enough to not leave a glaring hole in the numbers like that - if its false that is.

Celsus

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Meaning the amount of views my page was getting vs how many people it reached on individual post. Basically if someone comes to your page, at least a small amount should be going to your post, if nothing reaches your post that's a small indicator. But as again, there's no statistical data to back it up, so it's just an opinion. As far as a company being dubious that is a very likely scenario with any company looking to make money.

coliwob

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I have no idea how any of the facebook analytics works. I don't even know why I am trying to give them the benefit of the doubt - I have a little voice in my head that sort of constantly goes, "now be nice colin."

I have heard a number of reports on this forum in the last few days that state that expected results from facebook advertising fell way below what was expected, and that facebook didn't care.

I don't think I'll be trying them when I do pay for ads.

Celsus

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Not to say they don't work, just haven't seen any results out of them. Really the only advert that's got me any traffic that used my post have been traffic that I've sent through facebook. Now don't get me wrong, I think they'll help in the future. For example if you become a bigger channel, i'm pretty sure people will want you to use Social media for updates, since not everyone uses the competition it will help retention and possibly by your audience sharing your post. But if you're looking for results from facebook I wouldn't put to much stock into them.

coliwob

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Have you spend money elsewhere, I have a little budget and want to get the most bang for my bucks.. I have been looking at twitter users

Celsus

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Have you spend money elsewhere, I have a little budget and want to get the most bang for my bucks.. I have been looking at twitter users
That I haven't, I've tried to do research but not really found any good leads that don't requires the cost of a small fortune.

LIAMODEARME

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks for this discussion guys, I would also be interested in who to throw money at when I do need to advertise. Perhaps Google ad? They have an extensive analytical system and might be worth a shot.

I've paid for fb ads in the past and honestly never get much out of it. I suppose I've been silly in the past.

Liam[DOUBLEPOST=1455153173,1455068792][/DOUBLEPOST]Ok, so I just wanted to update this thread with my findings.

I re-did my facebook ad. I put up a picture instead of a link, short text, stunning smile the whole thing. Woke up the next day had A NEW 6 likes from 6 different people from the day before. Went to look at youtube no new views OR subscribers from facebook.

So... I don't know whats going on or why these people just wander around facebook liking things but I would say this facebook advertising thing is a little too confusing for me to bother with again.

Anyway thats been my experience.

Liam xoxo

Reactions: Celsus