Should smaller YouTubers make their videos shorter?

MetalKidz

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hello I'm Tuurngait!
So I've been wondering... should small YouTubers make their videos shorter than usual?

My thoughts behind this are:

Less people will be watching your content, so if you keep it at a short range of 5-8 or so minutes, a person new to your channel might be more tempted to watch it because they'd rather not sit around 15-20 minutes watching content of a channel they've never heard of.

What do you think?
I've heard from one youtuber, he said if our video is too long, people will get bored watching it. But still if your video is good enough,it will be fun watching it even though it is long.So in my opinion, the quality of our videos should we take as priority :)

GadVeen

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Hello I'm Tuurngait!
So I've been wondering... should small YouTubers make their videos shorter than usual?
What do you think?
The best judge will be your own videos. If you look at audience retention and view timings, it will give you a good idea WHEN or HOW LONG does your viewers watch each video. This analytics can be used to decide upon how long you want your videos to be.

Eg. if you make a 10mins videos, and you notice that YOUR viewers retention goes down drastically after 6mins almost consistently for most of the videos in a series, then 5-6mins is the ideal video time for your video type.

Again, this might change for each type of series you have in your channel.

LifeWithKristen

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
My best tip is that if you can sit down and watch your whole video without getting bored, then you're doing something right & I'm sure others will watch it too! :)

Tuurngait Gaming

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
My best tip is that if you can sit down and watch your whole video without getting bored, then you're doing something right & I'm sure others will watch it too! :)
Yeah, but the only problem with that is people typically enjoy their own creations a lot which is why constructive criticism is a thing.

Hi!MyNameIsJan

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Cartoonist
Good question, i had similar thoughts some days ago, but my main point was the quantity. I had to decide between two 2 min videos or one 4 min comedy video a week - in this case I went with the shorter option, because as a small channel i value subscriber growth the most ! For Let's Plays it's different : an uncut twenty minute video is the same work as a cut 8 min video - maybe even less. Check your viewer retention and which videos do better.
For me personaly - i click more often on short videos, especially gaming- if I don't know the Creator.

Gesendet von meinem Moto G (4) mit Tapatalk

MotionComedy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
Hey!

Good question. Personally, I think it depends on the type of video. Let's say you're a vlogger: people will expect longer videos because they want to find out more about you, what you get up to in your day etc, but if you're channel is based around gaming, it's not recommended to upload a 30 minute episode of a Let's Play. Take that episode and split it into 5 parts, that's 6 minutes per episode, and if people enjoy the series, they will keep coming back, as 6 minutes is much less than 30 and people can find time to watch that video!

Hope that helps!