Should I spend 6+ hours editing

S.A.D

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Ok ok I just gotta ask. A Youtuber just told me I should be spending this long editing a single video. I think thats a bit excessive.
Now if ur doing some crazy things or God like animation, ok sure. But for everyone else is it necessary. For me if I'm happy with the video, that's it.
Just thought I'd ask for opinions. Thanks.

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
What are you editing, that's taking 6 hours? It seems like a lot, unless it's especially complicated or technical.

Lakeyb85

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
i spend an hour editing and my editing is so bad, 6 and half hours is way over the top unless u have crazy effects

Sibernethy

Questin' for a Jestin'
Reaction score
Website
www.sibernethy.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Some of my videos take nearly six hours to completely edit and finish, just because of all the sound effects, music, and graphics I put in each video. Never mind if it's worth spending that long on it. Check back a week later and ask yourself "Am I glad I spent 6+ hours on that?"

Factually True

I've Got It
Reaction score
If you're happy with the video then there's no point in forcing yourself to edit it for many more hours, is there? :laugh2: It probably doesn't add much to your video at that point.

S.A.D

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
What are you editing, that's taking 6 hours? It seems like a lot, unless it's especially complicated or technical.
Well you see. I'm not taking 6+ hours. I was simply told i should. I think that just a little to compulsive[DOUBLEPOST=1470610031,1470609936][/DOUBLEPOST]
If you're happy with the video then there's no point in forcing yourself to edit it for many more hours, is there? :laugh2: It probably doesn't add much to your video at that point.
That's what I was thinking i just found the youtubers point to be... weird and he made it sound like I was not putting the work in.

Reactions: xingcat

Doobs

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Depending on the video, I take about 2 hours editing, with all of the jump cuts, little add-ins and what-not. It all depends on the video you make. Regular gameplays with commentary take around that time because it's one long clip being edited down to just the necessities. But I can see by looking at your channel, you do movie reviews and reactions, which I can assume take a lot of different clips and time consuming editing. 6 hours sounds about right if you spend the time really making it look to the best of your abilities.

S.A.D

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Depending on the video, I take about 2 hours editing, with all of the jump cuts, little add-ins and what-not. It all depends on the video you make. Regular gameplays with commentary take around that time because it's one long clip being edited down to just the necessities. But I can see by looking at your channel, you do movie reviews and reactions, which I can assume take a lot of different clips and time consuming editing. 6 hours sounds about right if you spend the time really making it look to the best of your abilities.
Well my videos are more along the lines of that of say Chris stuckman for example. more like video vlogs amd just me talking if front of the camera. With the mistakes and fat removed amd some visuals added[DOUBLEPOST=1470610333,1470610233][/DOUBLEPOST]
Some of my videos take nearly six hours to completely edit and finish, just because of all the sound effects, music, and graphics I put in each video. Never mind if it's worth spending that long on it. Check back a week later and ask yourself "Am I glad I spent 6+ hours on that?"
Thats a really good point u make. I suppose its what you see in value. I certainly don't spend that long. But I do see others doing so[DOUBLEPOST=1470610430][/DOUBLEPOST]
i spend an hour editing and my editing is so bad, 6 and half hours is way over the top unless u have crazy effects
I would recommend looking up youtube vids to improve I myself knew absolutely nothing about editing and now I know enough to get by

Reactions: Sibernethy

Doobs

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Yeah if you're just cutting one long piece of footage down I feel like it shouldn't take that long. It's always adding stuff here and there that would extend your editing time by a lot. (I made one little edit where the the game goes in slow motion up until something happens. That took me almost half an hour until I was happy with it lol)

S.A.D

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yeah if you're just cutting one long piece of footage down I feel like it shouldn't take that long. It's always adding stuff here and there that would extend your editing time by a lot. (I made one little edit where the the game goes in slow motion up until something happens. That took me almost half an hour until I was happy with it lol)
I want to make the videos more personal, let the people see my face an interact with me on a level at least. I don't want to add too much just keep to the old saying "less is more"