Small channels TURN ADS OFF!

I have it on and will keep it on. I have the one that can't be skipped turned off . You'll never know when you suddenly become a hit. I've seen a few people who suddenly got a million views just after somebody posted their video on reddit. And if it does happen, I will use the money to improve my channel and content.
Just my opinion dude but do you really believe its worth risking leaving the ads on and possibly sending hundreds of potential subs away instantly for a small chance of getting viral? Its up to you man i don't wanna put a downer on you just trying to voice my own opinion but best of luck to you my friend!

Just my opinion dude but do you really believe its worth risking leaving the ads on and possibly sending hundreds of potential subs away instantly for a small chance of getting viral? Its up to you man i don't wanna put a downer on you just trying to voice my own opinion but best of luck to you my friend!

no worries, point taken ^_^ Just stating my 2c too :) best of luck to you too :)

i did not have ads on when i first started, i thought like you, the money won't be much anyway so i won't be missing out. but then i watched a video (i think it was video creators on youtube) talking about it, and the thing is. people are so used to having ads that it doesn't really effect your numbers, (as long as you don't use too many such as non skippable ads, mid rolls etc) so i enabled monetisation (after 1 month) and saw it had no negative effect on my numbers. so basically its free money (only a small amount but it all counts)

Not this discussion again.
Heres a copy of my posts from the last time this was brought up, now with new stuff added in:

To the people on here who get turned off by ads on small channels and leave, why? Does a few seconds of waiting upset you that much, even while you have your own channel that you hope others will support by viewing your ads one day?

Most people who are that upset by ads already have ad blocker. Perhaps you should consider getting that too so you can still watch youtube videos and support creators by increasing their view (and maybe subscriber) count, even if not supporting them financially. And yes, I know some "turned off" people might not get adblock because they want to support the youtubers they do deem worthy, but that's what the whitelist is for. And most people who don't have ad blocker installed accept ads as a part of youtube (and the internet in general) and hardly notice them anymore.

I just really don't get why having less than an arbitrary number of views suddenly makes "small youtubers" (which is a relative term. Is it under 5k subs? 10k? 100k?) money hungry. They put in the work and allowed monetization just like any other channel, in the hopes they will get a little return from it. Whether that return is 500 dollars, 5 dollars, or 5 cents. Making that distinction just seems arbitrary to me. 5 cents still supports the youtuber, even if it isn't much.

A lot of creators, big and small, invest so much time and money into their craft. They care very much about creating videos and giving their viewers a nice experience, which is why they choose to make videos in the first place. They just also would like to at least maybe break even someday. And hey, if they upload a lot of videos making pennies, it will add up and they'll get to that 5 dollars. That little bit of money might be used in making that channel even greater for their subscribers.

Why would I want to attract an audience that hates ads that much anyway, if I aspire to make a living from youtube one day? Or if it's the case where they're the type who thinks I'm "undeserving" because I make $5 per video instead of $5000, I wouldn't want that in an audience either. I can live without having such easily turned off viewers that despite their annoyance don't bother to get adblock. I'll take the hit on potentially having a slightly smaller audience (although there's no way to know for sure), in order to build a fanbase that actually wants to support me, and maybe thinks my videos are worth something, even 5 extra seconds of their time.

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree. And if my channel is too money-grabbing for you, that's cool- I'm sure there are others out there who feel the same as me and don't mind.

Last edited:
I used to have them turned off but I turned them on so I can have scheduled uploads because if I didn't schedule my uploads all of my videos would come out really late :p

It has been discussed many times before, but don't forget Youtube is a company that makes a loss every year since it started. They need money to run the service and while each penny might not be important to you, it is important to them (it ads up).
Many people believe that the Youtube algorithm favors content with ads, I believe that as well.

My advice is to never turn it off, has more benefits to you and no bad effects. I don't think I would even notice if someone turned it off, it's not that every video you watch gets ads anyways.

Last edited:
I don't think the average person notices ads are turned off. They just think that they were lucky this video. I would guess the average person doesn't even know that creators can choose to turn off ads.

The theory that ads on small channels repel viewers would mean viewers have to realize Youtubers can turn off ads, they look at sub count while watching the video and get angry based some arbitrary big/small Youtuber threshold.

IMO the only people would would think like this are other Youtubers. I'm a Youtuber and I don't even look at people's sub counts that closely. I just watch the video and decide if it is good or not, without the consideration of ads. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd like to see proof.

I'm unsure if anybody feels the same as me but you see ALOT of the big youtubers have ads (obviously this is primarily their source of income) so that is understandable. What i can't understand is why small channels have ads turned on? Most videos get a few hundred or few thousands views but you are only talking of making like $1.

This is my personal opinion, i feel it's pointless to have the ads on as it turns viewers away INSTANTLY if they have to sit through ads on a small channel where the content (might) not be very appealing.

Just my opinion guys! SMALL CHANNELS TURN ADS OFF YOU WILL GET BETTER INTERACTION, RETENTION AND SHARES :)

It is my understanding that youtube will promote, relate and suggest vids with adds more than vids without adds.

Back