Small channels TURN ADS OFF!

I do agree with you. i believe you should turn on ads if you making aleast 1k view each video. it make no sense on trying to make money, when you dont even have people watching you as yet.

I started a second channel and those videos were basically 30-60 seconds. In that case, I turned off ads because a banner ad would be present for a large portion of the video. As for allowing pre-roll ads, if the ad is just as long or longer than my video, then it's a bad deal for consumers.

Like I said above... why do only "big" youtubers deserve money.

If it was all about the money, they're in the wrong industry to begin with... but that's the least of the issues.

The main reason is simple- when presented with multiple options, people on the whole migrate to (and trust) more popular brands. If faced with two videos, one with thousands or millions of views and a healthy upvote ratio and another with only 100 views, they're more inclined to visit the one with more, not less views.

Likewise, if they click the one with less views and are faced with an ad, there's a far greater chance that they'll click away in the 5 seconds instead of waiting to actually watch the relatively unknown video.

It has nothing to do with smaller channels not deserving money. It has to do with the higher potential for viewers to leave when they're not yet established.... and, when a channel is first starting out, the risk of one person leaving should outweigh the potential to earn a few cents.

How will you improve your contents quality without buying equipment? Youtube will literally pay for that if you turn on ads. Sure not right away, but the people viewing your videos WANT to support you... and all they have to do is watch an ad.

...which brings me to my second point- YouTube doesn't pay small channels.

With the $100 threshold, the average small channel would need between 150k-500k views... at that point, they are hardly considered "small" to most.

There is no point in monetizing and risking the potential loss of views if you're never going to collect the income from YouTube. Unless you can earn a check in a few months, why bother? Is potentially losing a view really worth the $100 check you may (or may not) receive in a few years?

Frankly if you're too lazy to press skip ad on my channel and click off right away, thats on you.. not me!

It's not a matter of laziness. When shopping for a item, do you purchase the one with thousands of positive reviews or the item with none?

In a time when people decide if something is worth their time watching within a second, making people wait 5 (just to hit 'skip') on an unknown property is asking a lot.

...which brings me to my second point- YouTube doesn't pay small channels.

With the $100 threshold, the average small channel would need between 150k-500k views... at that point, they are hardly considered "small" to most.

There is no point in monetizing and risking the potential loss of views if you're never going to collect the income from YouTube. Unless you can earn a check in a few months, why bother? Is potentially losing a view really worth the $100 check you may (or may not) receive in a few years?

I do not have 150k views and I have received money from YouTube. I will be putting that right back into my channel for my viewers. I 100% wholeheartedly agree that you cannot be on YouTube for the purpose of making money because I have not received money to even pay my rent / monthly groceries... However, I am very happy that I can take the money I've earned to make higher quality videos for my audience. I strongly believe everyone should do the same. Can't say you wont earn money unless you actually try.

It's not a matter of laziness. When shopping for a item, do you purchase the one with thousands of positive reviews or the item with none?

I don't see the relevance? Obvy higher viewed videos will grab more attention. Has nothing to do with monetization.

In a time when people decide if something is worth their time watching within a second, making people wait 5 (just to hit 'skip') on an unknown property is asking a lot.
You do realize that monetizing is not JUST skippable ads. There can be ads beside the videos, not even on them, and I make money off it. There can be the popup ads during the video, or there can be ads in the middle of the video. I can literally choose which ads I want to appear on my videos. And looking at my audience retention, I know for a fact that my drop rate is no different on my videos with ads vs without. Cause not all my videos are monetized for copyright reasons.

How I do YouTube is that I put myself in the viewer's shoes; I think of what I would personally like to see on YouTube, then just do it myself.
I'm a lazy person and I don't like ads. So I have them turned off, and won't turn them on(unless I get huge and could potentially make some decent income). I don't think the 200 dollars I get from it isn't worth having some of my viewers get a bit frustrated watching my content. Of course you could get adblock, but if you're as lazy as I am, you don't want to bother installing it haha
When it comes down to it, this is just a thing that I'm doing for fun and I only want to please my viewers. Don't want to distract them from the content.

good advice man, but whats the pay per view again ?
There's no "pay per view", but rather "pay per advertisement click/view" or something along those lines. More views equals more chances for someone to watch the ad. Anyone that says otherwise is just ignorant. Views do correlate, but it's all arbitrary so it's hard to find an average estimate considering different types of content and demographics for example

There's no "pay per view", but rather "pay per advertisement click/view" or something along those lines. More views equals more chances for someone to watch the ad. Anyone that says otherwise is just ignorant. Views do correlate, but it's all arbitrary so it's hard to find an average estimate considering different types of content and demographics for example
thnx !

As this debate seems to still be going on (and will probably never end), here's an additional thing to add:

I was at Creator Day recently and someone asked the Youtube partner managers that were presenting this question. Their response is that unskipplable ads (which is not a default to begin with when you enable monetization) has been the only ad format that has been shown to drive away an audience, even on small channels, because people are used to skipping ads at this point. They encourage everyone to turn on monetization especially because of youtube's new system where you can send an email and get a response from a youtube representative within 24 hours only if you have monetization enabled. This is not available to creators who do not have monetization enabled.

The benefits outweigh the risks here. People who are that impatient to click away are in the minority.

Back